Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cash card fraud

cash card fraud

I am distraught at the moment!

Here is my story:-

I went to the cashpoint this morning and deposited a cheque. All was ok but it did not give me a receipt. This woman then came up to me and said the ATM was faulty and had taken her card. I tried to withdraw cash but it just returned my card. This was the Abbey National North Finchley. I then went to the Nationwide to try and get some cash there but to no avail.

Tonight i went to the Abbey again and this woman said she couldnt get any money out and suspected a problem. This man then put his card into the machine and it was not returned. I tried the Halifax in North Finchley but still could obtain no cash.

I went over to the Nationwide and this woman was crying her eyes out saying she had no money in her account. I thought she was little mad so walked away.

Sod this i thought I will try the Abbey in Finchley Central. I put my card into the ATM and it was taken from me. I rang the number on the ATM and they said my account is under investigation. Fraud then called me to explain. Seem there are these b'stards that drain your account of everything using a card reader. Chip and pin seem to have made things worse. I had just taken a loan out to and deposited my bonus from my boss. All Gone The gang went on a spending spree in Barnet and Stanmore.

If you need cash DONT use the outside cashpoint machines. USE the ones inside the bank or get cashback from the shops.

Sorry if this makes little sense only i am crying my eyes out whilst writing this.

Dawn x

up the motorway, turn left, turn left, through the bends.......

Re: cash card fraud

So sorry to hear about what happened. I hope the bank investigates & returns your money.

There are some right thieving b@st@rds around.
    If I can help in anyway give me a call

Will give you my new mobile number next week

Planet Wacko (a now motorised world of my own):)

as whitty said there are some right bast**ds about, they don't stop and think what it does to the person on the street just themselves

Hope you get it back, trouble is the banks will take their time and in the mean time you are skint

Boss has just had to loan me some money so i can top up my daughters Oyster card for school. Think i will go back to keeping my money in my house.

Quote Originally Posted by Missy D
    I had just taken a loan out to and deposited my bonus from my boss. All Gone The gang went on a spending spree in Barnet and Stanmore.
    What a nightmare for you!

At least the Fraud bunch phoned you and were on the case before you notified them. Hopefully this means that you will get your money returned to you.

Nasty stuff! Let us know how it goes

The Forum Legend

It's probably pretty likely that you'll get your money back....

I'll keep my fingers crossed though!

It's really, really important that you should check any external ATM machine you see for anything untoward. Try to use ones that you are familiar with, then tampering will be easier to spot.

The con gangs have been known to mock up the entire front panel of an ATM; that way, you put your card in, you get money out, the screen reads exactly what you expect it to read, and you go away without any suspicions. In the meantime, the strip reader on their panel has read your card, and the camera (so easy to get nowadays, they're just scavenged from a mobile phone), mounted where you can't see the pinhole, has recorded your number.

IF YOU ARE IN ANY DOUBT AT ALL, put the number in with your good hand (left/right) and hold the other one above it. The camera won't see your number and the card data they have stripped will be much less useful to them.

It is safest also not to engage in any conversation with anyone near an ATM; just walk away and go to another one. The gangs have very sophisticated methods of distracting your attention to try one or other way of conning you.

On the other hand (pace Nick Ross) don't forget there are tens of thousands of ATM machines, and only a handful of people going to all the effort of scamming card users.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov
    It's really, really important that you should check any external ATM machine you see for anything untoward. Try to use ones that you are familiar with, then tampering will be easier to spot.

The con gangs have been known to mock up the entire front panel of an ATM; that way, you put your card in, you get money out, the screen reads exactly what you expect it to read, and you go away without any suspicions. In the meantime, the strip reader on their panel has read your card, and the camera (so easy to get nowadays, they're just scavenged from a mobile phone), mounted where you can't see the pinhole, has recorded your number.

IF YOU ARE IN ANY DOUBT AT ALL, put the number in with your good hand (left/right) and hold the other one above it. The camera won't see your number and the card data they have stripped will be much less useful to them.

It is safest also not to engage in any conversation with anyone near an ATM; just walk away and go to another one. The gangs have very sophisticated methods of distracting your attention to try one or other way of conning you.

On the other hand (pace Nick Ross) don't forget there are tens of thousands of ATM machines, and only a handful of people going to all the effort of scamming card users.

I always check the ATM machines. I even run my finger along the card slot and push my library card in just incase there is something inside. Didnt know about the camera.

Thank you for all the above advice! Whilst it comes a little late for me i hope that others will take note.

dx

Hi Missy D

Just like to send you a few 's.

This sort of thing is really terrible, i know of a few people it has happened to in the past. I'm always using cash points and it does worry me if it would ever happend me. My thoughts are with you

Big hug for you Dawn

I had a savings account cleared out many years ago. My pass book was sent to the wrong address and was used by someone who tried to forge my signature.

