Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dance Etiquette

Donna

Re: Dance Etiquette

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    TT and Lory have both mentioned what I think is a key point here - it makes a difference if its someone you know.

If its someone I know well and would want to dance with to a more 'interesting' track and its a really poppy tune then I would say 'lets dance to another track later' and either go and dance with someone who likes faster pop stuff, or go and chat to someone. But only if its someone I know really well and we both know the style of music we enjoy dancing to together.
    I agree. I'm the same. I'm afraid that I might have offended someone I don't know if I was to refuse a dance with them for some reason but if it's someone who knows me well then I'd feel ok doing it as I'd always find them during a good danceable track.

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel
    i will dance almost andy dance unless i am really knackered or the song is undancable and i will find the person asap!
    Ah, but what you find "undancable" somebody else may love! Surely this is a case of a song you don't like, or at least, don't like to dance to, in which case, if you won't dance to an "undancable" track, and somebody asks you to dance, what do you do?

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours
    Ah, but what you find "undancable" somebody else may love! Surely this is a case of a song you don't like, or at least, don't like to dance to, in which case, if you won't dance to an "undancable" track, and somebody asks you to dance, what do you do?
    Knowing me, probably still dance!

Situation: An advanced female dancer asks me to dance.(I consider myself an intermediate dancer). The track is extremely fast. I do not feel comfortable with that speed of dancing.(I did not want to embarrass myself or give her a poor dance.)

I declined the dance but told her that when a slower track is played I would love to dance with her. The rest of the evening I watched for an opportunity but this person being an excellent popular dancer was occupied the rest of the time.

I hope to see and get an opportunity to ask her at a future dance and hope she holds no grudges.

Please comment on my handling of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by ToothFairy View Post
    It sounds to me like you were being reasonable. You declined the dance for a genuine reason and offered a dance later on. I see nothing wrong in that. The fact that you didn't end up getting that dance later on is just bad luck.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very difficult to say - these things are so subjective.

As has been said on this thread, if you know someone well enough, they're less likely to be offended by your refusal. If they're a stranger, they're more likely to take offence.

I don't see a problem with your handling of the situation. Personally speaking, I would have accepted the dance. If someone asks me to dance to a track that's faster than I like then usually I will accept but give them a warning that they are likely to get a pretty poor dance since fast music is neither my preferred style nor something I can dance well to. This scenario seems to happen a lot when Jon Brett is DJing at Hipsters for some reason

I've not posted much, only really read stuff up 'tll now but at the recent dance weekend at Southport I talked to many women who were also upset by men turning them down for a dance on the flimsiest of reasons and they were rude and snooty so I just had to say something. They talked of giving up dancing 'cos it's making them depressed. After all, we only want three minutes of your time, guys, not your babies or your pension.

Thank you all for your comments. They were both comforting and constructive!

Thread Information