Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly Dance Fever - Series II

Strictly Dance Fever - Series II

Hi folks!

Well that time is upon us once more!...time for SDF again

The show will again be hosted by Graham Norton, but the back up show (Strictly Dance Fever on Three) will be fronted by June Sarpong.

Here's the first schedule then, to get things going...

Code:
    SDF The Show, Sat 1st Apr, BBC1, 19:00 - 20:05
    SDF on Three, Sat 1st Apr, BBC3, 20:05 - 20:50
    SDF Results,  Sat 1st Apr, BBC1, 21:30 - 22:00
    Enjoy!

Re: Strictly Dance Fever - Series II

Hurrah! What have I been doing all these weeks..........

Any MJ peeps in there this time?

Elaine

Stevie Wong and Donna got through to the second round again

A local* salsa teacher got through most of the way, did the workshops in London etc, but not to the final group for the show itself. He did however get offered a years scholarship for a dance college in London.

*As in lived and taught in Belfast, not actually from here!

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Will

Thanks will! I'm dreading it being shown though reason being I simply don't trust the production team! Everything that is on that tape they can easily mix it all up and then make it seem like something it wasn't, just to make you look a complete ass! Of course, they won't care because they just want to make good TV at the end of the day and make sure that the viewers increase every week. The public just LOVE watching people get slated on national TV!

The problem is, when you're there you meet loads of nice people and the production team make you feel comfortable, so much, you tend to forget the cameras are there and THATS when you might end up saying something that you wish you hadn't or done something! You have to be so careful and try not to let your self go to much to give them something to use and make you look an idiot. E.G... Graham Norton recognised us from last year and when asked by one of the crew how we think we've improved and what the possibilities of us getting further than last year are, (awkward questions!!!! ) to which I replied, 'Last years auditions encouraged us to try out many other styles of dancing and we feel more confident this time! So HOPEFULLY (a word which everybody uses when asked this question ) we'll get further but we'll see. Then Steve says, ' Yeah! I'm the Darius of SDF!!!!! Aaaahhhhh!

However they did change the rules this time as last year we got through two auditions and got through to the workshops. We learnt Salsa with Joseph Koniak (who has done choreography for people like Britney Spears, Kylie Minogue and Justin Timberlake etc etc and is titled 'The Salsa King'. He's also a famous hairdresser) Then we learnt Hip Hop with Kevin who again has worked with the top stars, and Ballroom Jive with Vanessa... who was a bit scary at first but she was in fact alright!

This year, we got through to the second audition, which meant having to dance in front of Arlene Phillips, Wayne Sleep, Stacy Haines and Ben Richards. yikes! After a long agonising wait in a long thin corridor waiting for our results (think the 70 year old bloke who went in before us must have telling them his whole life story!!! But I'll come back to that in a mo) Eventually! Graham opened the door led us in front of the panel, and they gave Steve such a hard time!!!! It wasn't constructive criticism at all and what they said would be enough to put people off for life! It's not fair and shouldn't be allowed! But what do they care, so long as it makes good TV and they're getting paid ridiculous amounts of money for it, why should they care about hurting peoples feelings??!!!

Going back to the 70 year old man....(this shows just how cruel they are) the production team put him through the first one and I thought wow he must be good at something... but, when I asked him how long he has danced for, he replied, 'Oh I've never danced before!' The poor guy!!! Basically he thought that it was like Strictly Come Dancing when none experienced dancers are taught by pros and have to perform live on TV! He also explained this to the panel in his 1st audition and they still insisted on putting him through!!!! HOW EEEEVVVILLLL!!!

Anyway it was still a good experience, a good weekend and met loads of nice people. Not sure Steve wants to do it next year though (if there is one) but I think I might want to have another crack at it.
    Last edited by Donna; 28th-March-2006 at 11:39 AM.

Good account Donna, thanks for posting it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    Going back to the 70 year old man....(this shows just how cruel they are) the production team put him through the first one and I thought wow he must be good at something... but, when I asked him how long he has danced for, he replied, 'Oh I've never danced before!' The poor guy!!! Basically he thought that it was like Strictly Come Dancing when none experienced dancers are taught by pros and have to perform live on TV! He also explained this to the panel in his 1st audition and they still insisted on putting him through!!!! HOW EEEEVVVILLLL!!!
    When they were promoting the auditions for this series, Graham Norton was saying "You don't have to have had training, you don't need to have danced before; we want you to enter and have a go". When it was blatantly clear that the truth was "we want people who don't dance to enter so we can take the p*ss out of them".

I'm actually torn whether I'm going to watch this series - I want to see the dancers, but the program is so small-spirited and built on putting people down that it really puts me off.

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin
    Good account Donna, thanks for posting it!
    When they were promoting the auditions for this series, Graham Norton was saying "You don't have to have had training, you don't need to have danced before; we want you to enter and have a go". When it was blatantly clear that the truth was "we want people who don't dance to enter so we can take the p*ss out of them".

