Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Training the Best – Common sense or Elitism

Re: Training the Best – Common sense or Elitism

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    There is no need to write the question in big letters.

There is no need to write your answer in even bigger letters, especially if it is incomplete.

Apologies!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    I have suggested in the past that forming a formation cabaret team might be a good idea. I also suggested that they should use a separate room in a new venue for training on a class night. I saw this as a way of getting some more advanced dancers along.
    Funny, if any area in the UK has got the organisation, the teachers and the dancers to do an organsied team, its Ceroc Central. However, despite two dancers from the region winning the openning Ceroc Champs, I don't think that CCentral have never organised anythging of this ilk. Mayber its just needs someone to ask Phil or Michela?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Funny, if any area in the UK has got the organisation, the teachers and the dancers to do an organsied team, its Ceroc Central. However, despite two dancers from the region winning the openning Ceroc Champs, I don't think that CCentral have never organised anythging of this ilk. Mayber its just needs someone to ask Phil or Michela?
    Emma has her troupe who (sometimes) perform at the Daventry freestyles. I don't know if they ever compete though. Some people from this area might cynically suggest that Phil wouldn't be interested in anything that didn't have a direct financial benefit. Not knowing him, I couldn't possibly comment on that.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by robd
    Some people from this area might cynically suggest that Phil wouldn't be interested in anything that didn't have a direct financial benefit. Not knowing him, I couldn't possibly comment on that.
    ....and to be fair, why should he? Ceroc Central is the most succesfull (and probably most profitable) MJ franchise in the UK, and all down to hard work and Phil's well known commercial expertise. Comes back to the 'charity' v 'business' argument ... again.

However, given the availability of good dancers and teachers, any individual could try to set something up.

Commercial Operator

Who was this then.....

Quote Originally Posted by Simon r
    Who was this then.....
    1999 Champs were won by a lass from Peterborough club (who I used to dance with) and a SE Asian lad, might have been called Marco (from Bedford ?), who later became a teacher for Phil. They were the best dancers BY MILES. Would be nice to see it again on video to see how that (then) awesome display compares to the standards now.

Ahhhhh ... just seen why you queried ... didn't make it all clear I was talking history

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Emma has her troupe who (sometimes) perform at the Daventry freestyles. I don't know if they ever compete though.
    They do compete and in the past have sometimes done quite well.
    Eg. last year they were placed 3rd at Blackpool and 2nd at Ceroc champs

they didn't compete at Blackpool this year as they were at Storm . . .

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Emma has her troupe who (sometimes) perform at the Daventry freestyles. I don't know if they ever compete though.
    Emma won, with her team, at the Ceroc Champs in 2003 (I think) and she also had a team at Blackpool one year, maybe 2004?
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

I guess it depends what you're trying to achieve. If you want to make a name for yourself as a teacher, then take the top 15 and train them up for performances. If you're trying to make your venue an enjoyable place to dance, then take 15 of your regular intermediates, especially ones with bad habits that limit their potential, and train them to be excellent social dancers.

Simplest option: train those who wish to be trained.

Donna

I guess it depends what you're trying to achieve. If you want to make a name for yourself as a teacher, then take the top 15 and train them up for performances.
    This is a great idea and is one that my teacher has come up with. (not that there are 15 dancers that he could pick out in our venue as most of them area at beginner level) He's thinking of using a few of the dancers to do a cabaret which really does help to improve your dancing.

Simplest option: train those who wish to be trained.
    At least then if there is that option nobody can start whinging about feeling left out.

someone did I suggested this when Bedford opened on a Monday night, as a way of getting more experienced dancers along. It is easy to suggest things when your own cash, time and reputation are not on the line.

Thread Information