I was about to go on holiday the next day and went to get cash, it was a terrible shock to find the whole account (several thousand pounds) had been completely cleared. Worse still was the way initially the bank manager called me in and treated me as a possible suspect! I felt a lot better after a day or so when they had ruled me out of their investigations. Within 10 days they gave me all the money back. It was their cashier's mistake for accepting a completely wrong signature.

I would hope as this incident isn't your fault you will be compensated as quickly as I was.

Alison

I am quite fortunate as I organise a weekly 5 a side football game and use the money I collect there as my petty cash fund meaning I rarely need to visit a cashpoint. When I do go to one I always try and go to one inside a branch of my bank knowing this will be much harder to tamper with. I never, ever use one that's not affiliated to my bank or to the Sainsburys near me. I know these machines can be tampered with as well (as per Missy D's example) but they seem much less dodgy than some of those standalone cash machines you see around.

Nowhere near as serious as Missy but I did have problems earlier this year when I tried to pay £3k or so via WorldPay and the bank thought this was a fraudulent transaction and stopped my debit card (the only one I use - no credit cards) with immediate effect without telling me why. I had to go into the branch to find out what they had done. Grrrr..........

Robert

There was a TV show recently that showed one of these false fronts, and anybody could be forgiven for being taken in by it.

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by thewacko
    as whitty said there are some right bast**ds about, they don't stop and think what it does to the person on the street just themselves

Hope you get it back, trouble is the banks will take their time and in the mean time you are skint

Not always, I was the victim of something similar a few years ago now, I reported it to the police, gave the crime number to my bank, and all the money that had been taken from my account was re-credited within a few days. Then when the b**t**d got caught (my ex-boyfriend) and ordered by the courts to pay me compensation, I got to keep all of that too! Would still rather not have been through it though, hope things work out OK for you to Dawn.

Big hugs to you Dawn

I had a similar experience a couple of months ago where someone had managed to get hold of my card details and pin number and was using it in supermarkets around London to take large sums of money. Luckily, the Fraud section of the Bank copped it early enough and put a stop on my account until they spoke to me to find out what was going on. It could have been a lot worse and didn't lose that much money.

There is no getting away from the fact that card cloning has been one of the fastest growing crimes of the last few years and is going from strength to strength with the new chip and pin system. Being aware of who is watching when you use your card is essential and covering up your hand when you put in your pin number is only one way of preventing.

Thank you all for your advice, hugs etc

Just got back from police station (gosh what a handsome chap he was too). They are investigating so many at the moment. Had to fill in a form and now have a crime reference number.

I then had to go to the bank to view all transactions that have taken place over the last month on my bank account. The card was more than likely cloned at Tescos Finchley Central. There have been 20 cases this year from that cashpoint alone My advice to you all is to NOT use the ATM machines joined to supermarkets. The bank ones are safer (but not completely tampered free. Only the ones inside the banks are safe (for now). My card was used at Barclays ATM and many TRVX machines these are the machines you find in shops, service stations etc that charged you £1.75 per transaction. NEVER use them. Seems they took just over £4,000 but i will get it back within a few weeks

I think i have learnt my lesson the hard way. But, i will be more away of my withdrawals in the future.

What a total shock and hassel for you, but I'm glad to hear that you will hopefully get your money back. Hope the rest of your week goes a bit better for you . . .

Commercial Operator

You have my total sympathy. Our bank account had over £2,000 taken out over the festive period. Seems like the card was skimmed and cloned. It was a pin & chip card, however P&C was not fully activated until Feb 14th. Most of the withdrawals were for mobile phone top ups. Mobile phone companies are apparently quite bad for not checking signatures & identities. It seems that there are some unscrupulous people working in shops, restaurants etc, that have a special device that can be easily concealed, and they simply swipe your card with it, and it steals all your details.they then clone your card, and can withdraw money from your account. Most banks will not take any action to catch fraudsters, unless the amount involved exceeds £3,000, so the theives usually stop using the card before it reaches that level. I rarely use my switch card now, and withdraw money over the counter at the bank now. If I do use my card, I don't allow it out of my sight, and if the pemises has a machine that allows me to insert the card myself, then i do so, and don't hand it over to the assistant.Fortunately, the bank reimbursed our money quite quickly. I hope you are as fortunate as we were

Measuring up patio to see if neighbour will fit under it

Quote Originally Posted by Missy D
    Thank you all for your advice, hugs etc

Just got back from police station (gosh what a handsome chap he was too). They are investigating so many at the moment. Had to fill in a form and now have a crime reference number.

I think i have learnt my lesson the hard way. But, i will be more away of my withdrawals in the future.

Glad to see it's not dented your sense of homour sis

Hope you get it all back asap

Hi sweetheart...

just found this thread and my heart goes out to you,:

I hardly ever use the machines and try and use cash most of the time... yeah, I know its old fashioned, and still a bit risky... but in some ways it is easier for me. (Paranoid, methinks).. Guess, its only Tesco and the Garage, that gets to see my bank card (and I only have one of those).

Hope it all gets sorted ASAP and if you need anything, just ask xxxx

Jan

Thread Information