Thread: Emailing Webpage Flyer

up the motorway, turn left, turn left, through the bends.......

Emailing Webpage Flyer

One for you wonderful techy guys how do i create a flyer i can email as a webpage (or the other way round)? Does that make sense?? I lost myself on the thread title!!!!!

I would like to email a page that doesn't have to be opened i.e. it's there as soon as you read your mail.

Do i need special software?? If so can anyone advise me on what to get please?

Re: Emailing Webpage Flyer

I think it is not possible. If it was virus writers could infect your machine without givin you a chance to delete the carrier message.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    I think it is not possible. If it was virus writers could infect your machine without givin you a chance to delete the carrier message.
    It isnt possible - people do actually have to open their email to see something you send them and their is no guarantee that their email program will display html automatically or in the way you intended it to be displayed. e.g. Thunderbird never displays images at all unless you click a SHOW IMAGES button for each email.

Your best bet is to have some simple html for the people whose email package supports it fully and a really obvious link/piece of text at the top for other people to follow to a proper website. Be polite and they may well go to that site

Another option is to design the flyer as a PDF and send that -- plus a brief text description. That way the flyer will be shown as *you* intend, and doesn't require the mail reader to support HTML or to load images. Of course, the downside is that it assumes your readers have a PDF reader, but then you can always guide them gently towards Adobe.

SpinDr

Thanks guys.

People have been asking about my website & i thought it would be nice to send them something more than just a sentence with the website name.

x

It's perfectly possible to email a web page, including images and such. You just need software that can do it, and you're relying on your recipient to have an email application that can display it.

The web browser I use has a "Mail Contents of This Page" feature, though it doesn't include the images from the page directly in the email message, I know that it is possible.

Strangely enough the email program I use can view the email sent too – though I have to ask it to load the images as they are on an external web site, and I've turned automatic image loading off.

For email clients that can't cope with the HTML, it also includes an automatic text version, though it doesn't always turn complex pages into readable text...

Doesn't Internet Explorer and Outlook Express have similar features?
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

What kind of software?

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Interesting question. A quick Google for "html email" showed this article up as the top hit:

http://www.sitepoint.com/article/cod...il-newsletters

Although probably more technical than LL wants, what I understand from it is that writing an html email that reliably comes out the way you want it to appear is both difficult and hit-and-miss, depending on the email program that the reader is using.

Ceroc London sends out html-formatted emails; they never seem to work for me and I always end up having to go through some convolutions to read the content whereas a web-link would always have been simpler. Microsoft also came in for a lot of stick because I think at one stage Outlook Express didn't have an option *not* to display html emails - which can be used for "user tracking" and also as a route to exploit security holes in Windows, upload Trojans and viruses etc.

If the website is quite fancy then it seems unlikely that you would be able to get a good rendition of it - in all email programs and for most users - and so probably a web-link is best? I know I prefer them.

Many e-mail programs/providers (including hotmail) can be set to "block" what they consider to be "unsafe" content. I can rarely be bothered to click on the unblock option because I'm really lazy. So I'd go with the text option including a link to the website

Here's some useful advice I dug up with google...

http://blogs.onenw.org/kb/2003/06/13...mail-messages/

If you just want to send an existing page, unaltered, then I think that's possible from Internet Explorer. The important thing is (as mentioned in the article) to make sure that your email program "is configured to embed the images in your message."

I don't advise sending "bulk" email except to folks who have explicitly opted-in to receive it, and then I'd suggest that simple text in this case is the best option...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    Many e-mail programs/providers (including hotmail) can be set to "block" what they consider to be "unsafe" content. I can rarely be bothered to click on the unblock option because I'm really lazy. So I'd go with the text option including a link to the website

wanted something colourful to send especially with the website name, seksidancewear, people might thinks it's something dodgy

Thread Information