• Keith & Orville

2 6.06%
  • Other non-finalists...

6 18.18%
  • I wasn't there, but I like to vote on Polls

4 12.12%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Now you can judge Blackpool

..J & S did win a comp. - SouthWest Challenge ..(not Sherif's but local to SWales/ Bristol..

Graham

Whoops, Someone to throw me through the air! (love airsteps)

Having followed intently all the Blackpool discussions these past 11 days, I feel I really must say thanks to DS, Rachel, Gus and Mike for their very kind words. I'm sure James would add his thanks too.

I feel that I need to say the following: James and I were extremely fortunate to have won our category. We had only been dancing together less than 3 weeks before the competition. Prior to that, we had hardly ever danced together. It must have been a touch of momentary madness that made us decide to enter! Possibly because of that, we didn't have too many "choreographed" moves as we didn't have time to learn them! We decided instead to go for the "spontaneous" look, and try to play off each other. I do admit, however, that we threw in a couple of "tricks", purely for entertainment value.

However, the bottom line was, we got lucky. We were lucky in the selection of music for all our heats/rounds. If we had been given the "challenging" track played in the very first heat of the first round, we might well not have made it beyond that round! We were also fortunate in that when the judges were looking at us, we managed not to ****-up. We were also very lucky that we managed to get through all 3 rounds without tripping each other up, or knocking each other over or staring blankly at each other as we try to figure out what the other is trying to do!:sorry Believe me, that happens a lot!

We do not, on the basis of our win, consider ourselves better dancers than anyone else; not C&J, nor J&S, nor G&S, etc. It just so happened that on the day of the competition our luck was in (knew I should have bought the lottery for that evening! ). I honestly was gob-smacked when they announced us as the winners; it was so unexpected.

Now we all know that lady luck seldom bestows her favour more than once, hence James and I will not be competing again (as a couple). We did so purely for fun and a bit of a laugh. We got both that, and a whole lot more than we ever expected. We had a terrific time in Blackpool and really appreciated the support of the people who cheered for us. We met lots of friends from afar, had loads of dances with all our favourite people - apologies to those I missed out due to being near death by the end of the day Did manage one and a half dance with Bill (needed to remind myself why he is BTC ) and also with the very charming DS. Gus - I will get you one of these days .........

If nothing else, I would consider my exploits in Blackpool a success if from now on, more men asked me to dance!!!!!!!

LilyB

The Forum Legend
    Whoops, Someone to throw me through the air! (love airsteps)
    Well. I'll have a go Jennie....

I'm not very good at them though. Being a 7 stone weakling, as well as being a beginner

Steve

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by LilyB

Now we all know that lady luck seldom bestows her favour more than once, hence James and I will not be competing again (as a couple). LilyB

What a shame, Lily - I was already looking forward to seeing you as a couple at the Ceroc Champs! It was inspiring stuff in Blackpool - and watching you and James practice at Kent House... It certainly helped me and Toby lift our game

Blog Entries

Re: jennie and simon

Originally posted by Harry
    Hi jenni
    You were most certainly my favourite couple,and dont think you have to do anything more than you already do .
    Heya Harry - It's good to see someone else from our specific neck of the woods on here!

I ordered my ticket for Nigel & Nina on Monday & as I say, I'm looking forward to seeing the showcase afterwards!

Hope you'll stay & post some more on here.

Bristol and sometimes on another planet entirely

J & S South West win

Hi Graham,

Sorry I had forgotten about their win at the Elmgrove (was it?) -
    probably cos its not so high profile as other nationals.......:sorry

Bristol and sometimes on another planet entirely

Lilli and James

WOW.... practising just 3 weeks together!!! I think I will give up now.... that's probably less than some 'Dance with a Stranger' competitors have. (Sometimes the 'lucky dip' has been extremely lucky for some, so to speak).

This only goes to prove what amazing dancers you and James are - so be proud. Looking forward to seeing you compete next with whoever / whenever.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by TheTramp

I'm not very good at them though. Being a 7 stone weaklinge
    er..which part of you weighs 7 stone ?

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    er..which part of you weighs 7 stone ?
    All of him weighs 7 stone. It's just that it also weighs 8 stone, 9 stone, 10 stone,.........

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LilyB
    [B]

However, the bottom line was, we got lucky. We were lucky in the selection of music for all our heats/rounds.

