Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Men dancing with men

Commercial Operator

Men dancing with men

I've noticed recently that this is becoming a more popular trend.I have been known on the odd occasion to indulge in this myself, but i often wonder how the ladies feel about it. Especially on a night where there are quite a lot of spare women who don't get many dances. I wonder how they feel if a guy never asks them to dance, but is willing to dance with another guy. Just curious

Re: Men dancing with men

If guys want to 'follow' they can still ask women there are some really fantastic female leads (eg: Lisa, Tiggerbabe, TazDev, Sparkles, Tesslish, Cruella etc etc)

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Thanks Minnie - but I have to say, for a lot of guys learning to follow, I think it must be much easier when dancing with another man.

Another guy is more likely to be strong enough to control a male follow, and/or tall enough to turn them without getting into serious difficulty. I'm reasonably short, and not particularly strong, so I have difficulty leading even the more experienced male follows if they are much taller than me, because their centres of gravity are not where I expect them to be, and they move differently too! I hasten to add I'm not mentioning any names, on the grounds that I might be in deep trouble.

Also, and I'm not sure if I can explain this properly, but just as I have trouble getting into the right mindset to lead a guy, because he ought to be leading me, a guy could potentially have the same problem (dancing with a woman = leading), where dancing with another guy is unusual enough that following doesn't make it much more strange! I'm sure MsFab and Cruella, as another pair of very submissive follower-leads, will be able to back me up on the difficulty of persuading ourselves to lead men .

Having said all that, I'm more than willing to dance with any guys that want to follow, because it can be great fun. Two guys I know that often ask me for a dance 'the wrong way round' are Captain Fantastic and Mr Darcy, and they are both great fun to lead, because they always get this wide-eyed excited look when they are led for the first time in a move that they would normally lead themselves, but never knew how cool it felt from the lady's point of view. to those two.

EDIT: In answer to the original question ( sorry), yes I think there are ladies that are bothered by men dancing together, particularly when there are lots of extra ladies, but it isn't too much of a problem as long as they don't monopolise each other . On the other hand, guys seem to have no objection to ladies dancing together even when there are more guys to go around - can't imagine why.
    Last edited by Tessalicious; 28th-May-2006 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon
    I've noticed recently that this is becoming a more popular trend.I have been known on the odd occasion to indulge in this myself, but i often wonder how the ladies feel about it. Especially on a night where there are quite a lot of spare women who don't get many dances. I wonder how they feel if a guy never asks them to dance, but is willing to dance with another guy. Just curious

Personally I have no problem with it, you pay's your money and takes your chose, live and let live.

I have started to ask ladies who lead to dance, who I don't know and haven't danced with before, but I have observed them leading.

It won't be long before Ceroc start a category for this at the Champs??

Or reverse leaders/followers..........would like to see Taz and Craig compete that one!

Lou xx

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious
    I have to say, for a lot of guys learning to follow, I think it must be much easier when dancing with another man.
    After having a few goes back last year I've given up following... But when I did, I preferred to follow a woman. Perhaps for two reasons...

1) I prefer dancing with women.
    2) I figure they're leading is going to be more sympathetic to a beginner follower.

I have followed and lead some guys, but having now "been there, done that", I'll stick to dancing with women for now...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by fletch
    Personally I have no problem with it, you pay's your money and takes your chose, live and let live.
    I've got to agree that it doesn't bother me seeing 2 guys dancing together. It's not like they don't dance with the women during the evening too, often I'm lucky enough to be asked for a dance by at least one of the men, but even if I weren't I really enjoy watching them as they usually have lots of fun doing it and most of us have lots of fun just watching them.

In fact, it's a bit of a pain to be up dancing and hear the folk sitting down causing a commotion because they've just watched something funny or awesome and I haven't been able to enjoy what they did - I somehow feel I've missed out somehow. (Mind you, this has got to be said about any 2 excellent dancers being together and getting ooohs and aaaahs and a round of applause from the sitter-outers).

I've witnessed at a party night where four of the best (male) leads have danced in a 'quadruple-trouble'. There was a shortage of leads, but it was only one track... and it freed up lots of space on the dance floor for me

If I were a follower, I would perhaps be mildly annoyed, especially if there were a 'shortage', but it really dosn't bother me.

