View Poll Results: Are there too many weekenders now?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definately yes

10 24.39%
  • Definately no

7 17.07%
  • Yes, im being more selective now

10 24.39%
  • No+ im being more selective despite this

6 14.63%
  • i'd go to more if i could afford to

14 34.15%
  • Nope, I think it's just right

0 0%
  • i'm going less due to the cost

0 0%
  • i prefer to go to regular freestyles

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Too many weekenders?

Re: Too many weekenders?

Sorry to interrupt the bathing...

Swish is in "Potters", in Suffolk in February 2007. It's "luxury", and the prices from £169 reflect this.

Splash is in the Winter Gardens and Tower Ballroom in Blackpool, November 2007. Accommodation is not included.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    *I.e. I can't be bothered looking up the list of all the extra Ceroc weekenders and working out how many extra...Its Saturday lunchtime, I'm feeling lazy.
    Now I've seen the flier (and Breeze is running again Oct 07) - that's 8 weekenders Ceroc are planning between Sep 06 and Nov 07 with over 11,000 spaces to sell. That's a lot of extra weekender places to fill.

With that many extra, will every 'big' weekender continue to sell out (or almost sell out) in 2007? Will any cease to be economically viable (I have no idea the profit margins on these events)? Or will several thousand new dancers start going to weekenders and the market steadily increase?

There is ....no just right ......in the poll

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Now I've seen the flier (and Breeze is running again Oct 07) - that's 8 weekenders Ceroc are planning between Sep 06 and Nov 07 with over 11,000 spaces to sell. That's a lot of extra weekender places to fill.

With that many extra, will every 'big' weekender continue to sell out (or almost sell out) in 2007? Will any cease to be economically viable (I have no idea the profit margins on these events)? Or will several thousand new dancers start going to weekenders and the market steadily increase?
    I think all the gimmicks that ceroc has wont last the course ie book now pay £29 book then pay £109 type stuff. its a them and us situation

Im leaning towards francos method of booking amd payment

I resent having to pay 100% upfront for something months in advance. perhaps 20% non refundable deposit

I dont think many will suffer in 2007 as most are new but 2008 will be interesting when the herd mentaility has died down a bit

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    I dont think many will suffer in 2007 as most are new but 2008 will be interesting when the herd mentaility has died down a bit
    or we have found the love of our lives and sitting on the sofa with a take-away

Interesting point.
    At the moment I think the perception is that Southport is the flagship event. Lets face it there was more than 80 people (ok, based only on the forum) that responded positively to the attendance question.

Given that the location and the venue is so fitting in Southport i.e. half way down the UK, great blues room and so on I cant see any reason why this trend won't continue.

Ceroc will probably be able to generate good attendences at their weekenders due to their marketing clout but I doubt they will all be consistently full.

Im wondering if Ceroc need a 'flagship' event of their own. An event that stands out above the others. Their weekends are already very well put together but will they ever outshine Southport? Should they even bother trying? Im not sure.
    The ceroc weekenders already have a few nice touches, however tacky some may see them e.g. films, bingo , video clinics etc. However, would a Ceroc weekender ever become as popular as the Southport ones?

The only reason I am saying all this is because the competition element often benefits the dancers

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ooh, glad this has floated up again...

Based on Ceroc's own figures, there are about 60K "regular ceroc dancers" (presumably in the UK. though that isn't clear).

So, one presumes a potential market of at least 60K attendees, even if every regular dancer only went on 1 weekender a year. So 11K places sounds like a lot, but I think there's still a lot of scope for expansion.

I think the weekender marketplace has changed a lot in the past year, and for the better - the other two big venue operators (Franco and Jive addiction) have both responded to the competition by raising their game, in terms of quantity and quality.

So far, it's a win-win proposition for the punters.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post

Sorry Fletch, that just about sums up what's gone wrong with our culture.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Sorry Fletch, that just about sums up what's gone wrong with our culture.
    So you saying we should be eating a curry with the love of our lifes before we hit the blues room . Explain please

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    Interesting point.
    At the moment I think the perception is that Southport is the flagship event. Lets face it there was more than 80 people (ok, based only on the forum) that responded positively to the attendance question.

Im not talking about 'herd' mentaility re forum or even generally

Just new venues will attract a crowd who will try it out and say na not for me and after a while people will settle down to maybe 2 or 3 weekenders a year , who knows ?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    So far, it's a win-win proposition for the punters.
    Definitely. With the low priced Ceroc events I can afford to go on a weekender, including flight costs, for a very affordable price. Whether this will continue I'm not sure.

