Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forumites - Impact at first sight?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Forumites - Impact at first sight?

Not sure where to put this, so please move if neccessary

I was thinking the other day, which forumites have imprinted a strong memory in my head, having met them for the first time (knowingly). Here's my initial "off the top of my head" list:

Minnie M - Minnie was introduced to me, when I was a beginner of just a few weeks. I will never forget being encouraged/dragged onto the dance floor, with such an awesome dancer. Minnie took it all in her stride, and made me feel so at ease. That was some 7 or 8 years ago!

Elaine B - My one and only venture (so far) to the Sunday Jango session, was for a warm up for that evening's Mini-Masters comp. I can remember my dance with Elaine so clearly - she was so utterly charming, and so supportive!

Rachel - Camber last November. I remember the "We love Rachel" thread...the thread starter was sooooo right! One of the most pleasant, yet superb dancers ever to grace our floors IMO!

Lory - First met Lory about 18 months ago (I think). Again at Camber. I just remember having one of the most memorable fun dances I've ever had, that night with L. To this day, Lory is top of my list of 'Must dance with'.

Rhythm King - Different perspective this time. Richard was such an interesting person to talk to at the BFG in 2004. He remains someone I will always have time for, to this day.

Wittybird - The night your stockings fell down....need I say more?

There are probably others, but the above are permanently etched in my mind, and I think will be forever

So! Which forumites left a huge impression in your memory vaults, and why?

Re: Forumites - Impact at first sight?

Quote Originally Posted by Gojive
    Wittybird - The night your stockings fell down....need I say more?
    Oh yes a memorable trip to Camber last November. How nice of you to keep reminding me

There was me remembering you for your silly half hour

First impressions

Amir – finally someone who thinks a gentle lead is a good thing!

Clive Long – watched him dance with Taz and get her to do the “standing still going at 100mph thing”

Cruella – followed a move perfectly, that I’d learnt off the Jango dvd and was quietly praying would actually work, for a big finish to the Last Dance. She reminded me of Cruela’s good twin sister

Dan Hudson – sharp sense of humour

Dave Rokov – Someone quietly confident who knows he’s good and so doesn’t feel the need to make sure you know.

Dirty D – Quietly thanked me for a post on the Forum. Gentle guy

Dizzy – a really styled playful dance

Drathzel – I remember thinking “Remember - she’s just a dancer, she’s just a dancer – oh WOW!”

Georgious Dancer – beautiful ballet styling

Icey – who I mistook at first for LMC - totally mischevous spirit - lovely balance of play and serious dancing

KatieR - JANGO!!!!!!!!

Raphael – the zen master

Rosie Posie – so much poise

Russel Saxby – nice guy, always multi-tasking

Rythym King – Ghost pain in my knee. Really decent guy, had a constant stream of beautiful women

Senorita – really graceful style

Sparkles – like meeting an old friend

Tazmanian Devil – Strode across the room and said “Come on then”. Reap the whirlwind!

The Wacko – Northern gruffness hiding a surprising amount of gentleness

Under Par – just screams “policeman” with his body language.

WayaayBird – a smile that literally lit up the room

WittyBird – the dress, what else?

Val Forsey – just one of life’s wonderful bubbly gentle people – total cat spirit

Zebra Woman – playfulness of spirit

(Ok it’s late and I’ve probably forgotten people. PM me and I’ll say something nice about you – never met a Forumite I didn’t like)

Be Well,
    Christopher

Are Dave & Val on the forum

Have to say I have met some of the nicest people in dancing via the forum, and possibly would not have met them if I wasn't on the forum, starting with our current King and Queen

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    Are Dave & Val on the forum
    Val cunning hides under the alias of
    Val Forsey (See the members list) - I believe Dave is her partner and so I presume he's a Forumite by default.

Be Well,
    Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost
    Val cunning hides under the alias of
    Val Forsey (See the members list)
    sorry - should have checked !
    What a great lady too

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

First impressions

Amir – finally someone who thinks a gentle lead is a good thing!

Clive Long – watched him dance with Taz and get her to do the “standing still going at 100mph thing”

Cruella – followed a move perfectly, that I’d learnt off the Jango dvd and was quietly praying would actually work, for a big finish to the Last Dance. She reminded me of Cruela’s good twin sister

Dan Hudson – sharp sense of humour

Dave Rokov – Someone quietly confident who knows he’s good and so doesn’t feel the need to make sure you know.

Dirty D – Quietly thanked me for a post on the Forum. Gentle guy

Dizzy – a really styled playful dance

Drathzel – I remember thinking “Remember - she’s just a dancer, she’s just a dancer – oh WOW!”

