View Poll Results: Are there too many weekenders now?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definately yes

10 24.39%
  • Definately no

7 17.07%
  • Yes, im being more selective now

10 24.39%
  • No+ im being more selective despite this

6 14.63%
  • i'd go to more if i could afford to

14 34.15%
  • Nope, I think it's just right

0 0%
  • i'm going less due to the cost

0 0%
  • i prefer to go to regular freestyles

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too many weekenders?

Too many weekenders?

Another poll,sorry.

Not too long ago there just 2 or 3 weekenders per year.

Now there are loads,i dont know how many( and no doubt somebody does!) but probably too many.

Vote,vote,vote
    Last edited by tiger; 30th-May-2006 at 07:16 PM.

Re: Too many weekenders?

Quote Originally Posted by tiger
    Another poll,sorry.

Not too long ago there just 2 or 3 weekenders per year.

Now there are loads,i dont know how many( and no doubt somebody does!) but probabley too many.

Vote,vote,vote

so true !

I was seriously thinking of my 'advance' weekender thingy - but DEFINITELY not doing it now, no point - plus I will loose lots of money as well as wasting lots more time

Most weekenders use 2 work holiday days and with only 20 in total to use, that is 10 weekenders and no REAL "in-the-sun" or "get-away-from-it-all" time holiday

what am I saying - 10 weekenders that's one nearly every month

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Not until Little Miss Commitmentphobe can "afford" to book the week before instead of having to plan a year in advance. Bring 'em on.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M

so true !

I was seriously thinking of my 'advance' weekender thingy - but DEFINITELY not doing it now, no point - plus I will loose lots of money as well as wasting lots more time

Most weekenders use 2 work holiday days and with only 20 in total to use, that is 10 weekenders and no REAL "in-the-sun" or "get-away-from-it-all" time holiday

what am I saying - 10 weekenders that's one nearly every month

Just discussing this very topic with a couple of friends the other day!!
    Personally I need my " in the sun " "get away from it all holiday", much as I love dancing. As for too many weekenders, there probably are too many now, if you feel compelled to go to them all, I doubt if people could afford the time or cash needed to go on them all and so would have to be more selective in deciding which ones they will support.
    I think I would much prefer to do what you did Minnie, and plan a long weekend/holiday in the USA at some WCS convention such as you did in Boston.
    Although I enjoyed my Southport experience,it was rather too crowded for my liking, and the classes were so busy you could hardly catch a glimpse of the teachers, so the holiday camp idea, with the very basic, sometimes dirty chalet accommodation, does not rock my boat.
    I like my comfort, so a weekender in a 3/4*hotel , with smaller numbers, nice meals laid on, more intimate atmosphere, is where I would spend my hard earned cash.
    I'm looking forward to my summer holiday in Australia this year- I'm staying with David Chu and he has promised to take me dancing every night in Melbourne.

Heather

Quote Originally Posted by Heather
    ...........I'm looking forward to my summer holiday in Australia this year- I'm staying with David Chu and he has promised to take me dancing every night in Melbourne..........
    wow ! sounds fantastic quite jealous

Mind you, with all our Oz cousins maybe we chould do an exchange weekend

BTW Boston was really fab........... maybe I can get a crowd from the forum to join me next year - if not Boston to possibly another US dance weekend. Personally the Boston Tea Party in March is possibly one of the cheapest for the event and the air fair

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

I don't see the problem with more weekenders – you don't have to go to them all – you don't even need to go to any.

So maybe the dancers will be spread thinner across weekenders... I don't know, but I don't think I'll be able to dance with all ~700+ women who'll be at Southport this weekend. Even if it were half the size, I'm sure it'd still be worth going to.

I think the UK can easily sustain a fairly large weekender every month of the year – and the extra choice is good for us all.

Some events will be more popular than others – if you can only do one weekend a year, I'd expect an event like Southport will always be a likely choice.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

The Forum Legend

Indeed.

The more weekenders, the more choice, and (hopefully), the more raising of the bar by the organisers in order to persuade you to go to their events.

As Ducasi said, no-one is forcing anyone to attend, so the more the better I think. Though, the organisers themselves might not agree

wow ! sounds fantastic quite jealous

Mind you, with all our Oz cousins maybe we chould do an exchange weekend

BTW Boston was really fab........... maybe I can get a crowd from the forum to join me next year - if not Boston to possibly another US dance weekend. Personally the Boston Tea Party in March is possibly one of the cheapest for the event and the air fair
    Sounds like a wicked idea - just been looking on the USA Champs site in Atlanta and the Liberty Swing site and it all looks extremely civilised!! Certainly very tempting if somewhat expensive for a weekend but it would be good to have a little more luxury once in a while - the Americans know how to do it in style, not a plasterboard apartment in sight!!.

I would certainly be game for a weekend in the USA next year (finances permitting) and the prospect of a WCS weekend even better. Keep me informed if you decide to organise something!

Quote Originally Posted by spikey blond
    .......I would certainly be game for a weekend in the USA next year (finances permitting) and the prospect of a WCS weekend even better. Keep me informed if you decide to organise something!

