• Simple moves, but well led

33 48.53%
  • Musical Interpretation

60 88.24%
  • Chance to improvise

23 33.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Ladies - What are you looking for in a dance?

B.T.C.

Re: Ladies - What are you looking for in a dance?

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    NO NO NO!

That's something that ONLY works for me when I'm taken by surprise!

Is that an open invitation then ????? I can pull quite gently really

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat
    Some leaders make it very hard for the lady to spin in balance or to prepare for the next step, NO MATTER HOW HARD SHE TRIES, at it's worst when the beginnings and endings of moves are skipped.
    Interesting. So, if I were to lead from an arm jive swizzle straight into a basket, omitting the intervening rock step, would that be a good or bad thing, or what should I do to avoid making it unpleasant for my partner?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    Interesting. So, if I were to lead from an arm jive swizzle straight into a basket, omitting the intervening rock step, would that be a good or bad thing, or what should I do to avoid making it unpleasant for my partner?
    As long as you were dancing in time to the music (ie not rushing the move), I doubt that I would notice the lack of rock step. After all, many moves are linked versions of other simpler moves with bits missed out. Personally, I don't consciously do rock steps, I do whatever I fancy or fits the music.

A good follower should have no problems following a clear lead. I wonder if I'm a good follower?

Daisy

(An Adlibbing Little Flower)
    Last edited by Daisy Chain; 20th-January-2005 at 01:55 PM.

Blog Entries

If you can allow the lady to exit the swizzle (which is quite a fast turn for a follower), whilst catching her left hand for a double hand hold, in good time to lead her into a basket, then yes - by all means leave out any rockstep...

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M

Also note Franck's comments, he is not only a great lead but he is so much fun to dance with
    I've said this to Franck several times but he has a different word for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou
    If you can allow the lady to exit the swizzle (which is quite a fast turn for a follower), whilst catching her left hand for a double hand hold, in good time to lead her into a basket, then yes - by all means leave out any rockstep...
    I think there may be some name confusion here. By "arm jive swizzle", I'm thinking of the move described here: http://www.danceyourselfdizzy.com/armjive_swizzle.htm

Blog Entries

I think there may be some name confusion here. By "arm jive swizzle", I'm thinking of the move described here: http://www.danceyourselfdizzy.com/armjive_swizzle.htm
    Yesssss......?

So - when you come out of the fast swizzlestick exit, after your armjive, you need to somehow take up the lady's left hand. I assumed you normally used a rockstep to rock in & rock away to give yourself time before wrapping her in for a basket? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

As long as you are not breaking the flow of the movement (ie the lady is rotating clockwise out of one move and rotating anti-clockwise into another) then it should work well.

If you want your dance to flow and moves to join seamlessly, then the direction of rotation has to be maintained between moves or a 'joining' move like a barrier, block, rocking step, wrap, free-spin... has to be added.

I often lead the exit from a "swivel" into a basket; the main thing you have to make sure of is that the lady's back arm remains low and you let it dip to straighten before wrapping it in again. It's actually easier to lead a basket finish rather than a rocking-step - if you relax and position yourself right, the lady just flows into your side with almost no lead, your side and body finishing the deceleration instead of hands. To lead the rocking step, you have to use your hand connection to slow the exit and transform the lead into compression so that the lady knows to step back.
    If you try to lead it too much, you get into the position of 'rushing' the lady and getting out of time. Make sure that you allow your right hand to dip while rolling it at the lady's hip (so that she can straighten her arm easily). Your left hand travels quite far and has to be sure of it's path (especially the lead up to the start of the turn) to avoid punching the lady in the face {best to be avoided I find}. As with any basket, it's easier if you keep the hands close to the lady's hips on the completion of the 'wrap-in' section.

It may help if you think on the lady still 'stepping back' on the same beat, she is just faceing a different direction when she does it.
    (edit: In that link - at point7 you take a step in to meet your partner - she does not travel to wrap in like a normal basket: you do the traveling.)
    Last edited by Gadget; 20th-January-2005 at 03:45 PM. Reason: looked at the link

Quote Originally Posted by under par
    Single or multiple it is not a very alluring move and should be avoided at all costs,( except the very slow tortuous version !!!)
    Hateful move. You can see it being led really badly by beginners, which makes it look dreadful - and very hard to follow, I would imagine.

Er....Someone like Benito

Alison x

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Someone with a good lead that can let you do your own thing! Some guys let you dance to make them look good. I dont know about you lot but would you so not prefer to have fun during a dance!

Quote Originally Posted by Commis Chef
    It is very easy to immediately think of all those things that I don't want in a dance but not so easy to define what those things which are good.
    When I experience a great dance I come away feeling excited or exhilarated by the experience. It can be for various different reasons.

To recognise the positives you have consider the negatives.

1. Positive: The man leads with his hand with a light push-pull action which guides the woman smoothly and clearly in the direction required.
    Negative: The man bounces his hand up and down, has no tone in his hand or arm, bounces his whole body or bends his knees up and down.

2. Positive: The lead is taken through a slot so that the woman moves across the man and will know that the man will have turned to face her by the time she arrives.
    Negative: No slot is used and the man is in a different plane every time. The woman therefore gets dizzy trying to work out where her partner will be next. (A very common fault)

3. Positive: During a return the man keeps his arms soft and flexible so that the woman can turn herself comfortably.
    Negative: During a return the man yanks the woman and her arm to get her to turn, often while keeping his arm too low (too high is also a problem). This results in pulled muscles and injured joints and never wishing to dance with that man again.

4. Positive: The man gives the woman sufficient time (we are always slightly behind due to following) to complete the move and take a rock step ready for the next. Bear in mind if we are in high heels the timing and balance is a little different to sneakers.
    Negative: The man rushes the move so that the woman losses timing or balance.

5. Positive: The man is gracious in accepting an invitation to dance and is polite or complementary at the end.
    Negative: The man makes it obvious that they consider themselves too good for the woman, either due to better level of dancing ability or difference in age group.

6. Positive: A beginner asks for advice from a more experienced woman. It brings out the mother in many of us.
    Negative: A beginner will not listen to kindly offered advice and therefore may develop bad habits.

Lots more I am sure others can add.
    I've just gone back to find this post and I think it's well worth repeating here...an excellent posting and I agree totally with the advice offered.

My best dances, (considering I've only had a few!) have been with.... guys who can keep time with the music, and will slow down when the music slows - I find it really confusing to do moves to the same speed as the rest of the track when the music is going onnnnnnne....twwwwwwwo....threeeeeee...foouuuuuur, but the guy is going one two three four one twon three four.
    Guys who lead clearly. I'd rather do four moves well, over and over than seventeen moves I can't follow! On the other hand, if a guy can lead seventeen moves so I can follow them...ace!
    Guys who are careful where they put their elbows.......my eye socket is NOT a good place....similarly, guys who don't yank my shoulder out of joint.
    Guys who smile.....some reason it's much easier to dance when he's got a grin on his face and is singing along to the music than when he's scowling like he'd rather pluck his nose hairs than dance with me!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mythical View Post
    some reason it's much easier to dance when he's got a grin on his face and is singing along to the music than when he's scowling like he'd rather pluck his nose hairs than dance with me!
    LMFAO, I'll have to try to develop that look. How does one look like you'd rather pluck nose hairs!

A guy who can hear the music, and looks like he is enjoying himself, even if he isn't necessarily smiling.

Oh, yes, and a guy who doesn't grip my hand or dig his fingers in.

M

Thread Information