View Poll Results: Does your local teacher dance with ALL punters?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yup. They are a true martyr to the cause.

14 28.00%
  • Mostly

7 14.00%
  • Sometimes

7 14.00%
  • Only with their favourites

15 30.00%
  • What? Dance with the mass unwashed?

4 8.00%
  • Click, click, click

3 6.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teachers dancing with punters?

Teachers dancing with punters?

Curious. Back in the days when I did my Ceroc teacher training (i.e. when Nelson was still in shorts), we were indoctrinated with the ethos that teachers dance with the paying public, like a Taxi Dancer Plus. As a Franchisee, I've been even more feverent in this belief. However, recent observations have suggested that this is not a universal rule.

At Greenwich/Bow I'm happy to report that Laural & Hardy (aka Dan and Russel) do dance with their followers ..... though many of the punters offer good money if they don't dance with them .... but at least they try. But are these saviours of dance ethics in a minority.

I've noted all too many teachers dancing with punters only in the hope of its leading to closer inspectioon of their underwear. Others only dance with their 'favoured few'. Is this a national trend or does the spirit of the teachers passing on their experise still live on?

Re: Teachers dancing with punters?

I go to 4 venues on a (fairly) regular basis - 2 for over a year, the other 2 for only a few weeks.

Venues 1 & 2 - teachers will dance with anyone, and I might be wrong on this but, the way I see it is, only if they're asked (which, let's face it, Mr or Mrs Joe Public mostly won't in case they can't cope, look silly, not confident enough, "they're so good they won't want to dance with me" etc). They don't actively hunt down people to dance with. Otherwise, if left to their own devices it seems that they have a chosen few that they will ask to dance. One does do more dancing than the other in my view.

Venue 3 - teacher dancing??? Can't say that I've noticed that! Er, maybe just the once ... ?

Venue 4 - just changed teacher last week - previous teacher I don't think even stayed after the Intermediate class - couldn't track him down any of the times I was going to ask him to dance! New teacher - hard to say as he's only done one week, but I did see him dancing with a Beginner (I'm assuming he did the asking as he was leading her onto the floor) and I did dance with him (at my request).

I think it is a MUST that teachers dance with their students - Graham LeCerk always did when I was learning, it not only gave me confidence it also ironed out any (or most) bad habits before they become set.

Unfortunately, IMO current day Taxi Dancers are mostly not experienced enough, they will correct and help on the current class but to know why/and what the newby is doing wrong requires much more experience.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    I've noted all too many teachers dancing with punters only in the hope of its leading to closer inspectioon of their underwear.
    Despicable. I recommend finding a venue where neither the teacher nor the punters wear any underwear.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    Despicable. I recommend finding a venue where neither the teacher nor the punters wear any underwear.
    Ahem.... DJs?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

In Scotland we are fairly well blessed with teachers who dance with beginners, intermediates, newcomers and even strangers!! And they don't come much stranger than the Gla crowd!!!

Ahem.. moving on.

Most of our teachers teach for the love of dance and what it can bring.. That probably influenced my approach to dancing with everyone, too. (although, if I'm DJing: they need to ask me. )

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ceroc Jock
    Ahem.... DJs?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?
    Sorry, my omission - and the DJ's neither. (Although there is a health and safety case there, what with all those spinning CDs)

Amir does

Generally though, in my experience the teachers only dance with the punters if
    a) the punter asks them first and
    b) the punter is lucky enough to manage to ask said teacher during one of the limited windows of opportunity when they're not doing something else or dancing with the advanced people.

Since this generally involves watching the teacher like a hawk for the entire night and pouncing on them the second they walk back through the door/off the dance floor, I generally give up.

But I think it would be great if they did make an effort to dance with the punters.... It makes them seem less scary, irons out any bad habits, and also helps them to get a feel for where the class is at

Quote Originally Posted by Alice
    Amir does........
    but only when asked

I thought this thread was about the teachers getting down on the floor and and actually asking students to dance, also giving constructive critisism as necessary - anyone can ask a teacher to dance and NO decent teacher should then refuse

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    but only when asked

I thought this thread was about the teachers getting down on the floor and and actually asking students to dance, also giving constructive critisism as necessary - anyone can ask a teacher to dance and NO decent teacher should then refuse
    Yeah and that was my point- they don't.