But I'm going to get more selective as of 2007 - hang on, I've already got 4 booked(!) - anyway, I'm going to get even more selective as of 2008...

But I'm going to get more selective as of 2007 - hang on, I've already got 4 booked(!) - anyway, I'm going to get even more selective as of 2008...
    doing 9 this year, keep on seeing you Lynn so i must restrain too.

.. people will settle down to maybe 2 or 3 weekenders a year , who knows ?
    well ok for me 9, but now there are too many to do all, what other life!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    Interesting point.
    At the moment I think the perception is that Southport is the flagship event. ..

Given that the location and the venue is so fitting in Southport i.e. half way down the UK, great blues room and so on I cant see any reason why this trend won't continue.

Ceroc ..doubt they will all be consistently full.

Im wondering if Ceroc .. will they ever outshine Southport? Should they even bother trying? Im not sure.
    The ceroc weekenders already have a few nice touches..would a Ceroc weekender ever become as popular as the Southport ones?

The only reason I am saying all this is because the competition element often benefits the dancers
    So Agree Paul F, I Like Southport and also Franco's offerings . Also, the People who know how to dance then get to learn about these weekends .
    The Ceroc venues and wider cast net, over all experience levels, will leave them a close second in many eyes.

Dont get me wrong this is my 2nd Ceroc weekender and I plan many more

Never eliteism , just slightly less taxi dancing on the favourite holiday. as we all learn each day.

[QUOTE=Dynamo;285821]:
    well ok for me 9, but now there are too many to do all, what other life!!

[QUOTE]

I have lost count for me this year I need to look in my Diary I think its 12 and also Beach Boggie

I will miss this weekend

But have next to lookforward to

I like having the choise also I feel my dancing does move on at a weekender.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo View Post
    :

The Ceroc venues and wider cast net, over all experience levels, will leave them a close second in many eyes.

Dont get me wrong this is my 2nd Ceroc weekender and I plan many more

Never eliteism , just slightly less taxi dancing on the favourite holiday. as we all learn each day.

Ive saw no evidence of less expereince dancers at Ceroc Camber in March against Southport . maybe this will happen

ex.Brum, now in limbo somewhere in the Midlands

I myself don't mind the increase in weekenders as it can benefit the punters, but I myself select about three per year now as I like my confort and sun so I rather save my money and holiday time, and go on the dance holidays. I have been abroad on John and Wes's holidays and for me they are worth it in terms of money and value then going on ex amount of weekends to those holiday camps. I can do it in the summer at Southport but I remember doing it a couple of times in the winter a couple of years ago and I hated it apart from the Bogner one as that is Butlins and the appartments are much better, why can't use we the one at Skegness in the winter instead of Southport pontin's or is there a reason? I am myself am looking forward to the Gran Canaries in Dec, and if it as good as the Spain holidays I will be well made up.

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sidney View Post
    I can do it in the summer at Southport but I remember doing it a couple of times in the winter a couple of years ago and I hated it
    Southport weekends in the winter? I must have missed that. Until next year, they've only been in June and September. And the weather in September has generally been pretty good on 2 of the 3 occasions they've had them so far as I recall...

Of course, next year, there's February too. I'll still be going. Hardly ever see the inside of the chalet anyhow. Will probably not be dancing on the decking. But apart from that, I'm sure it'll be as fantastic as always...

I meant Camber is where I went in the winter, and thats why I just stick with Southport like you say the weather is still good in Sept.

The Forum Legend

Ah, it becomes clearer now.

Though, I always preferred the Camber in November. It wasn't so hot in the halls then. Can be pretty unbearable if it's a hot day, with very little ventilation.

That's why the blues room at Southport is always fantastic. Maybe they could knock down one of the walls at Camber....

I do like the blues room at Camber as it is dark and you can hide if you get a bad dancer where at Southport it is agony when that happens and the good dancers make a quick exit when they see you coming towards them after that BAD dance

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo View Post
    doing 9 this year, keep on seeing you Lynn so i must restrain too.
    What, from seeing me?

This year I have already been on 5, plus a weeks dance holiday, and going to Breeze next weekend. But I have gone for variety - the hotel break one (Scarborough), Southport (twice) and two budget Ceroc ones.

I didn't get to come over to Scotland this year. But booked for Blaze neat year!

Thread Information