Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stamping

Re: Stamping

BTW . I don't know of many people up here who 'stamp', but I don't like the idea of a room full of stamping men so any if any Scottish guys are reading this - don't get any ideas!!! DON'T stamp with me !

Heather
    x

The Oracle

Amazing - over 20 posts now, and no-one has suggested stamping this practice out, or putting their foot down.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard
    Somewhere, in the not too distant past, the Hatchback was a beginner move. It now seems to have completely disappeared from the repertoire. However, and anyway, at the time, an optional extra on count four (I think), was that, as the lady was encouraged to go into a c/w spin, there was a STAMP to celebrate this instance of leader domination. It was part of the move, and completely unrelated to the music.
    Yes, I remember that too! There was always a chorus of stamps during the class - and then one or two rogue 'lone' stamps a beat or two after everyone else. At least it raised a laugh, if nothing else.

Ah, heady days, they were...

Blog Entries

Somewhere, in the not too distant past, the Hatchback was a beginner move.
    Pah! I come across a lot of Ceroc®™ Beginner men who lead the Hatchback.

Of course, for some reason, they seem very puzzled when I actually follow what they led.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    Amazing - over 20 posts now, and no-one has suggested stamping this practice out, or putting their foot down.
    Maybe for fear of stepping on someone's toes?
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by Lou

Pah! I come across a lot of Ceroc®™ Beginner men who lead the Hatchback.
    Three year beginners like me I guess ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Lou

Of course, for some reason, they seem very puzzled when I actually follow what they led.
    Perhaps they thought they were doing the yoyo ;-)

Seriously, a lot of ladies are remarkably reluctant to relax the hand-hold and go into the spin/turn, despite my attempts to present a flat hand and sweeping my right arm down toward hip level. But there are exceptions and I really like the move with a good follower where I can think (that's it, just think) of adding a little latinesque style.

Commercial Operator

I stamp.

Not often, but once in a while the music dictates that the right thing to do at the right time is a stamp. And so I do it...

Generally speaking, it's less than once an evening, but at the right point of the right song, which isn't necessarily a break, I think it can really add something.

As for the argument about only attention seekers using stamps: I would agree that this is not an uncommon occurence. However, some would say that some dancers only use air steps or drops to get attention. There are some that do, and some that use these moves for genuine musical reasons. The two can exist and both be present in the same dance hall. The same is for stampers: there isd a time and place and some people feel musically justified in using them.

Flame away...
    Last edited by CJ; 8th-May-2006 at 11:40 AM.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    Maybe for fear of stepping on someone's toes?
    or making waves??

adding a little latinesque style.
    Adding latin style to the hatchback - if only I could. My lambada hatchbacks come out more like lada hatchbacks

Quote Originally Posted by spindr
    It's probably just stomping.
    Stompin' at the Ceroc?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    Still quite a few posts with stamps on them though

This reminds of the time when I first met the Queen....I didn't know whether to shake her hand, or lick the back of her head!

Anyhow, being serious for a sec...ok, that's enough.

CJ - If you stamp as little as 'Less than once an evening', doesn't that make it a tap?

Donna

I know this one guy (haven't seen him for a while now) who used to think it was cool to stamp all the time... not just on the breaks either! He used to make everybody on the floor jump and swing their heads around! I thought one day he's going to give somebody a heart attack. I found it extremely annoying. We went to a freestyle night at Nantwich, and this guy was there! This bits funny.... he did his usual stamping again.. and ... and a piece of wood flew up out of the dance floor, flipped a few times in the air and crashed back onto the dance floor! oooh the tears were rolling down my face that night! You should have seen his face! He was still in his squatting position, in his shorts and boots, staring wide eyed at this plank of wood on the floor and everybody else around him froze too!! I couldn't carry on dancing for laughing so much and had to leave the dance floor! Mind you, he did live out in Australia for a while.. maybe he had jive lessons with the kangaroos or something!

Thumbs down Re: Stamping

Is this stamping thing common north of the border cos there's only one guy in this area who stamps his feet every now and then and the women avoid him like the plague, so beware if you're coming south!
    Personally it gets on my nerves when I hear it happening and seems totally unneccessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    Is this stamping thing common north of the border ...
    No.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    Is this stamping thing common north of the border cos there's only one guy in this area who stamps his feet every now and then and the women avoid him like the plague, so beware if you're coming south!
    Personally it gets on my nerves when I hear it happening and seems totally unneccessary.

No there is two guys up here phil that stamp all the time... you know stamping trev? Dunno the other guys name. There is also a woman who keeps stamping a lot too.. her nickname? the stomping blond!

Commercial Operator

ooooo

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Ceroc Jock
    I stamp.

Not often, but once in a while the music dictates that the right thing to do at the right time is a stamp. And so I do it...

Generally speaking, it's less than once an evening, but at the right point of the right song, which isn't necessarily a break, I think it can really add something.

As for the argument about only attention seekers using stamps: I would agree that this is not an uncommon occurence. However, some would say that some dancers only use air steps or drops to get attention. There are some that do, and some that use these moves for genuine musical reasons. The two can exist and both be present in the same dance hall. The same is for stampers: there isd a time and place and some people feel musically justified in using them.

Flame away...

CJ and I have something in common.

But it's just the one thing. Relief all round then.

I stamp occasionally, and do a flick thing with my lower leg now and again, when the track has a latin flavour. Comes from some Spanish blood somewhere in my ancestry, I think. My sincere apologies to those who abhor such things.

there aint nothing like dancing away at a freestyle and suddenly stamp you think a bombs gone off

Which is the right, I mean correct foot with which to stamp?

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    Which is the right, I mean correct foot with which to stamp?

Thread Information