Amir does seem to ask a few though... though tis a much smaller room and easier to spot people

Red face Re: Teachers dancing with punters?

I've noted all too many teachers dancing with punters only in the hope of its leading to closer inspectioon of their underwear.
    So, just to clarify this - you're saying that if a teacher asks me for a dance, then she totally fancies me? Can I get that in writing?

In Aberdeen our two female teachers are always dancing with the "punters" - I'm pretty sure its the same all over Scotland from what I have seen at the venues I've attended

Simon Borland makes the effort to work the room at the ISH and Lee Rays puts on a good effort too. I ca't imagine Drathzel not dancing with her punters. Sometimes it's the customer who's nervous of dancing with the teacher though - I know I was.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    So, just to clarify this - you're saying that if a teacher asks me for a dance, then she totally fancies me? Can I get that in writing?
    Mmmmmmm ... most of the teachers up here are male ... so it may be the case that they do fancy you ... though you may be dispointed.

My outstanding memory of teachers dancing with women was a lass at Nottingham who took me under her wing and tried to train me to dance. She told me that on her first night at Nottingham she hated it, and vowed never to come again, until the teacher (a certain Messr Phil Roberts) grabed her for a dance and showed her what it could be like. Her rapid progress is all due to his intervention.

As Piglet said We m ust be a friendly bunch coz our teachers are always dancing with the Locals! Lisa especially is always running round trying to grab people for a dance! Especially the newer ones!

Quote Originally Posted by Freya
    just lurve the avatar wish someone was clever enough to make a Minnie-Marilyn

--ooOoo--

Nelson dances with punters down this way, and asks them as well as encouraging people to ask him. I found it very scarey when he first asked me but it was also encouraging so to such people who do make the effort (I still find him scarey now thogh, I have to think too much!)

Newquay Jive Chris and Murphy work the floor as do Pam and Jill who do the teaching and they are constantly encouraging beginners and trying to make the experience fun to get people back. It's a lovely atmosphere there.

It must be hard for teachers to get around and ask beginners, not necessarily that they can't be bothered, as some of the more advanced dancers who are a bit more confident will grab them as they are looking for a more advanced level dance so how can you honestly teel which teachers just dance with higher level dancers and which are just accepting a dance having been asked...? (That made sense in my head!)

Other venues I've been to it's nice to see the teacher dancing but I am always nervous about asking them so I know I miss out but there'ss only so many people they can get around in an evening.

The Oracle

I have no doubt that when a teacher "works the floor" after a class, it can make a big difference to the atmosphere in the club, and ultimately it's profitability.

However teachers are there to do a job, which is to teach the classes. To expect a teacher to work for an extra 2 hours afterwards for nothing is wrong. How many of you would feel happy about working more than twice as long for the same pay?

They should be offered some sort of profit-sharing based on the success of that night. (One exception would be newly qualified teachers, where the franchise owner has paid for their training. "Working the floor" should be included in whatever contract is entered into)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    However teachers are there to do a job, which is to teach the classes. To expect a teacher to work for an extra 2 hours afterwards for nothing is wrong. How many of you would feel happy about working more than twice as long for the same pay?
    Sorry David, but for the CTA dancing with punters is explicilty part of the job ... well it was when I qualified. Its part of the Blitz expectation, but the amount of NWest teachers dancing with dancers is absolutely minimal

The Oracle

Sorry David, but for the CTA dancing with punters is explicilty part of the job ... . Its part of the Blitz expectation,
    spoken like a project manager

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    ....However teachers are there to do a job, which is to teach the classes. To expect a teacher to work for an extra 2 hours afterwards for nothing is wrong. How many of you would feel happy about working more than twice as long for the same pay?..........
    Good point
    When the teacher IS the franchise holder/organiser of the venue it is in their interest to dance with their students, however, if (and it is often the case in non-Ceroc venues) it is a guest teacher, the situation is very different

--ooOoo--

Thread Information