• Other non-finalists...

6 18.18%
  • I wasn't there, but I like to vote on Polls

4 12.12%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Now you can judge Blackpool

Come on DQN....

You ARE said Miss Jennie Slade ain't ya! Come on deny it then

Well danced by the way. You guys turned a lot of heads and impressed alot of people. Nice one

Will

Choreographed?

Originally posted by Will
    One was that they might have actually been Penalized / Disqualified for alot of choreographed moves that weren't 'lead' in the strictest sense of the word. (i.e. seemed to me that there were alot of moves that were in there spotlight routine that also appeared in their freestyle.) Perhaps that was interpretted as not enough modern jive??? who knows?
    If that was the case then most of the competitors should also have been penalised! Reviewing last years vid there was some blatent choreography and this year was no different ..... so much for 'lead and follow'. (OK ... ODA view only of course )

Talking

Busted! That was the plan . So what do Simon and I(new kids on the block) have to do to knock the regulars of there spots (same old, same old)?

Debster, you danced great!

Will, where do you dance and how do you Know Simon and I?
    Last edited by DQN; 7th-March-2003 at 01:11 PM.

The Oracle

Re: Jennie and Simon

Originally posted by DQN
    DavidB how do you Know so much about Jennie Slade and Simon Bowker?
    Hi Jennie. Thanks for the dance on Wednesday.

I know nothing about Simon. All I know about you is that you did well in the Bristol competition, wore a blue dress at Blackpool, appear to have had some latin/ballroom training, and are very nice to dance with. I only found out your name on Saturday when someone asked me 'Have you danced with Jennie yet?'

In the first round you struck me as a couple who danced well together, especially with the latin music, and were enjoying yourselves. I honestly didn't get to watch you in the semi or the final. I found it strange you did seem to attract such polarised views - that is usually reserved for people with really extreme styles.

As for how to win there are only two ways - you either do what everyone else does, but much better, or you do something different. (The problem with 'different' is that you can never tell what the judges have seen before, or how they are going to react.)

BTW Some of the regulars aren't - James & Lily had been dancing together for 3 weeks.

David

The Forum Legend
    Hiya Jennie....

So then. What does DQN stand for??

Missed a dance with you last weekend

Steve

Wink jennie and simon

Hi jenni
    You were most certainly my favourite couple,and dont think you have to do anything more than you already do .Why you were marked down remains a mystery but im sure its only a matter of time before you do get there when maybe they see you doing something abit different and commend you for it.All I would say is watch this space!!!and carry on burning the floor.Well done to both of you
    x

Cheers chick, we were in the same rounds but the feed back from our side was you looked great and should of gone through, and your spot light was great, alot of thought ( and guts to entertain on your own for a section ). And great black tassley top!

Keep guessing! Was looking for someone to through me in the air!

The Forum Legend
    Keep guessing!
    Ummm. I give up....
    Was looking for someone to through me in the air!
    Does this have anything to do with anything related to dancing at all??

Steve

..agree with u DB about having to do be much better than the others to win.. I did wonder whether the youth of J & S threatened the status quo of jive in general a tad.. !?

PS - did anyone else notice the double entrant in Lucky Dip? I'm keeping stmmm (it wasnt me)

Bye for now..:-)

Originally posted by DQN
    Busted! That was the plan . So what do Simon and I(new kids on the block) have to do to knock the regulars of there spots (same old, same old)?

Debster, you danced great!

Will, where do you dance and how do you Know Simon and I?
    Wow, such a wonderful compliment from someone so talented and well admired - Thanks!

So come on Will, fess up, where do you know this spectacular couple from?

And take it easy on the choreography snobbery everybody. I personally prefer just lead and follow for the fun factor, it generally gives me lots of room to improvise, but when you have done a showcase routine or practised the spots off a really great move you want to use it in lots of your dancing!

When does a move become a choreographed piece? How long does a sequence have to be before you consider it not just a 'move' that might be taught in a Ceroc lesson and slotted into 'freestyle'. I think it is fine to string a bunch of stuff together as long as when you plan to use it it fits with the music being played. That's where Latin ballroom often loses the plot I think. But that's a different discussion.