Lily/James

“You got lucky”….No chance!! You 2 are the most stylish & knowledgeable dancers I know. I personally have no doubt you guys won on the day & convincingly so. Somehow I’m glad you will not be competing together again.

Catch up soon

Clayton

The Forum Legend
    Yeah.

What Clayton said.

Except that I'm sorry that you won't be competing again. It would have been good to have another chance to watch you at the ceroc Open.

Since I know that we're not in with a shout of winning, it'd be nice to be beaten by the best

Steve

(Although, I have to admit that I voted for Orville. Gotta love the duck!!)

(Although, I have to admit that I voted for Orville. Gotta love the duck!!)
    Well that's at least 2 votes that the Duck stole from you then. It was the green feathers and the nappy that swung it for me.

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by LilyB
    Did manage one and a half dance with Bill (needed to remind myself why he is BTC ) and also with the very charming DS. Gus - I will get you one of these days .........

If nothing else, I would consider my exploits in Blackpool a success if from now on, more men asked me to dance!!!!!!!

LilyB

And believe me it was very much my pleasure.........as usual

I had a great time in Blackpool as well and it was great to watch you dance with James ( being eliminated in the first round- as expected - gave Fran and me plenty of time to watch !! ).

Pity the two of you aren't competing in London.........then again if C& J, and Steve, and all the other usual 'suspects' don't enter it means Fran and I might get to the second round. So Tramp........can you 'fix' it for us please ????? ...You see all the other good dancers so a minor injury or two plus a decision not to enter yourself might help. Then again we have the likes of young Elliot and the 'new' gang emerging...... wonder if London will do a 'seniors' comp........

Anyway, I have a feeling that this might be my last visit to the Ceroc champs so I hope I enjoy it.......or at least get to see some of it !

Hope to see you when I get to London in April Lily...we're down for about 3 days so hope to see some well know faces and would love a few dances.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill

Anyway, I have a feeling that this might be my last visit to the Ceroc champs so I hope I enjoy it.......or at least get to see some of it !

Insert new bird whom you have never met asking personal question.

Why last visit??

(will not be offended by MYOB for an answer!!)

B.T.C.
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Chicklet
    Originally posted by Bill

Insert new bird whom you have never met asking personal question.

Why last visit??

(will not be offended by MYOB for an answer!!)

Well..............mainly because the Blackpool event is now so much better and such a better venue really and added to the fact that I still don't really enjoy competing and get far too stressed

London is far too crowded and very little room till almost the end to have any enjoyable dances and extremely difficult to get a decent view of the competition itself.

It's also much easier to get to Blackpool and I think the standard is higher. The only reason I'm going this year is to see who is competing in the Open section. But you never know, maybe this year will just be great fun

Maybe I'll take a break for competing and come back in a couple of years to challenge Hazel and John inthe seniors event at Blackpool

Blog Entries
    thank you for kind explanation, which is a great relief.

came over a cold sweat imagining maybe you were retiring to take up philately......which you mustn't do for at least the two years it will take me to get to a minimum dance standard and pluck up the courage to ask for a burl roon a flair.

Now tell me this - do the red trousers that I've seen and the red shoes that I'm sure I've read about ever come out at the same time?

The Forum Legend
    Pity the two of you aren't competing in London.........then again if C& J, and Steve, and all the other usual 'suspects' don't enter it means Fran and I might get to the second round. So Tramp........can you 'fix' it for us please ?????
    No problem Bill.

Clayton & Janine, Graham & Sarah, Sharif & Jenny, and dare I say myself and Laili (and probably others) won't be entering the advanced section (mainly cos we're not eligible).

Any other wishes that you want me to fix. Can you keep them that easy though please!

As for injuries, the less said about that at the moment, the better

Steve

As for injuries, the less said about that at the moment, the better

Steve
    oh dear - hope your body is not too badly injured!!!

fran

Versailles (yeah, in the chateau itself !)
    Originally posted by Bill

Maybe I'll.....come back in a couple of years to challenge Hazel and John in the seniors event at Blackpool
    Assuming I will reach 50 way before Fran.... ready to start practising when you are

I'm also ready to be a judge in the BTC category (I'll leave Jayne and chums to come up with ideas on how that would work
    )

Wx

Thread Information