The hotel was a Shereton and there were 1,200 dancers (it was Lindy/WCS mixture - which added to the atmospher) the room was fabby fab and cost 85$ (not per person) you could sleep three in there as it was massive - with a large on-suite bathroom/shower etc. And the fare was approx. £250 (cheap because of the time of year) and the weekend itself was 109$ starting on the Thursday eve and finishing on Sunday pm - the weekend is full of workshops, dancing till 5am etc., and a full blown competition with the top dancers in the world (yes the world)

Why can't we do the same thing over here Rock Bottoms are the nearest to it, but their content is nothing like it

--ooOoo--

The hotel was a Shereton and there were 1,200 dancers (it was Lindy/WCS mixture - which added to the atmospher) the room was fabby fab and cost 85$ (not per person) you could sleep three in there as it was massive - with a large on-suite bathroom/shower etc. And the fare was approx. £250 (cheap because of the time of year) and the weekend itself was 109$ starting on the Thursday eve and finishing on Sunday pm - the weekend is full of workshops, dancing till 5am etc., and a full blown competition with the top dancers in the world (yes the world)

Why can't we do the same thing over here Rock Bottoms are the nearest to it, but their content is nothing like it
    I would be up for this

If I could sort child care

Where's the option "I've never ever been to a weekender" (I don't count the Beach Ballroom one cos that's home or the BFG cos I imagine the weekender's being spoken about are much bigger - I'm sure someone will sort me out if I'm wrong).

Got to say thanks to Heather for making my day re:

Quote Originally Posted by Heather
    Although I enjoyed my Southport experience,it was rather too crowded for my liking, and the classes were so busy you could hardly catch a glimpse of the teachers ... does not rock my boat.
    I've never been to Southport - hope to make it one day. But the above comment certainly makes me think I'm maybe happier at home cos busy ain't fun unless the dance floor is huge enough to cope.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    I don't see the problem with more weekenders – you don't have to go to them all – you don't even need to go to any..

Absolutely - it's like asking "Are there too many MJ dance classes in the UK?" or "Is there too much partner dancing on the TV?"

I'm not even sure if the question makes much sense - what does "too many" mean?
    • "Too many for me to go to?"
    • "Too many because the Island of Britain will sink because of the rhythmic jumping around?"

More MJ partner dancing is a Good Thing - OK, there may be less chance to see old friends, and dance with regular partners, but surely that's counterbalanced by the chance to make new ones*, and dance with new people? Or am I missing something here?

Until someone spells out the downside, I don't see what the problem is...

* Obviously, I speak about other people here, I'm far too anti-social to, you know, actually talk to people.

P.S. Yes, I know how I voted. Hey, if you want consistency, go and do Ceroc or something - this is a Tango forum, remember?

I've been thinking about this increase in number of weekenders. We currently have a situation where every big weekender is sold out or almost sold out. But now the number of weekenders available in late 2006 early 2007 has increased by a lot*, I can foresee some weekenders not selling as well.

For the punters this could be a good thing. Organisers will have to drop their price, improve their product etc. But even at that, there are only so many weekenders people can go on a year, as Minnie says, its not just the cost, its leave allowance. So there will need to be lots of 'new' weekender dancers' to fill all the spaces. And just as weekenders do well because they are so good everyone wants to go to them, if numbers start to drop people will think no-one wants to go to a particular one and therefore will not book...

Maybe its just me, perhaps my 'doing lots of weekenders' phase is waning. I didn't get the same kick out of dancing til dawn at Southport as I used to. (I still had a great weekend, but it was a combination of other factors).

I'm going to be much more selective in which weekenders I go to.

*I.e. I can't be bothered looking up the list of all the extra Ceroc weekenders and working out how many extra...Its Saturday lunchtime, I'm feeling lazy.

Saw on a Ceroc flyer last night two more weekenders!

First... Swish – can't remember where or when (sorry!)

Then next November 2007 – Splash in Blackpool.

Hope I've got these details right!

Ah, that's the 'posh' one, yes?
    And I think that's now reached the 'one too many' threshold for me.

Might continue to do Storm as I quite like Camber (and its gender balanced properly) and Blaze as its lovely to go up to Scotland (plus I'm already booked on both of those!), but I can only do so many weekenders per year so think I'll stick with Southport.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Saw on a Ceroc flyer last night two more weekenders!

Hope I've got these details right!
    Oooh, I've got a "name" idea - "Smash"
    Or "Squash"?
    "Splosh"?
    "Bish Bash Bosh"?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    Oooh, I've got a "name" idea - "Smash"
    Or "Squash"?
    "Splosh"?
    "Bish Bash Bosh"?
    I think you should get your trademark applications in a.s.a.p before Ceroc steal your ideas!

So that is now (correct me if I'm wrong) - Breeze, Blaze, Bliss, Swish, Splash, Storm and Chill - all Ceroc weekenders between Sep 06 and Nov 07? (That's not including the possiblity that Bliss and Breeze might run again in Sep and Oct 07) And of course, given the current form of announcing new ones every few weeks or so, there might be even more...

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    Oooh, I've got a "name" idea
    I think you're wrong, it's actually:
    "Swish"
    "Splash"
    "I was taking a bath"

SpinDr

Quote Originally Posted by spindr
    I think you're wrong, it's actually:
    "Swish"