Thread: Angry/negative people can be bad for your brain

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo

Angry/negative people can be bad for your brain

This post in a blog I check regularly makes an interesting read (IMHO).

Re: Angry/negative people can be bad for your brain

One part of it says " When we are talking to someone who is depressed it may make us feel depressed, whereas if we talk to someone who is feeling self-confident and buoyant we are likely to feel good about ourselves. This phenomenon, known as emotional contagion, is identified here, and compelling evidence for its affect is offered from a variety of disciplines - social and developmental psychology, history, cross-cultural psychology, experimental psychology, and psychopathology."

Some interesting points made.

Lee

Hiya. I took the time to read the article from end to end.. (took quite a while.) I even printed the majority of it out to show other people!!

It explains why I keep the company I keep.... I just like happy people around me.. it makes me feel good. Most of the people that I am not in contact with any more, have tended to be the pessimistic type... I guess for me then, it has proven its point.

Thank you for that, I found it very informative.

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by jacksondonut
    Hiya. I took the time to read the article from end to end.. (took quite a while.) I even printed the majority of it out to show other people!!

It explains why I keep the company I keep.... I just like happy people around me.. it makes me feel good. Most of the people that I am not in contact with any more, have tended to be the pessimistic type... I guess for me then, it has proven its point.

Thank you for that, I found it very informative.

Jan
    Is that why i have no friends?

Lee

Donna

This is a very interesting thread.

There is now strong evidence to suggest that humans have the same type of "mirror neurons" found in monkeys. It's what these neurons do that's amazing--they activate in the same way when you're watching someone else do something as they do when you're doing it yourself! We learn from watching others.
    Mine obviously don't work properly then... I watch a good dancer, and I'm still not on their level! Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    This is a very interesting thread.

Mine obviously don't work properly then... I watch a good dancer, and I'm still not on their level! Yet.
    Osmosis - make close body contact with a good dancer - and soak it in...

Taking positivity a little too far?

THANK YOU
    for the wife who says it's pizza tonight, because she is home with me, and not out with someone else.
    for the husband who is on the sofa, being a couch potato, because he is home with me, and not out at the bars.
    for the teenacger who is complaining about doing dishes, because it means she is at home, not on the streets.
    for the taxez I pay because it means I am employed
    for the mess to clean after a party because it means I have been surrounded by friends.
    for the clothes that fit a little too snug because it means I have enough to eat.
    for a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing, because it means I have a home.
    for all the compalining I hear about the government because it means we have freedom of speech.
    For the parking spot I find at the far end of the parking lot because it means I am capable of walking and I have been blessed with transportation.
    for my huge heating bill because it means I am warm,
    for the lady behind me in church who sings off key because it means I can hear.
    for the pile of laundry and ironing because it means I have clothes to wear.
    for weariness and aching muscles at the end of the day because it means I have been capable of working hard.
    for the alarm that goes off in the early morning hours because I means I am alive.
    and finally, for too much email because it means I have friends who are thinking of me.

Re: Taking positivity a little too far?

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks
    THANK YOU
    for the wife who says it's pizza tonight, because she is home with me, and not out with someone else.
    for the husband who is on the sofa, being a couch potato, because he is home with me, and not out at the bars.
    for the teenacger who is complaining about doing dishes, because it means she is at home, not on the streets.
    for the taxez I pay because it means I am employed
    for the mess to clean after a party because it means I have been surrounded by friends.
    for the clothes that fit a little too snug because it means I have enough to eat.
    for a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing, because it means I have a home.
    for all the compalining I hear about the government because it means we have freedom of speech.
    For the parking spot I find at the far end of the parking lot because it means I am capable of walking and I have been blessed with transportation.
    for my huge heating bill because it means I am warm,
    for the lady behind me in church who sings off key because it means I can hear.
    for the pile of laundry and ironing because it means I have clothes to wear.
    for weariness and aching muscles at the end of the day because it means I have been capable of working hard.
    for the alarm that goes off in the early morning hours because I means I am alive.
    and finally, for too much email because it means I have friends who are thinking of me.
    I kinda think of life in the above terms too... apart from the email bit.... is usually text messaging...

Thread Information