I'm actually torn whether I'm going to watch this series - I want to see the dancers, but the program is so small-spirited and built on putting people down that it really puts me off.
    It's very clear that for this sort of audition, you DO have to have some sort of dance experience and even then, some of those are bound to have the p*ss taken out of them let alone those who have no experience what so ever! To say you don't have to be experienced is bang out of order and of course it's just so people can laugh at them.

It's the same with any of these talent programmes though.. look at pop idol! I entered it in 2001 and as I read the form, it says you don't have to be an experienced singer and that anybody could just go along and give it a go. It was quite funny though when we were waiting outside the audition rooms as behind the wall, it sounded more like a farm!!! Dreadful! I got through two auditions on that too and it was tough even up to that point! Of course it's pretty obvious that the only ones who are going to succeed in any of the these talent shows, are those who have got years of experience under their belts. Unfortunately, you can't stop those who think they are good. It's almost like an illness for one to start singing, and in their head they sound good, but on the outside, sound more like a strangled cat! Same with dancing. You get those who feel good and are told by very few people (who most probably haven't got a clue anyway!) that they are good and of course, it all goes to their head! Such a shame....

Donna,

Thankyou for that very interesting and very enlightening account.

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Gojive
    Donna,

Thankyou for that very interesting and very enlightening account.

You're very welcome!

Donna

So, how many of you are going to be watching it this year?

Me me me me me!

( I haven't missed a single Saturday show in any of the SCD or SDF series so far. In addition, I've only missed one of the 'behind the scenes' programmes over all the shows )

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Gojive
    Me me me me me!

( I haven't missed a single Saturday show in any of the SCD or SDF series so far. In addition, I've only missed one of the 'behind the scenes' programmes over all the shows )
    Talking of behind the scenes... I was told that they weren't going to do it this year. Last year it was on BBC 3 (which we appeared on BBC 3 a few times, but, I didn't have BBC 3 then.. was always getting told my dance mates.....but I have it now though! ) They only show so much on BBC 1 and we made a quick appearance on it but BBC 3 is better because otherwise a majority of the viewers wouldn't understand exactly how it worked before the live auditions.

I will, when I'm around. I suppose it depends who's in it too. Last year I knew / had danced with two of the couples and a friend knew one of the other couples well, so I had a sense of involvement.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

If you and Steve arent on it I dont think Ill bother

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm King
    I will, when I'm around. I suppose it depends who's in it too. Last year I knew / had danced with two of the couples and a friend knew one of the other couples well, so I had a sense of involvement.

I suppose those who are really interested in this programme are those who enjoy dancing and those who are supporting others who are auditioning. Two girls we got on well with there got through to the workshops in London, one of them being from Liverpool. I don't know if she got any further than that and we bumped into her at the train station after but didn't exchange contacts or anything so will have to watch and find out. In a way, I'm looking forward to it (only to nick some more HOT moves.

Should anybody want to go to it:

Strictly Dance Fever BBC1

Strictly Dance Fever BBC3

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    If you and Steve arent on it I dont think Ill bother

Awww bless...

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart

I'd like to go to one....but Graham would easily recognise us and I'm scared he might approach us!! (Even though we got on well with him there. He's really nice!) you never know what he might say or do when live! I just wouldn't be able to trust him!

Quote Originally Posted by Will
    I kind of wish we hadn't got through just the first round as we didn't learn anything.

It wasn't like last year when we actually learnt loads of interesting stuff at the workshop on the second day.

I just got slagged off.

The problem is that leroc is really a freestyle dance. The ingenuity of it is fitting moves to music that you don't know that well. Therefore, because there are no reciprocal steps, it will ever look as good as say lindy, salsa or ballroom ie where there is a kind of mirroring. When you choreograph modern jive it will tend to look static for men because you will cut out a lot of men's steps so that the man is a kind of whiteboard for the woman to paint a picture. And as Bruce Lee said in Enter the Dragon " Boards don't fight back".
    It is this lack of moevement that makes the man look poor and if you put a modern jive couple against a swing couple (whether lindy or ballroom jive) then the man would have to work very hard in his choreography to get past these judges.

After the unpleasantness of the experience, which was very upsetting, I was talking to one of the people who had been in the house and he told me not to worry. As I recall, he said that the judges had no idea of real partner dancing and, lead and follow.They were into choreography. He told me not to worry about the criticism but it doesn't matter what people say, words have incredibly destructive power.

For me, God spoke the world into being. Jesus spoke words of healing.

But these judges can speak a dance career into destruction.

By the way I saw Howard in the second round.

As someone who saw his enthusiasm in Cricklewood, when he was a near beginner, I was really proud of him.

Thread Information