Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dance Pumps

Dance Pumps

My third pair of Bloch trainers (538s) are rapidly approaching the end of their life. Since 2000 I've only danced in Blochs and have finally managed to get used to this split sole thing and no longer can blame the lack of support for me falling over while spinning. However, do I just go out and get a pair of the Bloch 539s or are their competitior products which are better?

I saw some dance pumps a while back which had a suede fore foot, but these seemed to have disappeared. Just to complicate matters, I'm flat footed and my right leg is nearly an inch shorter so stability is a bit of an issue (not that I've ever been accused of being overly stable though ).

Re: Dance Pumps

Only one pair of dance shoes? How weird...

Daisy

(A Multi-shoed Little Fower)

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    My third pair of Bloch trainers (538s) are rapidly approaching the end of their life. Since 2000 I've only danced in Blochs and have finally managed to get used to this split sole thing and no longer can blame the lack of support for me falling over while spinning. However, do I just go out and get a pair of the Bloch 539s or are their competitior products which are better?

I saw some dance pumps a while back which had a suede fore foot, but these seemed to have disappeared. Just to complicate matters, I'm flat footed and my right leg is nearly an inch shorter so stability is a bit of an issue (not that I've ever been accused of being overly stable though ).
    Hi Gus

We had Dave Martin from Kingdom Of Dance at the Wrexham Venue last night. He's got some new shoes in stock.. some of which I think you might be interested in. He's thinking of opening a new store in Altrincham too! No problem for you then with it being just down the road! I seen some really nice dance trainers. Really thin (which is great! fits nicely around the feet and allows them to breath!!) and very flexible. I only saw the pink ones (I'm sure you don't want those though! ) However as for the different leg size.. Hey you could always have the shoe for your right foot made with a heel an extra inch higher!!! Just kiddin!

Hello Gus
    Try http://www.heavenlydanceshoes.com/

I've been very disapointed by the quality of Blochs - With the first pair the front sole split in two after 6-7 months. The 2nd pair (which was a free replacement) have now started to disintegrate inside on the heel after 6 months.

Maybe I'm expecting too much, but seeing as they cost almost as much as a pair of leather shoes, I can't see myself buying Blochs again...

Sean

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by tsh
    I've been very disapointed by the quality of Blochs - With the first pair the front sole split in two after 6-7 months. The 2nd pair (which was a free replacement) have now started to disintegrate inside on the heel after 6 months.

Maybe I'm expecting too much, but seeing as they cost almost as much as a pair of leather shoes, I can't see myself buying Blochs again...

Sean

I know what you mean! I also own a pair of Blochs. I've had them for two years but have hardly worn them and they have a small hole where is bends in the middle. Sooo annoying. I won't be buying another pair as don't really like them anyway but will only wear them for practicing aerials etc. (guess I'll be wearing them more often soon then!)

RE:Blocs

Dunno guys - perhaps I've been lucky. my pair have been bulletproof - no matter what I threw at them.

Yup - the split sole was agony when I 1st started wearing them - but I'm sure there is a reason for them.....

Only started weating them again recently - for Lindy - boy, they are tight! Perhaps they shrunk from lack of use....

Martin

Blog Entries

I'm now on my 3rd pair of DRTs. My first, like Sean's, split on the sole after about a year of not particularly frequent use, but I've worn the second pair to death. I'm only replacing them as they stink. (I've even put them through the washing machine treatment several times - this time there's no cure!).

I like my Bloch Slipstreams, too. They're the split-soled jazz shoes. But don't buy them from Kingdom of Dance, as for some reason they're far more expensive from there, than from other suppliers (which is weird, as KoD are normally on a par with most places).

I like Bloch.

Just to complicate matters, I'm flat footed and my right leg is nearly an inch shorter so stability is a bit of an issue (not that I've ever been accused of being overly stable though ).
    I used to wear the 538/539's; one time I forgot them when we did an aerials practice and used street shoes - and it made life so much easier I realised how poor the Bloch's were for stability. Have now switched to Bloch Stealths on Andy Fleming's advice and find them a lot better. They help for aerials, but the biggest benefit is with normal dancing - when your toes don't have to grip the floor for grim death, you are so much less tired by the end of an evening!

There are a couple of the newer Bloch designs that look like they might be good for stability - the Klassik in particular. But I'd be worried how well you can really turn in them.

hiya all, well having ben around the circuit of shoes, (Blocs several generation of split soles) , leather sole Loakes,my choice at the moment is suede sole latin practice, Freed, the canvas weave top are very cool to wear for temperature control and look great. They do a leather version equally good technically, seem a little harder to maintain as they curl up a bit.
    As to the choice its been a long time to settle, the West Coast Swing influence bringing me to this decision as the feel and sensitivity they give is unsurpassed.
    Thanks for listening.