Georgious Dancer – beautiful ballet styling

Icey – who I mistook at first for LMC - totally mischevous spirit - lovely balance of play and serious dancing

KatieR - JANGO!!!!!!!!

Raphael – the zen master

Rosie Posie – so much poise

Russel Saxby – nice guy, always multi-tasking

Rythym King – Ghost pain in my knee. Really decent guy, had a constant stream of beautiful women

Senorita – really graceful style

Sparkles – like meeting an old friend

Tazmanian Devil – Strode across the room and said “Come on then”. Reap the whirlwind!

The Wacko – Northern gruffness hiding a surprising amount of gentleness

Under Par – just screams “policeman” with his body language.

WayaayBird – a smile that literally lit up the room

WittyBird – the dress, what else?

Val Forsey – just one of life’s wonderful bubbly gentle people – total cat spirit

Zebra Woman – playfulness of spirit

(Ok it’s late and I’ve probably forgotten people. PM me and I’ll say something nice about you – never met a Forumite I didn’t like)

Be Well,
    Christopher
    So good to know our meeting and couple of dances were so memorable!

Christopher who

Quote Originally Posted by Missy D
    So good to know our meeting and couple of dances were so memorable!

Christopher who
    Set yourself up for that one Ghost

As soon as you start listing names, the people you miss out aren't gonna be happy

I foresee a short life for this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by robd
    Set yourself up for that one Ghost

As soon as you start listing names, the people you miss out aren't gonna be happy

I foresee a short life for this thread.
    MissyD wasn't the only one I missed out
    But it's like naming the seven dwarfs, you get to 6 then you keep repeating the same three over and over.

I'll post a few more in a bit (though I'll still probably miss people)

Be Well,
    Christopher

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

I've met and befriended so many forumites, but i'm just going to list the ones that made an impact the first time i met them.

Rythmn King- at Bognor, he was really gentle and kind.
    Brady- we danced, i thought Wow, what amazing connection.
    Simon R - danced with him at Blackpool champs 2004 before i joined the forum, but remembered him for his unique style.
    Fletch - How could i NOT remember her!
    Dirty D - I remember our first dance at Greenwich, i was thinking My God he's so rude! ( In a nice way)
    Russell Saxby - He was really cheeky, felt like i'd known him ages.
    Donna - Recently at the champs when i gave her the Dictionary, she took the joke graciously and was nice to chat to.
    Little Em - We were introduced when i became her venue manager, so cheeky and bubbly. (and now a good mate)
    Kev F - Didn't smile or look at me the whole dance
    Under Par - The gentle giant.
    Mr Fitz - Brian who? Got upset that i didn't realise i'd already danced with him earlier
    ESG - ZW and i met him together last year, he was very secretive and wouldn't reveal his identity on the forum.

I could go on and on but these are the ones whose first meetings jumped to the front of my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella
    I've met and befriended so many forumites, but i'm just going to list the ones that made an impact the first time i met them.

<<snip>>Names<</snip??

I could go on and on but these are the ones whose first meetings jumped to the front of my mind.
    Thanks Cruella - that's exactly what I had in mind when I started the thread

Feelingpink -

Commercial Operator

(never met a Forumite I didn’t like)
    Is difficult, and I will miss out someone, because it's late and I'm tired. Most of my mentions go to southerners as I knew most of the Scots before they joined the forum...

Lory: The biggest smile and the warmest welcome. I will always remember our first meeting.

MissyD: dodo gizzard will never be the same again.

Sparkles: an education

ZW: a revelation.

RK: legend.

Miss Conduct: an amazing dance @ Twyford opened my mind up to possibilities.

MinnieM/ Divissima/ UP: a truly heart touching warmth.

TwK: TOTALLY unnecessary shirt.

Spice'n'Easy: first proper meeting was BB, Aberdeen last Nov. Immensely cool guy.

Dee.

David and Lily B: again, a warmth and generosity of spirit I'd never encountered before.

Clevedonboy/Saxylady/Lou: another very warm welcome.

KatieR: Thank you!!! No, really: thank you!!

SF:

Bottom line: yes, there are exceptions but I have had the most beautiful, soul-touching experiences meeting people from the Forum face to face. Some for the first time, some I've been lucky enough to get to know better.. I've re-read this post and it's a bit gushy . The truth is: I've been lucky enough to meet some really cool people. At this hour, these are the ones that stand out on just first meeting; there are others I would now call damned good friends

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ZebraWoman - I thought, woooo that woman (with the legs) looks like she having far too much 'fun' on the dance floor. As soon as we started chatting, i knew she was totally on my wave length and we've since become really good friends.

