Thread: Cat Burglars

Registered User Tazmanian Devil's Avatar

Angry Cat Burglars

It would appear there is alot of this going on in my area at the moment

I went Greenwich on Saturday night to find out that a friend was in bed the night before when someone entered her house

Then I come into work today to find out that a collegue's Parents also had an intruder in the middle of the night

Then to top it all off another collegue came in and said that her purse and another collegues purse and mobile phone were taken from the surgery last night

I am outraged that this has all happened in one week!!!! No the burglar's haven't got away with much in any of the incidences but it is becoming a little too regular for my liking and these people seem to be very c0cky, just taking things from right underneath our noses

The Forum Legend

Re: Cat Burglars

Yeah. And how much can you get for a 2nd hand cat anyhow??

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp
    Yeah. And how much can you get for a 2nd hand cat anyhow??
    While I know that's a joke

, a lot of cats and dogs have gone "missing" in the Bromley area over the last year. There's some fairly hefty rewards being offered (£10,000 for a beloved dog).

Kinda feel sorry for anyone who breaks into The Wacko's house and meets him and Taz though

Take care,
    Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost
    , a lot of cats and dogs have gone "missing" in the Bromley area over the last year. There's some fairly hefty rewards being offered (£10,000 for a beloved dog).
    In the area around my work, it was thought by the locals that people from work were collecting stray pets and using them at our work. Apparently you could smell them being burnt afterwards! One of the local netball teams refused to visit us for home games because of this rumour!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost
    Kinda feel sorry for anyone who breaks into The Wacko's house and meets him and Taz though
    Are you trying to say I am scary???

No honestly though with all this going on in my local area I am pleased I live with thewacko as the thought of someone breaking in whilst I am sleeping is awful!!!!

Big To anyone this has happened to

The intances of "Cat burglary" ie the burglar entering an occupied premises is in fact very rare.

There are not many burglars with the bottle to enter a building with people inside.

It goes against the grain for them as burglars do not want themselves to be seen.

When you get one cat burglary you normally get a spate of them and quite often the motivation for a spate of cat burglaries is that the burglar is due to be imprisoned soon for other matters.

Further offences are often dealt with by concurrent sentences at court so go down for 20 or 30 rather than 2 or 3 the sentence is often the same.

Often he is getting a nest egg together for family kids etc.

The other motivation but less is severe drug addiction but these people are often so unwell they get caught real quick.

Most burglars look for empty houses whilst people at work or on holiday.

Never ever get a taxi to the airport from your own home.
    Stood outside with all your suitcases a sure sign your home may be empty soon for a while.
    Taxi drivers aren't exactly the most honest breed sometimes either and it has been known for them to pass on details of homes where people are away on holiday to others!!!

Always leave lights on (PS NOT JUST THE HALL LIGHT EITHER< most of don't live in the hall dead give away) and make your home look lived in even if you go to work at 8 in the morning. Should you be delayed for whatever reason in the evening as darkness approaches a house in darkness is an easy opportunity for a burglar.
    This is especially true in the winter months when it gets dark really early. There are always loads of burglaries then and the common factor is house in darkness at 3o clock in the afternoon.

Leave a radio on a talk channel all day not too loud. Its far cheaper than a burglar alarm and again burglars don't like noise from a premises they don't want to get caught the will go to a quiet one.

When leaving your home at anytime why not shout to an imaginary occupant as you close the front door "See you later!" ""don't forget to turn the TV off!"
    or something similar. IF there is any miscreant passing in the street you will certainly put them off burgling your home
    I do this all the time. Especilally as Mrs Par and I are often out most evenings

Remember though burglary is rare.
    Take reasonable steps above and it will help you not to be a victim.

And if the worst happes remember its only money you still have dancing

PS PASS THIS ON TO AS MANY OF YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS AS POSSIBLE SO THEY ALSO DON'T BECOME VICTIMS
    Last edited by under par; 26th-April-2006 at 01:58 PM.

Thankyou Paul, for the insight into the common burglar, and your prevention tips

A truly first class post!

A few years ago, I tried my hand at setting up a home automation business. One of the key selling points of this, was the ability to make your house look lived in while you were out - the first line of defence.

