Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Following?

Versailles (yeah, in the chateau itself !)

Re: Re: Nice and Close together, now

Originally posted by Franck
    Well, this thread has not mentioned chocolate once so far, so I am not surprised

Franck.
    Did I hear chocolate !!!!

It took a while to read through all this and would take even longer to quote all these great comments guys !!!

In a beginners' class the girls are dancing with beginner boys right ?? They are both learning the moves at the same time but not necessarily learning about leading and following. That means that the girls pick up the moves, feel great that they've learned something and then spend the rest of the night anticipating the moves they have learned. Recipe for disaaster in many ways... As a very keen beginner I wanted to learn (recognise) as many moves as possible and as a result am a really bad follower.

We do not get exposed to good leads early enough (as some of these angels miss out the beginners' class !!!!) and on top of that so many men chrun out the same routine that you know EXACTLY what is coming next. :reallymad :reallymad :reallymad

Then when you dance with an interesting guy you get all tense and don't do what he wants. !!!!!!

Maybe the lead follow thing has to be made clearer EVERY beginners' class. Maybe we need to do those trust exercises where the boy walks round the room with the girls blindfolded or something. As has been said on many threads the girls closing her eyes is fab.

And telling someone to relax often makes them do the very opposite !!!

Wx

Blog Entries

Re: Re: Re: Re: Giving advice

Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
    [Secondly: if you weren't trying to get your leg over, perhaps you wouldn't be encountering this problem...

TAXI FOR MEEEEEE
    Trying to get his leg over WHAT exactly, is there a pile of something on the floor?, or a spilled drink? or a fellow dancer taking a rest?

You guys really didn't think we'd leave you alone in a thread all of your own did you?????

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Giving advice

Originally posted by Chicklet
    Trying to get his leg over WHAT exactly
    Last time Blue34 tried to get his leg over, he kicked the girl in the head - not kidding !!!!

And Chicklet we've gone and done what they said we'd do !!!!

Quick get this back on topic or we'll never live this down !!

Wx

Commercial Operator
    The hurdle, dear, the hurdle.

Commercial Operator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Giving advice

Originally posted by Wendy
    Last time Blue34 tried to get his leg over, he kicked the girl in the head - not kidding !!!!
    Wx
    Well, what was her head doing down there, anyway? I know it's a social dance.... but it is a family show.

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And Chicklet we've gone and done what they said we'd do !!!!

Quick get this back on topic or we'll never live this down !!
    How predictable

So go on, bring it back on topic... otherwise you might end up outside 2 days in a row

We do not get exposed to good leads early enough (as some of these angels miss out the beginners' class !!!!) and on top of that so many men chrun out the same routine that you know EXACTLY what is coming next.
    Well, you actually get exposed to good lead much sooner than in most other dance class I have been to or heard of! Usually people come with a partner and dance with them for the duration of the night!
    At least, you get to change partner and get the odd man who is not a beginner
    i agree thought that more effort could be put into encouraging the guys to be a bit more creative, but unfortunately, the Beginners class is not the best place to do this, Most men already struggle with learning the move / routine without having to think creatively as well! That sort of works is done at Beginners and Intermediate workshops. Sadly, not everyone realises how much they would benefit from a workshop.

Then when you dance with an interesting guy you get all tense and don't do what he wants. !!!!!!
    I have never noticed you do that with me, so obviously, I don't fall into that category (yet ) I'll keep practising...

Maybe we need to do those trust exercises where the boy walks round the room with the girls blindfolded or something.
    Now Wendy, you're letting your imagination (fantasies?) run riot

Franck.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Giving advice

Well, what was her head doing down there, anyway? I know it's a social dance.... but it is a family show.
    I think you'll have to ask him. Don't want Franck to Take me Outside !!! Something to do with being stiff from the day before ... his leg of course he'd been running or something !!
    Dave H taught him the move- HE'D never kick a girl in the head ....

Wx

Commercial Operator

Re: Giving advice

I think you'll have to ask him. Don't want Franck to Take me Outside !!! Something to do with being stiff from the day before ... his leg of course he'd been running or something !!
    I take it Dave H doesn't smell of fish either!?!?!?!?!??

Hard to say "no comment" when you are dying to say something else !!!!! Hands over mouth !!!!!

Wx

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Giving advice

Wx [/B][/QUOTE]

Except Chicklet

Blog Entries

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Giving advice

Sorry never been lucky enough to be close enough to tell. Maybe only on special occassions? But soon as I can speak from experience I'll post a thread....no actually I'm probably more likely to poke into someone else's thread really and thinking about it even more I think Dave H might be a smellies man.

Ladies - who likes a man to wear a strong smelly on the floor????

On topic now.

From a novice point of view I like a gentle but obvious lead ................and a firm body but not to muscley (sp anybody??) about 40ish dark and jewish looking and just heading for grey.
    Does anyone know if Jonathon Edwards can dance???Or I would swap the firm body for piano playing if anyone wanted to bring along David Baddiel.

Sorry.

And I LOVE it when a guy realises that I'm not being silly and trying to do my own thing I just don't know the move and therefore didn't read the signal for what it was. If he realises and talks me thru it and I get it I'm just pleased as punch.

