Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A good nights sleep

A good nights sleep

I’m use to detached houses and made a mistake of moving to end terrace house with thin walls and hear lots of noise from next door late at night. Its not loud noise but I hear it.

I’m going to move back to detached hopefully in the next few months

In the interim does any one use or recommend anything that would allow a light sleeper to get some sleep

I tried ear plugs once but couldn’t get use to them

I hear there are non addictive sleep syrups ?

I thought of having the TV on all night but that’s silly ?

I always wake up with my watch alarm and guess im concerned I wouldnt want anything that would mean Id over sleep

Donna

Re: A good nights sleep

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    I’m use to detached houses and made a mistake of moving to end terrace house with thin walls and hear lots of noise from next door late at night. Its not loud noise but I hear it.

In the interim does any one use or recommend anything that would allow a light sleeper to get some sleep

I always wake up with my watch alarm and guess im concerned I wouldnt want anything that would mean Id over sleep
    My advice is just to move out. You've tried everything you possibly can do to try and have a good nights sleep. I can imagine the ear plugs being very uncomfortable and I'd imagine they could cause ear infections after a while. Not good. You could however try Natra Sleep? They help you to relax more so you might just find it easier to sleep through even the slightest noise. You can take two or three every night... I'D TAKE THREE IF I WAS YOU. I found they helped me to relax a little and did make a slight improvement but it works differently for everybody. Warning: They taste absolutely disgusting!!

I'm having problems sleeping at the mo too! I have an attic bedroom and two big windows on each side. Now the clocks have gone forward, and it being lighter around 6 I keep waking up too early. I have cream blinds to guess I will have to find some darker ones for the summer!

I've most probably had only one good nights sleep since the Blackpool comp anyway! Always getting in late from dance classes (ok, I mean the pub AFTER dance classes! ) and not much sleep at the weekends either! Some Sunday's I have to get up at 7.30 to get to Manchester for 9.30 for ballroom lessons. I've tried changing the time of the lesson but all other slots are booked. I could just curl up under my desk and sleep now!

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    My advice is just to move out. You've tried everything you possibly can do to try and have a good nights sleep.
    I havent tried anything

The ear plugs i tried were about 3yrs ago one night else where

Anyway if people think im grumpy ,they will know why

Having a cup of Ovaltine before you go to bed can help as it contains B vitamins and melatonin, which all help the body to relax naturally.

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Why don't you have a word with your neighbours?
    They might not even realize how noisy they are.

AS your not an insommiac....I recommend you use something non addictive such as:
    Valerian :which are a herbal relaxant. Great for anxiety and relaxes oneself. I used this myself in the past..This works! 500mg capsule is enough ..

OR

Seratone 5-HTP: A calming natural relaxant. Its a chemical that the body produces to regulate appetite, mood enhancer, sleep patterns, sexual desires Its also great for weight control by reducing cravings or desire to overeat.

If you didnt want to take herbal capsules, you could always try a warm lavender bath with scented candles and light relaxing music in the background. Try placing a dab of lavender on your pillow and under your nose...and listening to some light relaxing music whilst your trying to drift off.

Yoga also helps....(I'm sure you would look pretty sexy with some tight lycra shorts on )

A warm sweet drink always helps: ie milk with honey or Horlicks. Or a cup of Ovaltine before you go to bed can help as it contains B vitamins and melatonin, which all help the body to relax naturally
    Last edited by senorita; 7th-April-2006 at 11:55 AM.

Maybe try ear plugs again and get a watch that has a vibrating alarm and wear that while you sleep.

Take care,
    Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly
    I can sympathise with you - my neighbours seem to think that the washing machine only works in the wee small hours. I left it for a couple of months when I first moved in to my house before going to speak to them about it. To be honest, she didnt take it so well, and I did get my face torn, but it did stop the early morning laundry activities (5-6am) (for a while).

Their son also thinks its great to share his taste in music with everyone in the block, but I just cannot be bothered going up to challenge them/discuss it with them. I tend to turn my radio up dead loud first thing in the morning . It probably doesnt have any effect on them, but it gives me a feeling of getting my own back on her . . .

Earplugs, ovaltine, conversation all might help you out - good luck!

beebs x

I was sometimes kept awake by "bedroom" noises from my neighbour downstairs...