Well I have 4 or 5 pairs of blochs and they have done fine for me. The split sole is purely about allowing the foot to point and curve to create the true "dancers line". The shoes are used by all dancers for one type of dancing or another and so accommodate them rather than purely Jivers.

I prefer Capezio to be honest, of which I also have 3 pairs. Leather and a better fit. Never had any problems with splitting or anything. Have to say when I wear the trainers I dance completely different to when I wear shoes, either Black and Whites (No longer my favourites - does that mean anything any more?) or ballroom shoes (now my favourite). Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? I tend to bounce more in trainers, have Ceroc (tm) spiked them to make them their own? In shoes, my style is more upright, balanced and latin biased.

New shoes are coming out all the time. KOD do have some new products, Sasha or Sansha where the traditional bloch type spin spot sole has been left in place but covered with a felt/furry/suede type layer. I know some people actually use a normal pair of shoes or trainers they feel very comfortable in and have the soles changed for dancing in by sticking suede soles to the bottom, etc.

Dazzle (a split-sole )

For a good shalpe I recommend Freed Pro Latin in Suede every time. Dance trainers can look clumsy on the eye.

up the motorway, turn left, turn left, through the bends.......

Check out www.seksidancewear.com/wip

Site not up and running till Easter but sneakers are available.

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Geordieed
    For a good shalpe I recommend Freed Pro Latin in Suede every time. Dance trainers can look clumsy on the eye.

That's so true. I can't stand them personally. It makes people look heavy on their feet and the shape is disgusting!

Quote Originally Posted by Geordieed
    Exactly what I wear almost all of the time now and especially for Latin ballroom.

I have a pair of Rumpf dance trainers, bought from Kingdom of dance, and they're pretty comfortable. I'm on my second pair - my first pair lasted ages, but I eventually just wore them out. No problems with holes or bits breaking, though.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lou
    I'm only replacing them as they stink. (I've even put them through the washing machine treatment several times - this time there's no cure!).
    Don't throw them away!

Look what I discovered by accident

MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Aye, so there is hope to flog my legendary Blocs to some smelly left footer on E Bay. Hmmmm well its a thought. Not used the split sole ones for about 2 years now and probably never go back to them.
    Meanwhile...........
    Currently running the Freed mens practice latin (approx £65 in shops) in leather bought the canvas weave, a much more pleasing look for £55 on line, but no Freed shoe bag with these.
    I have been converted to the 'cuban heel' of late mainly due to the WCS influences. Technically it is more sympathetic and keeps the body mass forward for good frame.
    The suede sole is great, its certainly increases sensitivity but takes a little getting used to as feet are a bit more prone to fatigue in them.

Hey Gus,

Dance sneaker/pumps I've had are....

Blochs - first pair of dance sneakers...thought they were great until I tried others. They have a tendancy for the toe to raise up after prolonged wearing of them and it makes your feet look the same as an Oompa Loompa's. Poo! Oh yeah and they all have a pre-designated 'spin-spot' that might aswell be on your knee for all the good it does!

Capulet - very similar to jazz shoe's. Very comfortable and easy to dance in due to their composite rubber sole and flatness. ( I don't even know if that's a proper word!)

Capezio TSO1's - excellent shoe's. Look like a pair of Nike Air jobbies and are very comfortable. Good sole and easy to dance in whatever the floor. However due to their level of cushioning, they tend to tire the feet out quite quickly. If you have a pair of these, you might know what I'm banging on about.

Out of all of these, I'd probably stick my neck out and say the Capulet's are the best even though I've worn the Capezio's more . They're not for everybody though due to their lack of presence, (there's not much to them!).

Hope that helps.

James.

p.s. Melanie wore her Blochs about 3 times as, to quote, "They suck big time!" She has now gone back to Capezio's.

p.p.s I tend to dance in Werner Kerns now...they are the daddies! Oh yeah baby!

A connected topic with the shoes thing is what to wear with the footwear. I wear jeans with a flare alot but is a bit too casual sometimes. The weight of the material keeps it around the ankles which takes away the ugly line that can come from the ankles. It then keeps pretty feet.

It defeats the object of having great shoes like the Freeds if trousers a worn that narrow down like suit/office trousers.

Does any one have suggestions of where to find good trousers hopefully with no turn up that have an understaded flare.

Thread Information