View Poll Results: Which would you prefer

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • To have a job where you have to work hard but you get paid well

16 76.19%
  • to have a job where you get paid enough to 'get by' but you don't have to do very much

4 19.05%
  • Not to work and earn nothing... living off the state is easiest

0 0%
  • Click click click

1 4.76%

Thread: Which would you prefer?

Glitter Queen

Which would you prefer?

As someone who is getting increasingly fed up at work I thought I'd see what your opinions were...?

Donna

Re: Which would you prefer?

To be honest, the past couple of months have been fairly quiet. So, don't do as much as I'd like to, but still on a good pay.

Working hard wins every time (and the money's nice).

To be honest I hate the days like this when I have the opportunity to read every thread on the forum (no disrespect anyone). I love to relax, but I like to feel I deserve it , and I like to feel I've worked hard for my salary.

None of the above - I'd rather have a job I love, no matter how much or little I have to work, as long as I earn enough to get by. I really don't mind working hard, silly hours, weekends etc, if it's something I really enjoy doing.

A well paid job I hate...... I might do it for a while just to save up some money, then find a job I love doing!

Glitter Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey
    A well paid job I hate...... I might do it for a while just to save up some money, then find a job I love doing!
    This is kind of my dilemma at the moment.
    Do I give up working in the field that interests me to go and earn a decent amount of cash... or do I continue, feeling like I'm not achieving as much as I would hope, to try and maintain my career in an area that interests me, even though I don't earn very much...?
    It's a tricky one!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles
    This is kind of my dilemma at the moment.
    Do I give up working in the field that interests me to go and earn a decent amount of cash... or do I continue, feeling like I'm not achieving as much as I would hope, to try and maintain my career in an area that interests me, even though I don't earn very much...?
    It's a tricky one!
    I see you're a research assistant Sarah. The RA's in my field are paid poorly, but then we are working for the NHS, but I'm afraid it's a means to an end.

As frustrating as it is, I'm sure it will be worth the wait if it's a stepping stone in a career that interests you. When I was in my assistant and trainee years I would get frustrated at friend's salaries, but it does come eventually. I see it like the apprentice-ship analogy. Just think, we've got to work until our late 60's now - best be doing something you care about (IMO)

As someone who is getting increasingly fed up at work I thought I'd see what your opinions were...?

I work very hard and get a reasonable salary however, I would be better off giving up work completely living off benefits.

I have worked since my daughter was 2 years old as I was going stir crazy at home.

If you are a single parent you can claim so much:- Full rent, council tax, perscriptions, school meals, glasses, wigs, dentistry, clothes allowances, travel (pretending you are looking for jobs), vets bills. Even free holidays in the UK. You are also entitled to a 2 to 3 bed home in the town of your choice of which you can receive a grant to furnish it Oh and you have a wide choice of courses you may want to do to help you get a better job in the future.

Remind me why I am working?

There are even better benefits for drug addicts, offenders, and people that come here seeking political asylum.

If you are a single person in this country you will need to go to the doctors and say you are depressed otherwise you will be forced into one of these weekly 'restart' interview where they WILL find you a job.

I know so much about this as a lot of my friends do it and often text me in the summer saying they are sitting in their gardens having a cold beer

Planet Wacko (a now motorised world of my own):)

But as I had a blazing row with my boss on Wednesday and then told him where to stick his job I am now looking for another well paid position so I suppose I should have ticked another box but the option was not there

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey
    None of the above - I'd rather have a job I love, no matter how much or little I have to work, as long as I earn enough to get by. I really don't mind working hard, silly hours, weekends etc, if it's something I really enjoy doing.

I definitely agree with that - if only I could find a job like that now. I have found it really hard to find jobs in general that I can make some money and get on with but they tens not to be my life's passion. Some friends of mine tell me that everyone has a place in the world somewhere where they know they fit, you just have to find it.
    Last edited by Dizzy; 26th-May-2006 at 08:38 PM.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Missy D
    saying they are sitting in their gardens having a cold beer
    Not bitter then?

