Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How high to raise your hand?

Question How high to raise your hand?

I have a question for the panel. This is the first thread that I've started so please be gentle with me!

Recently I was asked to dance by someone who, a few seconds in asked if he could give me some advice. I'm always happy to accept constructive criticism, so he told me that when I turn/spin, I should make sure to hold my hand just above my forehead; if I raise my hand higher I'll be off-balance when I spin. I thanked him for his comments and we carried on.

Now I had watched him with other dancers, and he was a lovely, elegant leader, so I've no doubt that his comments were on the button. But I do find when I dance with some other leaders that my hand is raised quite high for a turn or spin whether I want it that high or not. Possibly this is exacerbated by the fact I'm quite short (I'm 5'2" - short but sweet! )

My question is, when that happens, should I then pull my hand down to just-above-forehead level for the spin? Or would that interfere with the lead's concentration? I really don't want to start getting into a wrestling match on the dance floor So what's the expert view?

Re: How high to raise your hand?

Hi, I don't know if I've danced with you yet, so these comments can only be based on general observation...

When dancing with some less experienced dancers I find they often keep their arm used for turns quite stiff. This can force the hand "too high", as I am not in a position to balance the upward pressure from the stiff arm... This can then lead to unbalanced turns...

At least I think that's the problem... Or maybe these ladies are deliberately trying to keep their hand high... Dunno...

I think my advice is just make sure your arm isn't too stiff, and then between you and your lead, your hands should just find a "natural" height to be...

(Maybe a follower has a different point of view from mine though...)

Hope this helps...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Yes your hand should be just above your head, it is the leader who should be controlling the height though. As a follower you should be allowing him to

Some women do like to push slightly into the mans hand, like slightly pushing off a low ceiling, but I think this is just to maintain connection and retain balance at times.

The lady I most respect thinks.......the ladies arm should never leave her sight with her arm cranked in an approx ninety degree angle. This position should be firm, but not stiff and it's the mans mission to trace that halo around the circumference of her head for the turn. So if you go off balance, blame the man

Hopefully the cranked arm will determine the correct hand to head height.
    Last edited by Kev F; 23rd-May-2006 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev F

it's the mans mission to trace that halo around the circumference of her head for the turn.
    This is interesting, i was always taught that the hand should pretty much stay still above the ladies head. This seems to describe what was called 'Stirring' which i was told was a big No, No.

I have always been taught (by Simon Borland and others) that the most stable way to turn is exactly as you say, with your hand just at the top of your forehead. He also tells the ladies that, although it is the man's job to put it there, it is also up to the lady to correct this if her hand is in the wrong place for her comfort.

In practice, because most men are stronger (particularly at 6' off the ground) than most women, the easiest way for a lady who is being put off balance by a turning hand that is too high is to tell the guy so. If necessary, make him feel better about it by "I'm sorry, I always seem to lose my balance when I can't have my hand only just above my head, would you mind making it a little bit easier for me?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella
    This is interesting, i was always taught that the hand should pretty much stay still above the ladies head. This seems to describe what was called 'Stirring' which i was told was a big No, No.
    I agree with you for an ordinary turn, however if a guy wants to lead me into multiple assisted spins, I find it helps me if he keeps his hand just above and slightly to the front of my forehead.

I wonder if men are taught not to stir in order that they keep a loose handhold?

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was taught the same as you, when I initially started Ceroc but was never very stable on my spins but since having the ballroom lessons, our teacher has emphasized how important it is for me to keep my hand slightly above my forehead with my elbow inline, pointing forward NOT out to the side and I defintely don't feel as wobbly!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Registered User johnthehappyguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by firefly
    I have a question for the panel. This is the first thread that I've started so please be gentle with me!

Recently I was asked to dance by someone who, a few seconds in asked if he could give me some advice. I'm always happy to accept constructive criticism, so he told me that when I turn/spin, I should make sure to hold my hand just above my forehead; if I raise my hand higher I'll be off-balance when I spin. I thanked him for his comments and we carried on.

Now I had watched him with other dancers, and he was a lovely, elegant leader, so I've no doubt that his comments were on the button. But I do find when I dance with some other leaders that my hand is raised quite high for a turn or spin whether I want it that high or not. Possibly this is exacerbated by the fact I'm quite short (I'm 5'2" - short but sweet! )

My question is, when that happens, should I then pull my hand down to just-above-forehead level for the spin? Or would that interfere with the lead's concentration? I really don't want to start getting into a wrestling match on the dance floor So what's the expert view?

Hiya,

Don't get too worked up about it.

You were dancing really well, every time we danced together at the BFG, and you appear to have excellent balance, rhythm and co-ordination

Happy dancing !

John

Depends on the size of the circumference of a ladies head, I guess, as to the magnitude of stirring. But I must agree with you, I was taught the same thing, but it was termed porridge stirring (Or maybe I was particularly bad )

A small picture to help us all! Sorry, couldn't resist as it brought back fond memories.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Slightly different angle - it can sometimes feel like you're about to smack the lady in the head if your hand is too close

Being "corrected" feels like backleading. It's one thing if you're uncomfortable / in pain. Otherwise you're basically telling the lead "No this way". And as I've said before, we often have enough to deal with.......

That said, I agree with the whole finding a natural balance thing.

I have noticed that both the halo polishing and stationary approaches work. I think porridge stirring was meant to represent more of a physical dragging the lady around . Polishing a halo is a very light gentle movement .

To each their own. Personally I'd recommend trying it out different ways and seeing what feels comfortable.

Be Well,
    Christopher

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kev F
    A small picture to help us all! Sorry, couldn't resist as it brought back fond memories.
    Who's that in the pic and how's it helping us

"If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory

Look at the angle of her arm and the height of her hand
    Actually MissyD's avatar has quite a good demo
    Be Well,
    Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by Lory

It's a tip, on how to secretly spray deoderant onto your smelly partner without her noticing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost
    Look at the angle of her arm and the height of her hand
    Actually MissyD's avatar has quite a good demo
    Be Well,
    Christopher
    Excellent example...but can't understand why she doesn't get dizzy!

The Oracle

A handful of ladies prefer a stationary hand, and they spin underneath it. Generally they have had some ballet/jazz training, and are good enough to do the same number of spins without the man.

Most ladies find it easier with the hand in front of the forehead. The man should be able to lead the turn by keeping his forearm stationary and just moving his hand at the wrist.

'Stirring' is when the man moves his whole arm, and sometimes his upper body, to 'lead' the turn. That might be big, but it isn't clever.

David

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    Useful info............
    David
    And so endeth this thread.

Blog Entries

And so endeth this thread.
    Don't ya just love this forum

Quote Originally Posted by firefly
    Pulling your hand down is unpleasant for the reasons you've identified and others, so you'll want to avoid that. Best solution is to say something - eg, "I'm not that tall". Alternative solution for the LMC's of this world is to do a jumping spin, which is more or less what the guy's leading you to do, albeit inadvertantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious
    ...the most stable way to turn is exactly as you say, with your hand just at the top of your forehead. He also tells the ladies that, although it is the man's job to put it there, it is also up to the lady to correct this if her hand is in the wrong place for her comfort.
    I remember being told this at last year's BFG by Simon.
    It seemed rather strange to me at the time, although I appreciate the advice. Fortunately, I must be dancing with rather splendid leads, because I don't feel I have to correct them (or maybe I'd just forgotten about this little technique?) - I shall keep a close eye on it tomorrow - especially if I'm dancing with newer dancers

Thread Information