View Poll Results: Is there any point to the 'essentials'?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 56.25%
  • No

14 43.75%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ceroc Essentials...

Commercial Operator

Re: Ceroc Essentials...

But it's still 16 months til the ban comes into force so we still have to fight scirmishes to erradicate pockets of resistance.

As for Essentials - did it once at my on Ceroc class & it was harmless enough.

Graeme puts us through something a bit tought at Lindy classes by way of a warm up. At first it's really confusing - lots of seemingly complex steps - Rubber Legs, Tick Tock, Boogie Forward, Boogie Backward (which I still struggle with), gradually they make sense so when they're thrown into the routines they don't come as a complete surprise. Interestingly a large number of people seem to time their arrival for the end of the warm up.

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clevedonboy
    But it's still 16 months til the ban comes into force so we still have to fight scirmishes to erradicate pockets of resistance.
    Not up here
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    As for the essentials. I liked them at first as it got people onto the floor, but I think its more of an ice breaker than anything else. So if its your first week, its probably a good thing. But for those who have been coming several weeks, I could see people wanting to give it a miss.
    I detest Ceroc Essentials but i teach them cuz we "have" to, altho if someone could clear this up for me it would be great (altho having been on the teahcing course and spending an hour learning how to "teach" the essentials i think its a must)

My class (as lynn knows) tend to huddle at the back of the room and look sheepish while i am trying to get everyone involved. To be honest i sometimes feel like saying " you think like you look like a prat, trying being on stage and doing it!!!" I think it was introduced just to make us teachers look silly!

I agree with Trampy you have to go over the ceroc essential stuff ie the step back the hand hold etc again anyway so why warm up to stand still for 3-5 mins whiles its done again (7 or so minutes for the extra ladies)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisU
    Its easy and puts begineers at ease and gets some people into BEAT.
    Or makes the feel stupid and they ignore the beat anyway (either cuz they are nervous or dont realise they are on the wrong beat)

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel
    Or makes the feel stupid and they ignore the beat anyway (either cuz they are nervous or dont realise they are on the wrong beat)
    Ahh, the Ceroc essentials is about identifying the right beat. So it's not aerobics, it's about music. Why didn't somebody say? - hangs up his legwarmers in shame

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    Why didn't somebody say? - hangs up his legwarmers in shame
    Keep them out, i wanna see this!!!

My class (as lynn knows) tend to huddle at the back of the room and look sheepish while i am trying to get everyone involved.
    That's true! They do leave rather a large gap, but are happy enough to move forward once the essentials bit is over and the rest of the class starts. I think because you have to stand in lines facing front and if there is someone behind you, you worry they are watching how you are doing it - so everyone wants to be in the back row...

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp
    So. Do people think that the ceroc essentials are a good thing?

From my point of view, I don't like them. I have never done any 'solo' dancing, so feel uncomfortable doing that - especially on the stage. So, when I cover teach, I don't do them. I've never had anyone tell me that they miss them, I've had several people tell me that they are happy not doing them when I teach.

From a learning point of view, I don't see any point in them. Anything I want to cover when doing essentials - like weight transference etc. - I can cover when actually teaching the class.

From a 'warm-up' point of view, I also don't see any point. A couple of minutes 'warm-up', followed by then standing around for 5 mins while you teach the basics, renders them rather a waste of time as a warm-up.

It seems to me now, that a lot of people turn up late, in order to miss doing the essentials. I know that intermediates never turn up on time, but these days, it seems that we start with very few people at the beginning of the class, and end up with many more by the end of the beginners class. More so than we used to have.

Anyhow, what do you all think?
    So what exactly does "ceroc essentials" involve? and how does it fit in with the beginner class? There seems to be a lot of mention of warming up then standing around for a while- why does that happen? Is that when the beginner routine is shown before being taught? And could that part be done before "warming up" with ceroc essentials?

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Alice
    So what exactly does "ceroc essentials" involve? and how does it fit in with the beginner class? There seems to be a lot of mention of warming up then standing around for a while- why does that happen? Is that when the beginner routine is shown before being taught? And could that part be done before "warming up" with ceroc essentials?
    It's supposed to be an ice-breaker I guess. Nothing is particularly taught that couldn't be taught in the normal class. Different people teach different things, the people I see most often: one does it as something quite like a line-dancing class with a bit of practise doing "in and outs" then; one does a bit of a step back, with then some spinning practise, but without explaining exactly how to spin; another does some weight transferance.

It's definitely NOT a warm-up. At least, it may be, but since you then just stand around after for long enough to cool down, it's rather pointless, if that is the idea.

