Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Experts' taking part in the Beginner's Refresher Class

An Eclectic Toaster

'Experts' taking part in the Beginner's Refresher Class

[rant]
    Well, last night was the first time I've nearly lost it when doing the refresher class. The group of 11 beginners I was taxiing for included 4 first-nighters (3 of them men) and one expert male dancer of several years experience. Said expert stood beside me in the row, leaving the beginners at the end where they would struggle to hear me (side note for those not aware of the venue situation: JJ's is not ideal for running the refresher class as we share the room with the intermediates, and so have to compete with the teacher on the mike and the music).
    Anyway, he made a good job of hiding his abilities (not deliberately, he just didn't come across clearly!) whilst he peppered me constantly with questions about "what foot does the lady go back on", "surely we spin this way" and such like.

I buttonholed him afterwards, when someone pointed out that he was actually an experienced dancer who'd been around for years. He seemed to think he hadn't done anything wrong, and offered a few opinions about how we should be teaching footwork.

Point is, it's great when experienced dancers help out in the refresher class, but:

a) preferably they should ask whether they are needed first, and only take part if there is a bad numerical imbalance.

b) they should clearly identify their level - taxis don't remember every good dancer's face. As ever, at the start I'd asked everyone how many times they'd been, and he didn't say anything.

Otherwise, they just look like they're indulging in a cheap point-scoring exercise over a taxi dancer, which suggests a very fragile ego IMO .
    [/rant]

PS to my fellow taxi Clare for helping out with those beginner guys afterwards, and to all those beginners last night who had to endure the refresher class!

Blog Entries

Re: 'Experts' taking part in the Beginner's Refresher Class

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M
    [rant]whilst he peppered me constantly with questions about "what foot does the lady go back on",
    He sounds really evil.

Do you have his phone number?

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Lou
    Do you have his phone number?
    Na - Stewart38 or CJ might though

[rant]

I buttonholed him afterwards He offered a few opinions about how we should be teaching footwork.
    Only buttonholed him ? I should think he'd have deserved a 'Glasgow Kiss' at least!!!!

As for teaching footwork- I always thought that Ceroc did not teach footwork

And anyway, I thought it was the teacher's job to 'teach' the class, the taxi dancer only 'revises 'what the teacher has already taught!!

Seriously, I applaud your self control in dealing with this ar$6h01e.
    But then, you were always a gentleman Stuart

Heather,
    xx

a) preferably they should ask whether they are needed first, and only take part if there is a bad numerical imbalance.

b) they should clearly identify their level - taxis don't remember every good dancer's face. As ever, at the start I'd asked everyone how many times they'd been, and he didn't say anything.
    Well done for the self control
    I would agree that it can sometimes be a help to have some extra advanced dancers in the class- but they do need to identify themselves, ask if it's ok to join, and LET THE TEACHER TEACH. Or the taxi taxi.

Commercial Operator

[rant]...
    That's Leroc for you!!

Well done for keeping your cool
    I don't think I've ever seen you annoyed before!

I was surprised to see him in your revision class, but assumed he was making up numbers (although, we were balanced for the first time in AGES on Tuesday...)
    It would have been courteous to let you know his level of dancing.
    It's a shame the new guys didn't get as much help as they could have because of his questions.

FWIW I think the guy who was really struggling will come back after you spent some time with him after the class.

Little Miss Jazz Shoes Jazz_Shoes (Ash)'s Avatar

Oh dearie me, that's terrible!!! What I don't get is- if he's an experienced dancer why is he asking you what foot to step back on? Was he trying to test you, or catch you out or something?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
    Oh dearie me, that's terrible!!! What I don't get is- if he's an experienced dancer why is he asking you what foot to step back on? Was he trying to test you, or catch you out or something?
    There should be a Cull en such behaviour!!

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceroc Jock
    There should be a Cull en such behaviour!!

Aha, I've got it. It's [Scooby Doo orchestral sting]du-du-dah[/Scooby Doo orchestral sting] - sabotage! The JJ's taxis are so good, other franchises are now sending in secret agents to wreck our refresher classes!

And old Mr. Twiddly would have gotten away with it too, it weren't for them pesky kids Shaggy Jock and Ash

Point is, it's great when experienced dancers help out in the refresher class, but:

I've helped out in a beginner's class but that's only because there wasn't a male taxi. I asked the taxi who was on if she wanted the help first and she agreed. I'd be happy to do it again as well (there was another night where I was about to but the numbers balanced so I didn't).

Anyway as I wasn't an official taxi I just shut my pie-hole (mostly) and allowed the taxi to get on with it.

Apart from that I'm not sure why I'd want to do a refresher's class if they don't need me. I suppose if I went along with someone new I might go to that class with them to keep them company if they wanted me to. Even still it would seem very rude for me to then throw in lots of questions. That just sounds like he was trying to throw you.

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime
    Even still it would seem very rude for me to then throw in lots of questions. That just sounds like he was trying to throw you.
    Or trying to look clever/wise/skilled/whatever.

Last time I helped out during the revision class the taxi dancer took the opportunity to tell me all the things that were wrong with my dancing.

It was a while ago, but I don't think I'll volunteer again in a hurry, just in case...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Revision class experts are a pain in the ar$e.

FWIW I don't think footwork is a word you should ever use in bring into a beginners revision class. It tends to have them running scared.

Banish him from the class, give him 50 lashes and tell him he's not welcome anymore...salsa can have 'im!

JB.

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    Last time I helped out during the revision class the taxi dancer took the opportunity to tell me all the things that were wrong with my dancing.
    That's not a good thing

It is not unlikely that some intermediate dancers might benefit from a reminder of basics from time to time though, especially where the review class focuses more on technique than the main class.

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime
    Apart from that I'm not sure why I'd want to do a refresher's class if they don't need me. ...
    Well, Claire was taxing with him...

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    Well, Claire was taxing with him...
    It was the 'expert' who was taxing (sic) my patience, Gadget, not Claire.

I'd say 'taxi for Gadget' but, y'know...he does do it deliberately, doesn't he?

It was the 'expert' who was taxing (sic) my patience, Gadget, not Claire.
    I think he was suggesting you'd want to do the class to get to spend some time with the fab Claire. He has a point .

Na - Stewart38 or CJ might though

i was going to rep you then as thought what a good thread ,ah well

Ive only ever helped out if ive been asked ,always when there was a very big imbalance

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

[rant]...[/rant]
    Was he interrupting the flow of the class?

It's hard to handle this without causing offence, but remember you're wearing the T-shirt, the uniform and you have everybody's goodwill - not him. So you can ask him, out loud in front of everyone, how long he's been dancing, does he have anything he wants to tell the class about how they should be doing things? (You can say, literally "You're an experienced dancer, sir - why don't you answer your own question - for everyone's benefit?"). Maybe ask him to demonstrate his technique in front of everyone. Basically, give him enough rope to hang himself by. It's vital that you don't engage with him - you have suddenly to become one of *his* students, *not* accept him as your equal. Eventually the class will realise that he's wasting their time by stopping you from conducting the workshop that they've come for, and the atmosphere will change so that he can't wait to shut up.

Then (very important) you have to issue the coup-de-grace: force him to open his mouth and address the class one more time - maybe ask for his explicit approval - out loud - that something you've told the class is correct. Ask him to demo something for you. Whatever.

If you can manage that, you won't see him again in your taxi-class.
    Last edited by El Salsero Gringo; 7th-April-2006 at 04:42 PM.

Thread Information