I've done the jobs that pay plenty of money, and luckily they were intellectually stimulating too, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm not frustrated when projects are cut, after several years of work, and you have to obey the accountants edicts sent from above.

Nowadays I put a lot of effort & hours in, to earn very little, but that's because I enjoy it, and can get buy without earning stacks of cash. Maybe one day that will have to change again.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman
    Not bitter then?

I've done the jobs that pay plenty of money, and luckily they were intellectually stimulating too, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm not frustrated when projects are cut, after several years of work, and you have to obey the accountants edicts sent from above.

Greg
    I currently have a job where I dont mind the work, the money is quite good, not brilliant but better than Ive had before but my boss is an absolute *******.

Where does that fit in?

Measuring up patio to see if neighbour will fit under it

Quote Originally Posted by Missy D

If you are a single parent you can claim so much:- Full rent, council tax, perscriptions, school meals, glasses, wigs, dentistry, clothes allowances, travel (pretending you are looking for jobs), vets bills. Even free holidays in the UK. You are also entitled to a 2 to 3 bed home in the town of your choice of which you can receive a grant to furnish it Oh and you have a wide choice of courses you may want to do to help you get a better job in the future.

If you are a single person in this country you will need to go to the doctors and say you are depressed otherwise you will be forced into one of these weekly 'restart' interview where they WILL find you a job.

I know so much about this as a lot of my friends do it and often text me in the summer saying they are sitting in their gardens having a cold beer
    It was not my intention to be a single parent, but i have to say my sis is right. I get more money on benefits than i would if i worked. I would find the £15 per day per child for child care while i worked, very hard to pay unless i had a really good job. Until still 9 is in secondary school i would find it impossible to work, run a car and pay the bills.

I can't wait to go back out in the 'real world' and earn a wage, i have to be busy or i will go crazy. I have done all the IT courses, maths and Engish that they have given me and passed them all all i need now is for my kids not to need child care.

So for now i will have to be forsed to ride my horse and have a beer in my garden in the summer with the other single mums

I never ticked any box as was unsure I am a single parent and have always worked even when kids were little 5 year ago I managed to move from the low paid or voluntary jobs that fitted round the kids and study into a job I loved and was passionate about,
    I would work the hours get a decent pay enough to get by, spend time with the kids and try keep the house from not falling down, as time went on I still loved my job but hated peoples opinion to the work that they did many of them were in high paid jobs sitting behind desks making the big decisions about peoples future, speaking about staff and the young disadvantaged kids that we worked with like they were scum.........

In March this year I was made redundant due to lack of funding I was worried and upset because I loved the work.....it wasn't until I left I had time to think and realised although I was passionate about my work and gave it my all,I maybe couldn't make a massive impact but I tried and that others in life could be nasty, that I had allowed that to bog me down quite a bit.....

As for the time with the kids I am loving it well most of the time ( thats when to youngest aren't doing what brothers do best and fighting over remote or computer, and the 2 oldest aren't arguing who's been on comp the longest) apart from all that I am actually surprised my house didn't fall down over the years Needless to say full overhall on the house in process {Never mind the painting ceilings, what about the plastering walls and fitting light fittings etc aaaargh! }

I guess what I'm trying to say is that although money is good it's not the be all and end all happiness definately wins....follow your own gut instinct sweetie and you'll come out good! Life is all about what you make it!

Pauline.xxx

"The pays bad, but the work's hard" - Bernard from Black Books

Quote Originally Posted by Missy D View Post
    I work very hard and get a reasonable salary however, I would be better off giving up work completely living off benefits.

I have worked since my daughter was 2 years old as I was going stir crazy at home.

There are even better benefits for drug addicts, offenders, and people that come here seeking political asylum.

:
    Go join your friends in their garden with the cold beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post

Totally agree with you LM , and want to do exactly this. I might even go back to school to do it, I'll see if I can .

Cheers WT

Thread Information