Bristol and sometimes on another planet entirely

Smile Results in Blackpool

Hello Harry,
    Without a shadow of a doubt you should have been placed in the TAC section - you looked like you had been dancing with your partner (who was very slick and stylish by the way!) for years.

You are always a pleasure to watch and seem able to adapt your style to match your partner - whatever their style.

Your showcase was excellent and displayed your wide range of dancing capabilities.

Judges must eventually recognise what a fantastic dancer you are one day and give you what you deserve.

Regards

Smile Blackpool results

Hi Jennie & Simon,

You definately deserved to get placed (at least) for the Advanced. Most people I spoke to thought you had won it. The only reason I could think that you didn't was possibly not enough basic jive in your freestyle. But nevertheless, there was some pretty showstopping and innovative stuff shown and the crowd want to be entertained, and they certainly were by you both.

The heading in the tabloids the next day should have read "Jennie & Simon was Robbed"..... that's not to say the winners were not all fantastic, the standard is incredible, but it would be nice to see someone else have a bite of the cherry.

I am sure you won't, but don't give up, you will get there in the end, look how far you have come in such a short time, you are both naturals.

regards,

Every time I look at this poll I'm disappointed to see that James and Lily only have 2 votes. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks they looked absolutely amazing and thoroughly deserved their win.

Although I then start thinking that, because they did win, people are probably wishing to support the underdogs in this case - as I was - and are chosing other couples who might well have deserved a placing. Am I right here? I.e. it's not that James and Lily aren't among our favourite couples?

I admit that I actually voted for Jennie and Simon on this poll, too, just because I was so shocked that they didn't get placed at all, although I tried several times to vote for two couples - James and Lily also - but it just wouldn't let me! So in the end, I chose the couple who I thought didn't get the credit they'd deserved.

(I didn't really see much of Janine and Clayton in the Advanced final as they were furthest away from me. But I did think their Spotlight was incredible and it's going to be one of the first things I'll be looking to watch again when I get the Blackpool video.)

Rachel

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    James and Lily were noticably better than everyone else in my (and others) opinions. Fairly clear cut decision i thought

The Oracle

Re: Results in Blackpool

Originally posted by Easter Bunny
    Hello Harry ...Your showcase was excellent and displayed your wide range of dancing capabilities.
    Can someone please tell me what Harry was wearing, or what their routine was like. I have problems with names at the best of times.

David

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    James and Lily were noticably better than everyone else in my (and others) opinions. Fairly clear cut decision i thought
    Don’t usually comment but I’m biting.

WOW DS, you must be a very good judge to see a (noticeably better/clear cut) difference between the top two couples. As from the judges results, there was a dead heat for first, & as I hear it, J&L winning in a long discussion by the judges….who knows why?? All credit to J&L but it was very very close.

In my opinion Lilly was noticeably the best female on the floor & C&J noticeably the better couple on the floor. I’m going to wait for the video before I make a bold decision like you made. For argument sake...the opinions of some notable modernjivers. …regularly talked about on this forum tended to sway towards C&J.

Would love to see a rematch with Jennie & Simon included….Is this going to happen at the Ceroc Comp?????

John

Following on from what DS and Rachel have said, I should point out that this poll is in no way scientific, and it was probably a mistake for me to refer to it as "Judging Blackpool". I'm sure that there is a strong element of truth in what Rachel said.

It was supposed to be light-hearted, otherwise I wouldn't have voted for Keith & Orville.

I don't think I'll be posting another poll like this in May :sorry

Smile Harry's costume

Hi David B,
    For her showcase Harry was wearing a white halterneck isometric hemline dress and danced a small part of the showcase centre stage on her own - latin style. (Sherif was wearing a yellow suit)

I was not knocking Lili and Partner in any way, she is a fantastic dancer and deserved to win, but I did think Jennie and Simon would have been placed.

Originally posted by Will
    I don't think I'll be posting another poll like this in May :sorry
    No, please do - it's really interesting. You're right, no-one should take it too seriously, but it's fascinating to hear other people's opinions. Spectators' views on their preferred couple/group will always be part of competitions - if we weren't interested in who won and why, we probably wouldn't have been watching in the first place.

I just hope that Jennie and Simon won't change their dancing according to what they think future judges might be looking for. If I had a choice, I'd prefer to be able to dance like they did, even if it meant not winning any competitions ....
    R.

Thread Information