Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stamping

Stamping

Have we bitched about this recently?

No

. .. . . . . Oh goody!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .. Engage BITCH Mode.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. Disengage Sense of proportion overrides.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . .
    Bloody Stamping really jerks my chain. Stamp OOOOH look at me!!!! I can mark a rythm break in the music with a Stamp

Stamp OOOOOOH looook at me my arse you should be able to mark a break in the music with your dancing not stamping on the floor!

Lets have no more of this ridiculous behaviour from now on.!

Re: Stamping

Stamping is great. Except when I have a sore leg the following day.
    Yeah, that probably means I do it too much. The important point about stamping is that when the music doesn't break when you think it should, you can just alter the music to fix this. No, really.

Scared the beejazus out of me the first few times I heard it happening!! Doesn't (often!) do that to me anymore, just don't see the point ...

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    The important point about stamping is that when the music doesn't break when you think it should, you can just alter the music to fix this. No, really.
    How many DJ's do you know that still use the outdated things like vinyl, or CDs. Stamp as often as you like near my laptop, you still won't creak any breaks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_4711
    Scared the beejazus out of me the first few times I heard it happening!! Doesn't (often!) do that to me anymore, just don't see the point ...
    It can be annoying when you're really connected to a lady, flowing along with the music and then

STAMPSTAMPSTAMPSTAMPSTAMPSTAMPSTAMPSTAMPSTAMPSTAMP STAMP

especially if it startles her.

Now you have to get back to the state you were just in

It can be done well though, in which case it adds to the music. It's like people yelping during a concert. Do it at the right point and the band is encouraged and plays better. Do it at the wrong point however.........

I remember the first time I experienced stamping. I was dancing to a track I hadn't heard before and just hit a break with a slow comb when what seemed like the whole room exploded into stamping! There was a moment of then we both smiled at each other and enjoyed the rest of the slo comb with the rest of the room applauding us with their stamping (ok so the rest of the room probably didn't see it that way and were probably completely oblivious to us- the lady was happy, I was happy - it's all good )

Be Well,
    Christopher

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp
    How many DJ's do you know that still use the outdated things like vinyl, or CDs. Stamp as often as you like near my laptop, you still won't creak any breaks!!
    is there a "yawn" smiley anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon
    is there a "yawn" smiley anywhere
    Strangely enough sleep.gif or maybe yawn2.gif

All hail the laptop DJ. Pete Tong, Tall Paul, Fergie and Fat Boy Slim...Trampy laughs in your (extremely rich!) faces!

HA!

JB

If the stamping you're talking about is the same stamping that I'm thinking of, then I like it. It doesn't happen enough in my book I think I only know of 3 dancers who do it....

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost
    ... what seemed like the whole room exploded into stamping!

I have only come across one or two determined stampers in my regular haunts around Glasgow and Edinburgh... Unless I've just tuned them all out... :non-existent-shrug-smiley:
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Commercial Operator

Is that a challenge?
    I'm up!

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    Stamping is great. Except when I have a sore leg the following day.
    Yeah, that probably means I do it too much. The important point about stamping is that when the music doesn't break when you think it should, you can just alter the music to fix this. No, really.
    Really?

I thought my role as lead was to select moves and timing those moves to somehow reflect or interpret the music I hear. Surely if I STAMP at a quiet moment in the music or just 'cos i want to STAMP to create a break I'm effectively altering the music?

dunno how to follow that really - I like my way better.

hmmmmm i smell bad rep heading my way!

guys... sorry, but what is stampling????
    surely I can't be the only not native reading this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Caro
    guys... sorry, but what is stampling????
    surely I can't be the only not native reading this forum?
    Don't quote me but I think it's supposed to be kind of a 'style' point. It's sometime taught in this area to coincide with a flick spin, the man just stamps hard on the floor and it's usually quite loud.

Personally I think it's done mainly by men who want to draw attention to themselves and I REALLY don't like it. But that's just my opinion

[QUOTE=Miss Conduct]Don't quote me but I think it's supposed to be kind of a 'style' point. It's sometime taught in this area to coincide with a flick spin, the man just stamps hard on the floor and it's usually quite loud.

In my limited experience it's multiple stamps for a second or two - it does kinda sound like applause.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Conduct
    Personally I think it's done mainly by men who want to draw attention to themselves and I REALLY don't like it. But that's just my opinion
    Any Forumites who STAMP care to comment

Be Well,
    Christopher

If it's intentional then it could be an "appel" (sp?) from Paso, or a "sevillanas" (sp? x 2) from Flamenco.

Otherwise, it's probably just stomping.

SpinDr

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Conduct
    Don't quote me but I think it's supposed to be kind of a 'style' point. It's sometime taught in this area to coincide with a flick spin, the man just stamps hard on the floor and it's usually quite loud.

cheers Miss Conduct & Ghost!

If that's what it is, hum I don't really see anything wrong with it provided it is done with the music and not too often... like once in a dance seems more than enough, and only if there is an appropriate time in the track to do it...

a whole dancefloor stamping at the same time... must be funny

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost
    In my limited experience it's multiple stamps for a second or two - it does kinda sound like applause.
    never seen that! again, with the right music and at the right time... might be kinda funny too... would have to see & hear!

Somewhere, in the not too distant past, the Hatchback was a beginner move. It now seems to have completely disappeared from the repertoire. However, and anyway, at the time, an optional extra on count four (I think), was that, as the lady was encouraged to go into a c/w spin, there was a STAMP to celebrate this instance of leader domination. It was part of the move, and completely unrelated to the music.

I have since come to really hate these stamps which are a gross intrusion upon the relationship which I am trying to establish between me, the music, and my partner. Someone else is attempting to assert his (almost always) dominance. If I ignore him, will he go away. Somehow I doubt it.

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard
    Somewhere, in the not too distant past, the Hatchback was a beginner move. It now seems to have completely disappeared from the repertoire.
    The hatchback is one of the classic intermediate moves
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe
    The hatchback is one of the classic intermediate moves

And I thought the hatchback was a type of motor vehicle !

Heather

Thread Information