Thread: Is the forum in danger of too much Hype

Is the forum in danger of too much Hype

Was chatting to a forumite who never posts and doesnt wish too as she regards many theads and chats as far too much 'hype based' and not 'content based'.

I asked what she meant

One example she used is the daily count down to Southport as if its the coming of a new age when its just another dance weekender

I pointed out thats just a fun joke type of thing and defended the position

As she has never posted but is a 'viewer 'I sort of dismissed her 'opinion' of the forum anyway. If she wants to influence the forum she should post

However does she have a point ? Ive got no problem with people building up events we can always knock them after wards

I must admit i found the hype from the forum following STORM interesting, yes it was a 'better weekender' then many but not the 'oracle' ?

Re: Is the forum in danger of too much Hype

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    Was chatting to a forumite who never posts and doesnt wish too as she regards many theads and chats as far too much 'hype based' and not 'content based'.
    My opinion is that there is too much "chit-chat" within 'content based' threads, and I am as big a culprit as anyone else. But this is now more a social forum for people who happen to dance than a dance forum who happen to be sociable.

I think that most of the "hype based" threads tend to be (or should be) in the "events" section, or at least properly headed - avoiding them is fairly simple.

:shrug:

This is a danger with all forums.
    You get people who just cannot stay on topic, people who think threads are there for them and their select 'buddies'. You get forum idiots, you get forum hotshots. You get peeps who just cannot resist breaking the rules. You get forum police.
    Pretty much like any Ceroc night anywhere

In some forums, people who wander off-topic are despised as much as some despise somebody wandering blindly across the center of a dance floor with a drink in their hand. LOL.

By and large tho that all contributes to making the 'community', which is what forums are about. Forums are not usually the best way to deliver information (or content).
    Last edited by TA Guy; 2nd-May-2006 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TA Guy
    This is a danger with all forums.
    You get people who just cannot stay on topic, people who think threads are there for them and their select 'buddies'. You get forum idiots, you get forum hotshots. You get peeps who just cannot resist breaking the rules. You get forum police.
    Pretty much like any Ceroc night anywhere

In some forums, people who wander off-topic are despised as much as some despise somebody wandering blindly across the center of a dance floor with a drink in their hand. LOL.

By and large tho that all contributes to making the 'community', which is what forums are about. Forums are not usually the best way to deliver information (or content).

Hype who needs it ?

Thread Information