I have quite a light lead, so I should be fairly easy to hi-jack... however I am very good at ad-libbing and making 'mistakes' look planned (and not very good at relinquishing control) so I will normally 'steal' the lead back within a beat or two simply because that's what I do: lead.
    {Caro - again}

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious
    Another guy is more likely to be strong enough to control a male follow...
    I've not found that from my side of the fence. There are a few female leads out there who tend to be lighter leads than I prefer, but it feels like this is more about nervousness than about physical strength. The women who have very strong leads aren't necessarilly built stronger: they're just more willing to use the strength they have, with something of a take-no-prisoners attitude. It's more about mental strength and force of will than anything physical.

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    I prefer dancing with women.
    Creepy!
    (oops, wrong thread)

I should improve on my following skills a bit more because in Ballroom and Latin American dances (incl. Salsa) I used to enjoy it heaps. It gave me the opportunity to either just float (Ballroom) or play with all the fancy stuff that you don't get an opportunity as a lead. In MJ my following, unfortunately, is too poor to even consider playing

Still, did dance as a follower in Salsa in KL a couple of weeks back and had a ball. So, I think what it comes down to is just the fun factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbalou
    It won't be long before Ceroc start a category for this at the Champs??

Or reverse leaders/followers..........would like to see Taz and Craig compete that one!

Lou xx
    There have been a few reverse leaders/followers in competitions (Blackpool & Ceroc I think) already and for same sex entries Andy McGregor has been placed in a couple (one with Sheepman) and I believe there has been same sex 'double troubles' that have been placed.

We saw our very own Franck 'following' with KevF leading at Camber in March - it was great to watch very entertaining

BTW Robert Cordoba follows really well, I wonder if someone will ask him at Southport this weekend

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Have to admit, I've only seen it a couple of times, but I don't have a problem with two guys dancing together - in fact until I read this thread it didn't even occur to me that it decreased the number of male leads (is that thick or what!!) - I just enjoyed watching them as they seemed to have so much fun and were REALLY good!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon
    I've noticed recently that this is becoming a more popular trend.
    I had my first dance with The Tramp on Saturday and it was really interesting and very different to any other following I've done (and that includes with other guys). He was strong enough to put me into drops (and aerials ) with confidence and speed and it made for a very entertaining dance.

I think following (either sex) can make me a better lead by giving me an idea about how moves feel as a follower or what works and what doesn't. So I dance with other men to possibly learn from their style and also to have a laugh. I don't feel guilty about having one dance in a night with another guy and "wasting" two of us on that dance.

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime
    I don't feel guilty about having one dance in a night with another guy and "wasting" two of us on that dance.

even if that guy is BTC Bill

Planet Wacko (a now motorised world of my own):)

I have seen quite a few men dancing together, Mostly it has just been for the fun factor as mentioned before, and I must admit it can be quite hilarious, having done it myself a few times both in the lead and follower positions. (I must admit that for a man I make an exceptionally bad woman ) my follow is attrocious. I have also seen some men dance together and they look absolutely fantastic swopping the lead or sabataging each other, even their seducers and drops look good.

I really enjoy watching two guys performing together actually...

maybe im a little strange....

Commercial Operator

Some interesting viewpoints. I was just curious as to how the ladies felt.I have danced with other men before myself but I was dancing beside killingtime & the Tramp on Saturday, and noticed a fair amount of other men who had gathered to watch. Meanwhile there were a lot of spare ladies with no one to dance with, and I wondered if they maybe felt a bit put out by it. I'm not having a dig, just interested to see how others felt

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jacksondonut

I'm as strange as you cos I find it very entertaining and often like to spectate, rather than dance my self.

Maybe i'm just a bit sadistic cos I love it when they go wrong
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by jacksondonut

Watching two guys together can be really fun and interesting to watch! I don't mind if two guys dance together because up in Aberdeen it doesn't happen too often! If it happened alot and there were alot of extra women it might annoy me slightly but if I really wanted to dance then I could grab a friend and try out my own limited leading skills!

At a recent venue opening it became obvious that they had attracted a sizable gay clientele. A teacher was a bit relieved when a guy asked her to dance.
    Then he said that he wanted her to lead.
    Then he said that he wanted her to lead so that he could learn how to follow so that he could help to teach his husband to lead.
    All in a nights work ...

Thread Information