Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spring Clean!

Re: Spring Clean!

Quote Originally Posted by Emma
    I looked at the carpet this morning and decided it needed hoovering....does that count?

My top hoovering track is currently 'Chaiyya Chaiyya', Punjabi MC (From the Inside Man soundtrack).
    Top tip for hoovering
    Do it in high heels., listening to tango music. Practice your posture and keep that tummy in and presenting leg locked out. In courners do ocho ocho ocho in backwards broad sweeping movements. You get an interesting finish on the carpet but it will have been hoovered like never before

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Top tip - invite some forumites to stay - worked for me - my spare room is a bedroom once again!

And in the process I completely filled my recycling bin and had 3 bags for the charity shop. I've just filled another 2 bags today. I still have more to do...
    That was just a 'rough tidy' so that my guests would have space to sleep. I've been having a more thorough clear out. I think the recycling bin will be full again, I think there will be another 3 bags for the charity shop. How can I have so much stuff in the house?

I've been fairly ruthless, a lot of stuff has gone out on the basis that I haven't looked at it for several years (and might not have even known where to find it if I did) but I've come across some memories in the process. Good ones, but sad too.

Definitely something you have to be in the right mood for. And yes, I've had the music on, and closed myself in one room with bin bags, shredder and recycling bag. Plan to move on to another room tomorrow.
    Last edited by Lynn; 27th-August-2006 at 11:46 PM.

Definitely something you have to be in the right mood for. And yes, I've had the music on, and closed myself in one room with bin bags, shredder and recycling bag. Plan to move on to another room tomorrow.
    I need to do this. In particular, I need to chuck out all the clothes that I never wear! Think I've got two pairs of brand new jeans that I might have worn once (each, not at the same time! ), that are far too big, some trousers that just don't fit right, and lots of other clothes that have been hanging in my wardrobe for several years without being used...

Also need to have a BIG clear out of my studio, which will involve chucking out unsold work and seconds, as well as all those bits and pieces I've kept 'because they might come in handy one day'! Really should do this before the open weekend in October... Last time I had a clear out in my studio, I filled 4 binbags.... And you still couldn't see much of a difference!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    I need to do this. In particular, I need to chuck out all the clothes that I never wear! Think I've got two pairs of brand new jeans that I might have worn once (each, not at the same time! ), that are far too big, some trousers that just don't fit right, and lots of other clothes that have been hanging in my wardrobe for several years without being used...
    Yep, doing that too. Plan to take a few bags to the charity shop today. You have to be in the right frame of mind to do that though, otherwise you think 'but I might wear it...' and it goes back in the wardrobe.

One top I just put in the charity shop pile still had its labels on it. But I don't mind too much not having worn it, it was from Primark and was reduced from £5 to 20p!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    Also need to have a BIG clear out of my studio, which will involve chucking out unsold work and seconds, as well as all those bits and pieces I've kept 'because they might come in handy one day'! Really should do this before the open weekend in October... Last time I had a clear out in my studio, I filled 4 binbags.... And you still couldn't see much of a difference!
    It get worse before it gets better doesn't it? Somehow once I've started I seem to have even more stuff and the place looks worse, despite so much going into bins/recycling. That's why I opted to do it on a bank hol weekend, at least I can keep going till I start to see some progress!

Should really get back to it! But I'm having a teabreak!

well.. Part "spring" clean.. Part "decluttering" and Mostly Liquidating my assets, I've been taking loads of my "Junk" (for junk read most of my 800 strong DVD collection) to the local second hand place or flogging it on Ebay.

Have piles of clothes and books I've taken to charity shops too. Problem is I moved into my Flat in Jan and I'm STILL living out of boxes !!

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    Problem is I moved into my Flat in Jan and I'm STILL living out of boxes !!
    I shall be moving house this coming weekend and have promised myself that all boxes shall be unpacked and my stuff put away by

Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    well.. Part "spring" clean.. Part "decluttering" and Mostly Liquidating my assets
    Yep. mine is decluttering, not spring cleaning. Its a slow process as some things need to be kept and therefore filed appropriately. I've been mostly working on paper and still have I reckon about 10-12 hours worth of that to do at some point - mostly reorganising and filing.

Moving on to books, clothes and bits and pieces today.

I've a treat lined up for tomorrow evening (an offer I couldn't refuse), so I really have to get a lot done today in order to go to that - but its also an incentive!

Anyone got any other tips for motivation to declutter?

Moving on to books, clothes and bits and pieces today.
    Realised I don't have enough space for all my books, but I'm not very good at getting rid of them as I do re-read.

Just took 3 large bags, mostly clothes, to the charity shop... and came back with 2 more books.

Measuring up patio to see if neighbour will fit under it

I have been decluttering my house, garage and shed and you would never know i even started 8 bin bags of clothes kids toys etc went to the local charity shop and four car loads of stuff that was just no good went to the local recycling centre, i feel much better having got rid of so much stuff but still seem to have lots it's amazing how much stuff you collect

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    I shall be moving house this coming weekend and have promised myself that all boxes shall be unpacked and my stuff put away by

Christmas!

Goodluck!
    When I evenutally move into the flat I'm buying I'm planning to be as ruthless as I was when I moved out of the one that I sold.

LMC's Top Tips for spring cleaning:

Never put washing away. Wash, dry, pile on coffee table , wear, wash. Check wardrobe every six months or so, anything still in there is obviously not wanted, down to the charity shop with it (unless interview suit maybe).

Anything you know you *should* get rid of, but can't quite bear to: into a black plastic sack or a box (as appropriate). Seal and label with the date and stash somewhere (behind the ironing pile is good). Six months later: can you remember what's in there? If not, you don't want it, don't even open the container, down the the charity shop with it.

Books: I ask myself "Am I keeping it because I WILL re-read it, or just because everything else is crap sci fi (most of the chick lit has gorn) and the gathering-dust tome makes me appear to be intelligent with a well-rounded personality (yer right)?" (exclusions: some reference books like the DIY manual)

Spring cleaning can be done any time of year. But not too often, it only needs doing again in a few months time.

Thread Information