I used a system called 'X10', which is remarkably simple and cheap. In fact I've just started re-equiping my house with it, so if anyone wants further details, I'd be happy to oblige (unless you have previous of course )

Quote Originally Posted by Gojive
    In fact I've just started re-equiping my house with it, so if anyone wants further details, I'd be happy to oblige (unless you have previous of course )
    Good to hear you are taking interest in your security.

Quote Originally Posted by under par
    The intances of "Cat burglary" ie the burglar entering an occupied premises is in fact very rare.

There are not many burglars with the bottle to enter a building with people inside.

It goes against the grain for them as burglars do not want themselves to be seen.

When you get one cat burglary you normally get a spate of them and quite often the motivation for a spate of cat burglaries is that the burglar is due to be imprisoned soon for other matters.

Further offences are often dealt with by concurrent sentences at court so go down for 20 or 30 rather than 2 or 3 the sentence is often the same.

Often he is getting a nest egg together for family kids etc.

The other motivation but less is severe drug addiction but these people are often so unwell they get caught real quick.

Most burglars look for empty houses whilst people at work or on holiday.

Never ever get a taxi to the airport from your own home.
    Stood outside with all your suitcases a sure sign your home may be empty soon for a while.
    Taxi drivers aren't exactly the most honest breed sometimes either and it has been known for them to pass on details of homes where people are away on holiday to others!!!

Always leave lights on (PS NOT JUST THE HALL LIGHT EITHER< most of don't live in the hall dead give away) and make your home look lived in even if you go to work at 8 in the morning. Should you be delayed for whatever reason in the evening as darkness approaches a house in darkness is an easy opportunity for a burglar.
    This is especially true in the winter months when it gets dark really early. There are always loads of burglaries then and the common factor is house in darkness at 3o clock in the afternoon.

Leave a radio on a talk channel all day not too loud. Its far cheaper than a burglar alarm and again burglars don't like noise from a premises they don't want to get caught the will go to a quiet one.

When leaving your home at anytime why not shout to an imaginary occupant as you close the front door "See you later!" ""don't forget to turn the TV off!"
    or something similar. IF there is any miscreant passing in the street you will certainly put them off burgling your home
    I do this all the time. Especilally as Mrs Par and I are often out most evenings

Remember though burglary is rare.
    Take reasonable steps above and it will help you not to be a victim.

And if the worst happes remember its only money you still have dancing

PS PASS THIS ON TO AS MANY OF YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS AS POSSIBLE SO THEY ALSO DON'T BECOME VICTIMS
    1st class stuff, my parents have lights and motorised binds/curtains on auto timers, as they go away a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by under par
    The intances of "Cat burglary" ie the burglar entering an occupied premises is in fact very rare. :Snip:

Thank you Mr UP
    Top quality post. I have copied it and e-mailed it to all my non forum friends and family

Quote Originally Posted by Tazmanian Devil
    Top quality post. I have copied it and e-mailed it to all my non forum friends and family
    You have some

No seriously it's an awful situation to be in. Its a real invasion

*thinks of bringing along cat to Bromley thurday*

On a serious note it must be dreadful to have your home broken into. My friend was recently asleep upstairs with her 2 children. She woke up suddenly to hear someone downstairs. Afraid they could here her she kept still but all the time was worried that her children may wake up for the loo and alarm the burgulars. She hunted for her home phone and mobile but realised they were down stairs. She waited til she heard the front door close and then looked out of the window. The young man that left looked back and saw my friend. He ran out to the road and got into my friends car. Another man was inside the the car and drove off. Shaking she ran down the stairs and grabbed the phone to call the police. She hid with her 2 children in one bedroom til the police arrived. After a search she found they took both her mobile phones, her handbag and her little car. My friend is still shaken but this dreadful ordeal but is glad that her children are safe.

One thing shocked my friend was she had had this new double glazing fitted and if you dont double lock it from the inside then, with a plastic card you can be in a home in seconds. Worth thinking about if you have this plastic double glazing on your front door.

My friend always had her mobile phone on display charging in the kitchen with blinds open and her car keys you can see clearly hanging up in the hallway. Everything is well hidden now!

Thread Information