Kev F - I thought, if only he'd look at me, this would be my perfect dance He's come a very long way since!

Marc (is he on here) I remember him when I first started, he had long hair and was wearing all white and danced in a fantastically unique and flamboyant way and I thought, i'm never going to be good enough for the likes of him

Rachel - simply lovely

CJ - A complete nut case, who made me cry with laughter and a warm sincere, gentle side that shone through

Franck - my kind of guy, fun and relaxed, I liked him instantly

Sheena - Bubbly bubbly bubbly (in all senses ) and Never ceases to amaze me, where she gets her energy from

Mr Fitz - Charming and debonair, he hadn't been dancing long but it was obvious, he was going to be something special!

Dave Hancock - I'd been watching him and thought, there's no way i'll be able to do all that crazy stuff. I really wanted to dance with him but at the same time, I was very nervous asking him.

Azande - So smoooooooth

Alex - I though, I've met my match here alright!

SilverFox - very cheeky! I thought, where's he been hiding and why haven't I seen him before

Trampy - I had to sit down and catch my breath for 10 minutes after our first dance!

Witty bird - I thought, she's great fun and game for a laugh and I wonder how long it'll be before her boobs fall out of that dress?

MissConduct - i thought, how lovely and elegant she is on the dance floor , then she surprised me with a disgustingly dirty laugh

Russel Saxsby - passion knows no bounds when he dances and a genuinely nice guy

Underpar - wow, he's so tall. We met long before we became forumites, he hadn't been dancing that long but he was the ONLY one in the workshop I trusted, to 'drop' me

Raphael - the impact of Raph didn't hit, until the day I arrived at Camber, alone, with an enormous suitcase, a huge flight of stairs to negotiate and no electricity. The mans a HERO.

LilyB - I first saw Lily at Camber, doing a cabaret, I was in total awe, the next day, she was doing some stretches before teaching and I cheekily asked if I could join in, (hoping a little bit of lily-ness would rub off on me) she was extremely pleasent and welcoming!

DavidB - I met on a BBC canteen bus and he was dressed as Elvis and not the most flattering of costumes either, he 'did' make me laugh, a lot! (I preferred him in his motorbike leathers, he changed into later )

Lisa - so natural, in every sense, with a beautiful effortless dance style

Paul F - Pre forum days... charming, with bright silver shoes.. always a pleasure to dance with

MinnieM - Her reputation went before her, I felt like i was meeting someone famous (which of course, she is)

Cruella - The first thing I noticed was 'the hat', she came across as very confident, bubbly and LOUD!

Roger Chin - (my first Camber)First impression.. Wow, I didn't know I could follow so many different moves!

GoJive - It was in the Blues room at Camber and he made me feel like Ginger Rogers.

Obviously I know and like lot's more of you but these are the one's, who left 'lasting first impressions'!
    Last edited by Lory; 18th-May-2006 at 11:20 AM.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

[QUOTE=Lory]
    :

MissConduct - i thought, how lovely and elegant she is on the dance floor , then she surprised me with a disgustingly dirty laugh

[QUOTE=Ceroc Jock]

Miss Conduct: an amazing dance @ Twyford opened my mind up to possibilities.

Yes, my memory of that dance concurs with yours. So memorable that my good friend ZW included the track we danced to on a CD she compiled for my birthday...

Pity we haven't had the opportunity to repeat the experiece yet - but I can wait. Any chance we'll see you at Southport...?

Quote Originally Posted by Ceroc Jock

MissyD: dodo gizzard will never be the same again.

:
    Ah such fond memories

I shall be laughing about this all day at work!! You certainly know a good restuarant when you see one

Oh and not forgetting that awful dish that was like cat poo (or maybe it really was)

Quote Originally Posted by Gojive
    Not sure where to put this, so please move if neccessary ...
    Number one quote from a leader?

Registered User Tazmanian Devil's Avatar

Oooh Tough Thread to write I think I may be here all night

Dan Hudson I could have sworn I knew him from somewhere!! First time I see him he was demoing at Welling with the gorgeous Kristen I had only been dancing 7-8 weeks and they taught a fab class. Dan was very approchable and asked me to dance

Thewacko Nuts absolutely NUTS. Had me in fits of laughter at Bromley, thought he was a bit weird at first but soon learned he's just NUTS (he's now my landlord)

A Certain Lady Smoking outside Charlton venue absolutely lovely lovely lady heart of gold.