Cx

Blog Entries

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Giving advice

Originally posted by Blue34

Wx
    Except Chicklet [/B][/QUOTE]

he'd have to catch her first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wendy
    [B]Last time Blue34 tried to get his leg over, he kicked the girl in the head - not kidding !!!!

Wendy stop gossiping about me on the forum or I'll tell everyone what you showed me in Dundee.

Originally posted by Franck
    Well, you actually get exposed to good lead much sooner than in most other dance class I have been to or heard of! At least, you get to change partner and get the odd man who is not a beginner
    True...... but we have a lot of exposure to beginner men at the beginning !!!! (which obviously can't be helped !!!) and even worse than that, some of us feel obliged to dance as men in the class and that must be bad news for beginner women -I know I must be an awful lead !!! maybe we shouldn't do that ???

I agree though that more effort could be put into encouraging the guys to be a bit more creative, but unfortunately, the Beginners class is not the best place to do this,
    Not recommending that AT ALL !!!! AFTER the class I meant !!!

Sadly, not everyone realises how much they would benefit from a workshop.
    Totally agree !!! I would go every week if I could ! As I've said a million times before (you'll be thinking) why can't the beginners class be more like a workshop - the moves are less important than the lead follow thing surely or the complaint made at the beginning of this thread would not have been made !!! Or the Intermediate classs could be more like a workshop !!! This reminds me of the chat with GUS - is it teaching or entertainment !!! You don't get BETTER by learning new moves !!!!!!!

I have never noticed you do that with me (yet )
    Well, I'm sure I do - you charmer !!!!

Now Wendy, you're letting your imagination (fantasies?) run riot
    No I wasn't for once. Although now you've got me started !!!!

The only advise I give a girl in class is not to look at the teacher as it makes my job more difficult. I only do this in the intermediate class as by the time a girl is in the intermediate class she should be able to follow my lead.

This helps me in that I know I can lead the move if the girl goes in the right direction whilst if they are following the girl on stage then then I may as well not be leading. I find that learning the steps of a move is less important than learning how the move feels when it goes right and then I recreate that, I don't remember the steps or the hand positions etc, and I find this makes learning moves step by step for me very difficult.

for example I cannot break a pretzel down into each separate beat but know how the move flows and feels.

This probably makes me a nightmare in class because I watch the move and see if I can recreate the whole thing, breaking it down into steps doesn't work for me.

Anyway getting back to the point. I always make a point of attending the begginer class whenever I can, mainly because there is always something new to learn and I always remember certain ladies who were obviously experienced making it a lot easier for me when I was learning. A good begginers class should have a mixture of begginers and intermediates, that way it is not a case of the blind leading the blind.

The only time I sit out a begginer class if is there is too many guys, too many people arrive just in time for the intermediate class and are not there at the begginer class. If more intermediates attended then life would be a lot easier on begginers.

Re: Re: Re: Nice and Close together, now

We do not get exposed to good leads early enough (as some of these angels miss out the beginners' class !!!!)
    I don't understand why 'good' leads (& followers) don't go to the beginner's classes? It's the basics; what everything else is based on - it gives an excelent opportunity to hone them and get your placement right.
    and on top of that so many men chrun out the same routine that you know EXACTLY what is coming next. :reallymad :reallymad :reallymad
    Curious: would you prefer to dance with a lead that knew his routine so well that he can lead it really niceley, OR someone who was trying out new moves, and so didn't know how to lead them properly yet?

{...need to work on some new moves...}

Re: Re: Re: Re: Nice and Close together, now

Originally posted by Gadget
    I don't understand why 'good' leads (& followers) don't go to the beginner's classes? It's the basics; what everything else is based on - it gives an excelent opportunity to hone them and get your placement right.
    Agree 100%
    Curious: would you prefer to dance with a lead that knew his routine so well that he can lead it really niceley, OR someone who was trying out new moves, and so didn't know how to lead them properly yet?
    I don't want to dance a routine unless I'm in a cabaret !!! A routine leaves no room for the music !!!! Unless you always dance the same routine to the same record yawn !!!! And anyway he doesn't have to lead cos I know exactly what he's going to do !!! Seriously I know a lot of guys like this and as a beginner I thought they were great and now I'm bored to death !!!

Isn't practising new moves what the entire intermediate class is for already ???? I 'm happy to let the guy practise new moves he's picked up at a workshop or something and talk it through etc etc and even in the middle of a dance but not at parties and not when it's Cantaloop....

Wx

Blog Entries
    ..some of us feel obliged to dance as men in the class and that must be bad news for beginner women -I know I must be an awful lead !!! maybe we shouldn't do that ???
    I disagree, Wendy. I dance as (like? *lol*) a man quite often in a beginners class, and I've found it's really helped my following skills, as I know now what makes things harder for the leader, and so I try not to do it myself!

Besides, people tell me that women make good leads, as they're more aware of what's needed.

Originally posted by Lou
    I disagree, Wendy. I dance as (like? *lol*) a man quite often in a beginners class, and I've found it's really helped my following skills, as I know now what makes things harder for the leader, and so I try not to do it myself!

Besides, people tell me that women make good leads, as they're more aware of what's needed.
    Maybe I'm secretly worried that women are better leads and then they'd think we didn't need them at all !!!!

Wxx

The Forum Legend
    Maybe I'm secretly worried that women are better leads and then they'd think we didn't need them at all !!!!
    What about the men who are better followers than the women??

Steve

Thread Information