Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Useful and useless beginner's moves

Re: Useful and useless beginner's moves

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    The Comb I would revert to blocking on the hip rather than the arm. {There's a thread somewhere on why}
    I'd just bin the comb. I'm sure it puts off lots of newcommers, especially since it's taught with a long dialogue as you're standing closer to your partner than most beginners regard as really very close indeed... Similar to the dips idea -something which is useful to teach to the followers who do come back after a few weeks, once they've got the hang of some of the other things they need to learn.
    The Basket is much better now that they are teaching it stepped back with the right, although I think that it would add dynamics if they removed the twist in before turning out again. (But that is likley to cause problems in positioning of beginners)
    I was wondering if the teach had changed, or if I was just noticing it more. I tend to lead it as a step back (outside feet, but my feet seem to vary depending on how much direction I end up putting into the lead), step forward with no twisting - but the teaching now seems to end up with the follower pointing about NNE before the unwind now. This in my view is just messy, and encourages the followers to over rotate all the time...

Sean
    Last edited by tsh; 22nd-May-2006 at 12:00 PM.

The Oracle

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    {first move}
    I've always been taught lead steps back left on count 3 and I think it looks nicer and 'feels better' in terms of balance
    Quote Originally Posted by tsh
    {basket}
    I tend to lead it as a step back (outside feet, but my feet seem to vary depending on how much direction I end up putting into the lead), step forward with no twisting - but the teaching now seems to end up with the follower pointing about NNE before the unwind now. This in my view is just messy, and encourages the followers to over rotate all the time...
    I would teach a beginner to use the outside foot to reduce the risk of stepping on / being stepped on by your partners foot.

However for an intermediate dancer, I would recommend the inside foot, as it looks better as a couple, and maintains the connection better. It also feels far better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    I would teach a beginner to use the outside foot to reduce the risk of stepping on / being stepped on by your partners foot.

However for an intermediate dancer, I would recommend the inside foot, as it looks better as a couple, and maintains the connection better. It also feels far better for me.
    Ahhhh. First move footwork. A return to form for the Forum. Although DavidB advising on footwork .... .. so I'm told :ducks:

Clive

The Oracle

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Long
    Although DavidB advising on footwork
    Do as I say, not as I do.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    Do as I say, not as I do.
    Good enough for me, I've got used to stepping back right on 3 as a follower so I shall continue to do so as a leader and hope no-one notices

Good enough for me, I've got used to stepping back right on 3 as a follower so I shall continue to do so as a leader and hope no-one notices
    Pretty sure that followers should always step back on their right leg.

For leaders, there's no "one true way" -- stepping back on the right as a leader means that you can emphasize the turn out on beat three. However, stepping back on the left means that you are mirroring your partner -- and this can make it easier to get into a closed dance hold on beat four.

So yet again the leaders have the most difficult job

SpinDr

Quote Originally Posted by spindr
    Pretty sure that followers should always step back on their right leg.
    It's pretty difficult not to (although some beginners manage to step back left on the turn out, which is... interesting...)

ANYWAY... back to useful beginners' moves.

I still fondly remember Franck's workshop on mirroring all the moves (i.e. lead uses other hand and 'reverses' actions accordingly) - this was really useful for balance. So let's double the number of beginner moves by teaching them in both "directions"

NYWAY... back to useful beginners' moves.

I still fondly remember Franck's workshop on mirroring all the moves (i.e. lead uses other hand and 'reverses' actions accordingly) - this was really useful for balance. So let's double the number of beginner moves by teaching them in both "directions"
    I will certainly be giving this concept a try soon. Thanks

Thread Information