Thread: Serial queries!

Serial queries!

Hey hey, I know I'm the tech person at work but I'm not very technical so any info here would be great...!

I wanna move QuarkXpress4 off a G4 onto a G5 so I can upgrade it to Quark6 and use it on the G5. My problem...I have a disk for Quark4 but it is from another computer on the network, the disk for the version on the G4 I was moving it off has vanished! so...

If I upload the version from the disk I have will it be ok for the upgrade or will it cause conflicts, before upgrading, with the other computer on the network using the same version?

I also wondered if the serial number is tied to the disk or if it just looks for a relevant on ie. could I put the Qurak4 off the disk I have onto the G5 and then enter the serial number that went with the missing disk for the Quark4 on the computer I was taking it off...Does that make sense?

Any ideas would be cool, very confuddled ickle chick'n.

Re: Serial queries!

Hmm...

Could you use Apple's migration tool to copy all the applications from the G4 to the G5?

Anyway, if you've got the serial number for your Quark, and a disk from elsewhere, that's all you need (assuming it's the exact same version.) The serial number is not tied to the disk.

Hope this helps!
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo

Doesn't Xpress 4 have a hardware lock as well or is it just the Passport version? Also AFAIR version 4 has a floppy as first install disk...

As long as the two don't run at the same time on the network you should be ok.

Cheers guys, my poor ickle brain was all in knots yesterday. Someon's just told me I may not need version 4 first now as some upgrades to 6 aparently didn't need it. Passport is different yeh, You have to ring up to get an activation code for quark now though, but I got all those codes when we put it on the other computer so I will see if they're still valid. We will probably be running it at the same time on 2 computers which is why I was worried about conflict!

Floppy... what's that...?! LOL To think we used to backup to those and they hardly hold a thing now!

Ta guys, will see what happens (listen out for a large explosion when my computer blows up cos I've upset it!)

Hi chicks, incase you wanted to know...

I managed to install the quark 6 disk and it just asked for the serial number of the quark 4 I was upgrading from so wasn't a problem at all after all that, but I learned stuff anyhoo!

Ta

Lara

Thread Information