I guess that maybe it's supposed to help put people at ease, which it might do in some cases. It wouldn't have done anything like that for me. I also think that it's a bit of a waste of time. The time it takes, you'd get the class done earlier, and probably have a couple of tracks extra in freestyle.

To be honest, I think that as many people are put off/don't enjoy it, as who do and find it helps. Certainly, most intermediates seem to aim to miss doing them. I don't particularly see any point to them myself.

From talking to teachers, I'd say that it's probably split somewhere down the middle on what the teachers think about it as well. And some (myself included) definitely feel uncomfortable doing them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp
    It's supposed to be an ice-breaker I guess. Nothing is particularly taught that couldn't be taught in the normal class. Different people teach different things, the people I see most often: one does it as something quite like a line-dancing class with a bit of practise doing "in and outs" then; one does a bit of a step back, with then some spinning practise, but without explaining exactly how to spin; another does some weight transferance.

It's definitely NOT a warm-up. At least, it may be, but since you then just stand around after for long enough to cool down, it's rather pointless, if that is the idea.

I guess that maybe it's supposed to help put people at ease, which it might do in some cases. It wouldn't have done anything like that for me. I also think that it's a bit of a waste of time. The time it takes, you'd get the class done earlier, and probably have a couple of tracks extra in freestyle.

To be honest, I think that as many people are put off/don't enjoy it, as who do and find it helps. Certainly, most intermediates seem to aim to miss doing them. I don't particularly see any point to them myself.

From talking to teachers, I'd say that it's probably split somewhere down the middle on what the teachers think about it as well. And some (myself included) definitely feel uncomfortable doing them.
    In that case, I would have thought it would be easier to do all that within the class as it comes up- ie a short explanation of how to spin before learning a lady spin. Or do it in the consolidation class- I still think it's important to cover this stuff but it's probably more useful for the earlier beginners (depending on what's covered).

We often start the intermediate class with a bit of step footwork practice- as we have different footwork in beginners (whether beginner footwork itself is a total waste of time is another question!).
    However, I believe that one of our venues that a special beginners' venue does incorporate extra spinning practice etc which is done separately to the actual class....

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    I think because you have to stand in lines facing front and if there is someone behind you, you worry they are watching how you are doing it - so everyone wants to be in the back row...
    Several line dances incorporate a quarter turn: "Macarena", "Saturday Night", and (if I remember right) the "Jitterbug Stroll". I guess it's for just that reason. You could do something similar with the Essentials.

Commercial Operator

I've only seen Ceroc essentials 4 times. Each time the teacher had the attitude "let's get these over with so I can get on with the lesson". I can think of 2 reasons why they have Ceroc Essentials and they're nothing to do with the content.

1. They differentiate Ceroc as the competition don't do them.

2. They keep people busy while other people are arriving and paying.

Other than that, I saw nothing that couldn't have been taught in the actual lesson - or left out completely!

Commercial Operator

Now that I've voted in the poll I've seen the results. How come nobody has posted the "point" of Ceroc Essentials but 10 people voted that they have a point - what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe
    Not up here

WE'RE officially smoke free up here in Scotland as from yesterday - 26th March!

Heather

Now that I've voted in the poll I've seen the results. How come nobody has posted the "point" of Ceroc Essentials but 10 people voted that they have a point - what is it?
    For what it's worth, I voted for them, and this is what I posted in support of them.

The question is "do they have a point?" Even if the point is lost on many folks, doesn't mean they're pointless.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

There may be a legal and PR issues. It is generally recommended that one should warm up before exercise - They could be "essential" as a potential defence against allegations of unprofessionalism. Ashas been said, by Trampy and others, I believe the structure of the beginners class fills that function.

If that argument is going to be used, it logically follows that late-comers should be warned that they risk injuring themselves if they do not warm-up.

The only people that do not realise that they are optional are absolute beginners. For me the argument should be "What is the beginner retention rate with / without essentials?" This is a question that the Ceroc Database should be able to answer. Alas, it does not record the all of the relevant details.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clevedonboy
    oh no it isnt - full ban in place Im might occasionally go into pubs now.

As always, it depends on the teacher.... I think there is some value in starting a class with an exersise which involves moving the feet - but even in the essentials, some teachers seem to like encouraging the beginners to see how far they can stretch their hand out behind them as they step back.

A non-partnered warm up (think line dancing) seems to work, but that's not what 'essentials' seems to be...

Sean

1. They differentiate Ceroc as the competition don't do them
    Salsa classes in NI (that i have been to) have something similar! So point null and void!

I wonder what other franchise owners make of the essentials? Do you make your teachers do them?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Salsa classes in NI (that i have been to) have something similar! So point null and void!
    No it isnt - Salsa is not Modern Jive

Thread Information