Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dance Injuries - Q & A's....

Donna

Re: Dance Injuries - Q & A's....

Quote Originally Posted by LilyB
    My advice is not to do this move. I believe that one of the couples who entered last year's Ceroc Scotland Competition was in fact disqualified because of this move. It is very likely the lady's feet came off the floor momentarily due to the couple's enthusiasm, but the judges/scrutineer considered that to have been a lift, albeit only a tiny one. Better to play safe.

Aaaawwww.. that means no sausage rolls either? (I'm sure I'll get somebody asking what this is )

My advice is not to do this move. I believe that one of the couples who entered last year's Ceroc Scotland Competition was in fact disqualified because of this move. It is very likely the lady's feet came off the floor momentarily due to the couple's enthusiasm, but the judges/scrutineer considered that to have been a lift, albeit only a tiny one. Better to play safe.
    Yup! It was myself and Simon.......... One inch can make all the difference!

You are right Lily - enthusiasm got the better of us!

Elaine

Thank you Lily, best to play it safe.

Hiya Lily,

Thanks for that nuget!
    I don't feel so bad about us missing that move out now

Best wishes
    Martin

PS:
    Looking forward to seeing all of you this weekend!

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by marty_baby
    I don't feel so bad about us missing that move out now

I bet you don't!!

I'm a bit worried now as I kicked my bad toe (which was starting to heal up yesterday) up on the stairs last night and now it's totally swollen and blue!!!!! I can't walk on it at all today and it won't bend. Not sure about this weekend after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    I bet you don't!!

I'm a bit worried now as I kicked my bad toe (which was starting to heal up yesterday) up on the stairs last night and now it's totally swollen and blue!!!!! I can't walk on it at all today and it won't bend. Not sure about this weekend after all.

Donna!

...what I mean't to say was - my competing head says "boo hoo - that wow move is out of the window!

... my body is saying "phew!" however!

Bad toe took a smack? sods law huh? if you are going to kick something... its always going to be with the bad toe!....

Hope the Toe swelling goes down quickly!

Martin

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by marty_baby
    Bad toe took a smack? sods law huh? if you are going to kick something... its always going to be with the bad toe!....

Hope the Toe swelling goes down quickly!

Martin
    Yeah it's been a bad week and something has definately got it in for me today!! Wasn't going to come into work but money you see. I've had to put flat shoes on today instead and have anti inflammatory cream for it.

And you're right, it would happen to be the bad one that I kick up rather than the other! It was only a tap as well! The pain was so bad I felt sick last sick. Hope it settles down by Sat as of course you do a lot of walking around in London - and with a heavy bag - hmmm not good.

Donna.

Help I am in absolute agony and have no idea what to do. Last night I went dancing and whilst in a drop a man piled into us. I heard a sickening crack but carried on despite the pain. I drove home feeling a little tender and all through the night the pain got worse and worse. I can not turn my head to one side or lift my arm up. The pain is going right up through my head and is making me feel sick. I can not even put my head on my chin and if I put my head back I have to pull it forward by my hair.

What have I done?

So the question is do I go to the hospital or a physio/massage person (I do know one that I have used before).

Quote Originally Posted by Missy D View Post
    Help I am in absolute agony and have no idea what to do. Last night I went dancing and whilst in a drop a man piled into us. I heard a sickening crack but carried on despite the pain. I drove home feeling a little tender and all through the night the pain got worse and worse. I can not turn my head to one side or lift my arm up. The pain is going right up through my head and is making me feel sick. I can not even put my head on my chin and if I put my head back I have to pull it forward by my hair.

What have I done?

So the question is do I go to the hospital or a physio/massage person (I do know one that I have used before).
    Thats the pain, intence sickness & lack of mobility I have had since last year now! And its NOT getting any better, hence me not dancing or anything..

Defo go and check it out either by your doctor or hospital! Sounds like you trapped a nerve and pulled a muscle...(muscle went into serious spasm)...I might be wrong so pls go and check the damange out ASAP.

What have I done?

sounds like you have seriously strained something in your neck/shoulder - best course of action would be to see a medical practitioner or if you have a physio/osteo that you see regular maybe them

This is not the sort of thing that you want to just leave to it’s own devices

Medical advice from forumites is always to be taken with a pinch of salt, but I can't see any reason not to use an ice pack (or bag(s) of frozen peas!) to try to relieve the immediate pain.

