Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
I've heard this sort of argument before... I don't understand it personally...

iTunes offers to search your disk and copy music files into its library when it is run for the first time. I believe it leaves the originals where it found them. But it asks you before it does this.
Ah, but it didn't leave the originals where it found them, when I tried it, which is what drove me nuts. And what exactly is the point of splitting up a compilation album [especially a mix album] into 25 separate folders and further subfolders on my hard drive? I have my music sorted in folders in a way that makes sense to me, someone else deciding they know better how to organise my files is being a bit presumptuous. Especially as a mp3 player is not the only programme using those files.
My issue is that file shuffling that was the default with no warning or indication. Though I think Apple may have changed that since as they unsurprisingly upset a few people.

Originally Posted by jezzyjj
I refuse to use products that lock you in.
I hope you don't use any Microsoft software then!
[quote] I don't know of any MS software that does that. After all opening a Word or Excel doc on a Mac is no problem as Office for Macs is available and always used to be slightly ahead of the PC version for some reason. And plenty of other programmes can open those documents too. Plus old Windows software still runs on the newer OSs.
I got quite excited when Apple launched Aperture as it did so many things I really wanted but it failed on two counts, only working on one hard drive and being proprietry in nature, so if Apple ever dropped the Programme you were completely stufffed. And the chance of any programme lasting 20, let alone 50 years is pretty slim. I'm sticking to Adobe for now as plenty of other programmes can work with their files. And they are promoting solutions that everyone can use.
If they've just bought a new PowerPC Mac, and compatible software, presumably they were happy when they bought it. What has changed? I assume they can't afford a second new Intel Mac, so it doesn't matter if their new software doesn't run so well on it.
I think you nay have missed my point, they have software that works fine but if they need to replace their computer, then they have to buy new software as Apple dropped legacy support for older software and as the cost of Software can be waaaay more than a new computer and if you had to replace a dead laptop just b4 the new MacBooks came out then you'd be gutted as you'd have to do it all over again when that laptop died.