It wasn't really a problem, though I had to complain to them when they got too quiet.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

linny lou!

A good nights sleep in student halls is something that doesnt exist! lol! especially when theres a stampeed up and down the corridor at 5am!

As someone who has done shift work for 24 years and had to endure many many weeks of night shifts I can sympathise with exterior noise interupting sleep.
    The world doesn't stop whilst night workers try and sleep.

My solution for blocking out most of exterior noise is to have a radio playing on a
    talk channel (I mostly use radio 5).

The volume of the chat on the radio is very low which creates a low level background noise in your own room. The key to success is to find the right level of volume so that it does not annoy you and keep you awake.

This low level noise acts as a cushion or quilt to cloak around you and fill the room and will stop you hearing most exterior noises even during day time when the world is alive, even with bedroom window open.

quilted eye covers also maintain the darkness to stop any light from most sources from informing the brain that it is light outside which help s a lot too.

I'm going back to bed now it sounds all too good for me.

Thank god I've only got 6 years left to do.

Then the only nights I will be doing will be weekenders

Please no sympathy rep

Quote Originally Posted by under par
    Thank god I've only got 6 years left to do.

Please no sympathy rep
    No remission for good behaviour then?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm King
    No remission for good behaviour then?

You get less for mass murder

Donna

AS your not an insommiac....I recommend you use something non addictive such as:
    Valerian :which are a herbal relaxant. Great for anxiety and relaxes oneself. I used this myself in the past..This works! 500mg capsule is enough ..
    This is in almost every herbal sleeping tablet. It's in Natra sleep too! Great stuff!

If you didnt want to take herbal capsules, you could always try a warm lavender bath with scented candles and light relaxing music in the background. Try placing a dab of lavender on your pillow and under your nose...and listening to some light relaxing music whilst your trying to drift off.
    I've tried this! It's good...but you tend to get sick of lavendar after a while.

A warm sweet drink always helps: ie milk with honey or Horlicks. Or a cup of Ovaltine before you go to bed can help as it contains B vitamins and melatonin, which all help the body to relax naturally
    OOOOOHHH HORLICKS! Love it! I've ran out of the stuff now though!

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly

Ok there russians tenants i think, probably up to 7 in there anyone time, all young. The house is for sale any way, but has been for months (it was empty before for 5 months ). Ive only lived there 18 months and want to move anyway (this is just 20% of reason)

I have no problem with telling them to shut up if their noisy but where does one draw the line ? I want to move and dont want legal stuff

Ive told them to shut up twice and they have immediately, i dont think there nasty per say

Paper thin walls and 5 of them chatting at 2am thats all

Ive done the ok im up at 6.45am for work lets put the tele on really loud stuff but not really the ans

Im going to try Nytol

A lot of people may not even notice the noise but i do, particulary if i use a glass and press it to the wall

Donna

Ok there russians tenants i think, probably up to 7 in there anyone time, all young. The house is for sale any way, but has been for months (it was empty before for 5 months ). Ive only lived there 18 months and want to move anyway (this is just 20% of reason)

Ooohh nothing worse then than living next door to a bunch of students. (They are students aren't they?) The sooner they go the better. Mind you, if the walls are paper thin then I guess you'll be having the same problem all the time.

Ive done the ok im up at 6.45am for work lets put the tele on really loud stuff but not really the ans
    Yeah you're asking for them to get worse if that's what you're doing. They'll just want revenge all the time.

Commercial Operator Swinging bee's Avatar

[Thank god I've only got 6 years left to do.

Please no sympathy rep [/QUOTE]

Those 6 years will fly and then whoopeeeeeee, retirement from the force is the best kept secret in the world

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Swinging bee
    [Thank god I've only got 6 years left to do.

Please no sympathy rep

Those 6 years will fly and then whoopeeeeeee, retirement from the force is the best kept secret in the world [/QUOTE]

Just think about all that sleep you need to catch up on!

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    I was sometimes kept awake by "bedroom" noises from my neighbour downstairs...

It wasn't really a problem, though I had to complain to them when they got too quiet.
    had to read it twice to make sure I had read it properly

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    had to read it twice to make sure I had read it properly

Yeah me too!

Thread Information