What have I done?
    I think it's fairly clear you've got muscles going into spasm, but I think you'd need to see a professional to find out exactly what the underlying damage is.

After some experience going both private and through the NHS, my inclination is to recommend the NHS - call me cynical, but their interest is to get you "off the books" ASAP, while the private practioners seem quite happy if you need to keep seeing them for years. On t'other hand, you'll probably have to wait quite a while to be seen on the NHS...

What have I done?

That sounds really painful Ms D!

Ditto all the above.

Couple more things tho:
    1. Do get it checked out ASAP - The longer you leave it, the harder to Doctors/Sports Physio's job to diagnose and sort out etc.

2. If driving to doctors is an issue - get a lift! but do seek proff help as soon as you can.

Commercial Operator

Yep get to your GP asap.

My GP was very helpful when I had a knee problem - she was very keen to get me up and dancing again, she told me that it's part of the vogue for preventative medicine - happy people who exercise are less of a burden to the NHS

I phoned my physio man but he was out the country along with many others that I called. My doctor was no help either. I finally found a sports injury typ of person and after gently examining me said he could treat me. So first he stood me up and was doing the T1, T2 stuff, getting me to lift my arms etc. He asked me to move my head up and down which I couldnt do (less pain would occur cutting off my arm). I could also, only slightly turn my head to one side. He laid me down on my back and was gently pulling my head extending my neck etc this was first relief I had from pain all day. I was almost dozing off. Then all of a sudden with a quick snapping action he cracked my neck. I screamed with pain and shouted "you have broken my neck". He just smiled and carried on saying he wouldnt do it again "today". Apparently, I have a 'facet' (not sure how its spelt) bone that had moved and now have a swelling around this area. I have lots more movement but still in great pain. I cannot dance for a couple of days which is a real bummer but I have to take his advice.

I am taking muscle relaxants regularly and thats all I can do until the swelling goes down.

Oh joy! a weekend of tv for me!

Here I am today in more pain than ever. Cant get through to NHS Direct or any of the local doctors. Still taking culprofen every 4 hours which just makes me sleep. Not sure whether I should be trying to move my neck or maybe I should be wearing one of those sexy collars. Anyone on the forum know anything about neck injuries or could give me some advise please

A & E on saturday and luckily no broken bones. However, the swelling in my neck is still bad. Feel totally out of it most of the time on Vallium, Culprofen and Co drydramol. Tried to wash my hair earlier but will have to wait til it rains as cannot put my head over the bath. Oh joy! Supposed to start Physio today but couldnt drive the car. Anyone know of any gently exercises to start doing to help this?

A & E on saturday ...........on Vallium, Culprofen and Co drydramol......

..... Its sounds pretty bad there Missy!

....hope you get well soon! Call in favours and get a lift to the physio!

Martin

(less pain would occur cutting off my arm)
    He cut off your arm !

I really hope you get better soon Missy D .

Registered User Almost an Angel's Avatar
    Heaven of course, currently on secondment to purgatory

A & E on saturday and luckily no broken bones. However, the swelling in my neck is still bad. Feel totally out of it most of the time on Vallium, Culprofen and Co drydramol. Tried to wash my hair earlier but will have to wait til it rains as cannot put my head over the bath. Oh joy! Supposed to start Physio today but couldnt drive the car. Anyone know of any gently exercises to start doing to help this?
    Really Sorry to hear you hurt your neck.
    Gentle
    It's not fun at all as I know well from last year when I had whiplash - I was on very similar medication to you for about 2 months. I was recommended an Osteopath by other dance friends and his help was amazing not only did he give me exercises that helped strengthen my neck but he also got it moving again. It might be worth trying to find one. Mines local to me and too far away for you otherwise I'd recomend him.

As for exercises I won't try and describe them here but the best advice I was given by the Osteo was to keep my neck moving - I know it hurts etc and it feels bad but you really really need to - even if it's just little tiny natural movements such as nodding or shaking it will be much better than trying to hold yourself stiff. Even if it feels really un-natural to you - but just make sure you only go as far as is comfortable and bearable.

I really sympathise wrt the hair washing - I remember it well!! I had to get help in the end.

Hope it mends soon - Angel xx

Thread Information