Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blues Championships

Blues Championships

In the process of setting up Northwich as a freetstyle venue .. again (must be mad). One of the events we've got slated in is a Blues championship for August ... the only question was what to call it. We started with 'North of England' ... but that sounded a bit limitying ... so we're now toying with things like "The UK Open Blues Championships" ... which of course is MASSIVE oversell .... but thats never stopped anyone else .

Before we get carried away ... what 'true' Blues champs are there? I know that Beach Boogie do one but I was told there was only about had a dozen or so serious competitors. True? What else is out there?

Donna

Re: Blues Championships

In the process of setting up Northwich as a freetstyle venue .. again (must be mad).

Woo Hoo!!! I was wondering who was going to re open it!! Miss that venue already!!! Nice one Gus.

We started with 'North of England' ... but that sounded a bit limitying ...

Yeah it does. It's better to call it something which allows everybody across the UK to enter. Would be much more fun and a more serious competition.

so we're now toying with things like "The UK Open Blues Championships" ... which of course is MASSIVE oversell .... but thats never stopped anyone else
    i think you should just stick to that. Sounds good.

Before we get carried away ... what 'true' Blues champs are there?

Howard and Nicola? Need to work very hard on blues then if we're to get anywhere. (hey you could teach us a few blues moves. )

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    In the process of setting up Northwich as a freetstyle venue .. again (must be mad). One of the events we've got slated in is a Blues championship for August ... the only question was what to call it. We started with 'North of England' ... but that sounded a bit limitying ... so we're now toying with things like "The UK Open Blues Championships" ... which of course is MASSIVE oversell .... but thats never stopped anyone else .

Before we get carried away ... what 'true' Blues champs are there?
    Man City.

Quote Originally Posted by Will
    Man City.
    You poor sad deluded fool. Didn't they tell you ... if you are from London then you support Man UTD!

Donna

You poor sad deluded fool. Didn't they tell you ... if you are from London then you support Man UTD!

Everybody knows the only true 'Blues' champs are ..... CHELSEA!!!

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by LilyB
    CHELSEA!!!
    CHELSKI!!!

At least you should spell it right!

Quote Originally Posted by LilyB

Everybody knows the only true 'Blues' champs are ..... CHELSEA!!!
    eggggs scuse me..........Seagulls ...............Seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeguuuuuuuuuuuuu uuulls

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

TiggsTours

"The UK Open Blues Championships"
    Which would be a contradiction in terms. If it is a "Blues" competition, then it is not "Open" which would indicate any dance style can be used.

The Beach Boogie one is called the UK National Aeriels & Blues Championships, which in itself isn't correct, if its UK, then it also includes Northern Ireland, so its not just National which would be the Nation of Great Britain, which doesn't include NI.

The UK Blues Championships sounds good to me, or the National Blues Championships, I guess it depends who you would open the competition to, if you are opening it to everyone, then there is nothing to stop you calling it the World Blues Championships, or the International Blues Championships.

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    eggggs scuse me..........Seagulls ...............Seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeguuuuuuuuuuuuu uuulls
    Seeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaguuuuuuuuuuulls!!!!!!!

The idea of performance blues sounds odd to me. How true is that to the dance form?

Unhappy Re: Blues Championships

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    The idea of performance blues sounds odd to me. How true is that to the dance form?
    Share the same concern. The point came home when I was trying to explain ten differences of Blues to MJ on a workshop ... its far more internaly focused ... and the essence of it (IMHO) is the feel and connection between the two partners. How you demonstrate that externally I'm not sure.

I remember the last time we ran this comeprition we have Marc and Rachel competing. What they did was an externaly focused dance style, lots of shines, lovely to watch, ineterprested the slower music nicely .... but was it Blues? The judges didnt think so and in the end they weren't placed.

Donna

I remember the last time we ran this comeprition we have Marc and Rachel competing. What they did was an externaly focused dance style, lots of shines, lovely to watch, ineterprested the slower music nicely .... but was it Blues? The judges didnt think so and in the end they weren't placed.

Yeah I remember that! Mine and Ste's first comp!!! We got through to final 5 or something like that anyway, and I thought Marc and Rachel had won it easily, but an old couple did didn't they? (All for a big tube of smarties! )

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    (All for a big tube of smarties! )
    HEY! Don't diss the smarties!!

Donna

HEY! Don't diss the smarties!!
    sorry, but I wouldn't diss the smarties had the finalists all got a big tube of them, and the winners get a little trophy or something?

Hey what about prizes? Anything in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    Hey what about prizes? Anything in mind?
    How about more Smarties? Actualy, considering its a Blues competition, how about a tube of 'Tingle(tm)'

Donna

How about more Smarties? Actualy, considering its a Blues competition, how about a tube of 'Tingle(tm)'

That's brilliant!! (cough cough...uuurrr I'm choking on my sandwich!

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours
    Which would be a contradiction in terms. If it is a "Blues" competition, then it is not "Open" which would indicate any dance style can be used.
    "Open" in the sense that anyone can take part? Seems reasonable to me...
    Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours
    The Beach Boogie one is called the UK National Aeriels & Blues Championships, which in itself isn't correct, if its UK, then it also includes Northern Ireland, so its not just National which would be the Nation of Great Britain, which doesn't include NI.
    "Great Britain" isn't a nation, it's an island. It's possible to think of the UK as a nation, or its constituent parts (England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland) as nations.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    "Open" in the sense that anyone can take part? Seems reasonable to me...
    In dance competitions, "Open" usually means open to any type of style, not to any person.
    Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    "Great Britain" isn't a nation, it's an island. It's possible to think of the UK as a nation, or its constituent parts as nations.
    So you're saying that the UK is the nation, so someone living in Ireland in British, even though they don't live in Britain?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    Because of the (usually) slow tempo it becomes easier to get into more interesting (i.e. entertaining) positions. Also the possibilities in doing moves at double-time can also add excitement.

One of the workshops at the recent Beach Ballroom weekend with Val & Dave was on performance blues, and I believe the routine some of us have recently learnt (and some more will learn this weekend) with Trampy would come under the banner of "performance blues". We will also be performing it at the BFG (or, at least, some of us will...)
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Thread Information