Russell Saxby on stage. NICE style

Emma Charlton again, really nice and approchable (got me on the forum)

Claire always smiling

Bagpuss One of the nicest helpful Taxi's at Charlton

Barnpot Watched him dance in

KGD WOW was scared to ask him for a dance for 3 years (too good for me)

Mikeyr First dance was HOT

wongd Amazing another I couldn't bring myself to ask to dance

angelique Camber Hip hop class what a laugh

Chefat first thought he was cliquey (sorry hun this was at bromley 3-4years ago)

Chicky Lovely mover

ChrisA, BillCo, Sheepman, Mary, and Bex Uxbridge Christmas Party 2003 You all made me feel so welcome and Mary even helped me get a B&B on the doorstep of the venue

LilyB and DavidB Championships WOW WOW and WOW again

Lounge Lizard Camber 2003 (I think) Brought him a beer while he was teaching (he needed it)

LoryCamber. I watched in Sooo Smooth

IainLCamber Mikeys class Very cheeky

Robert Winter Thought Dan had dyed his hair

Dirty D Very enthusiastic beginner

WittyBird Camber Smoking outside

Asif All I can say to first impressions on him is

Missy DCamber dancing with Ray Wow that girl can move

Zebra Woman Lovely mover, took a while for me to ask her to dance

Dee Very quiet (how wrong was I)

Cruella Very nice and easy to talk to

Fletch Lovely Lady Had been waiting ages to meet her anyway

Andreas

Barry Shnikov 3 dances on the trott but

SilverFox Missy D done the honours (still unsure who dances sexier though him or DirtyD)

Tessalicious Sabbotage dance at Greenwich Fantastic

wicked blueHarrow opening night Double booked

under parGreenwich Christmas party night

Spice 'n' EasyAshtons, Smooth dancer, quite cheeky

ESG Greenwich party night made me laugh

David James Eye River Dance lovely dance.

RaphaelCamber, Friendly, Cheeky, funny My kinda mate hit it off straight away

Paul F

thewurlitzerrocksWarmwell lovely lovely dancer

Georgious dancer Hated her, No really I did!! Now look at us

wayaay birdVery quiet, that soon changed

Dave Hancock and at the same time on the dance floor.

There are so many more but my brain hurts from all this reminiscing

I have sooooo many fond memories of meeting so many forumites
    Last edited by Tazmanian Devil; 19th-May-2006 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazmanian Devil
    ......There are so many more but my brain hurts from all this reminiscing.........
    well I certainly made a good impression

Most of the forumites I knew before the forum so they don't really count, however here are a couple who I would NEVER have met had it not been for the forum (might have to make this part one as there are quite a few)

starting from the top :-

Franck - da boss - what a dynamic wonderful lovely friendly and generous guy, hope I have made a friend forever

Sheena da Queen of the pack - a bundly of love, hugs, and a really genuine person - you can't help but to love her, hopefully another friend forever

Mr. Fitz He introduced himself to me, and I wondered who he was at first - but was so impressed with the wonderful dance from the cool goodlooking guy, I ran over to a fellow forumite to find out who he was

CJ From the forum I expected the arrogant s@d - but when we eventially met, I was very very pleased to meet this really cool person so much fun to dance with and gives amazing hugs

Dance Demon Wow !! what can I say, he played music from my heaven and danced exactly on my wave length - what a man - my soulmate - if only he wasn't married (and to a great gal too) and I was about 15 years younger (at least)

KillingtimeThat was a surprise too, was very confused by some of his post (like wear my clothes etc ) but was pleasantly surprised to meet this young goodlooking, really nice and very friendly chap who is always smiling

DucasiThe picture in my head was about right, although he is older than he looks - a little shy, but a much much better dancer than I expected and a lovely chap

GadgetAnother surprise - what a great guy, so different (but in a nice way) and sooooooooo much fun to dance with

ClaireSHad a photo of what she looked like before we met - but was really surprised how differently she looked in real life, she is a really really pretty girl with a beautiful nature and a lovely personality.

----------- got to go out, part 2 coming shortly -----------------

--ooOoo--

Part two ....... or should it be

I am wondering if I should continue this..... I think I possibly have the possibly miss the point as reading my post, it is more like first impressions rather than impact at first sight and anyway it is getting very luvvy

Before I sign off..... to the author of this thread, who I met long before I even joined the forum....

We were introduced by my old workmate, who was at the time Gojive's new workmate, thought nice friendly chap, especially for teckie
    needs a lot of lessons and dance practice ........... however, over the years have got to know him better and can confirm his is a lovely dancer and a damn nice chap

--ooOoo--

Thread Information