2 6.06%
  • Other non-finalists...

6 18.18%
  • I wasn't there, but I like to vote on Polls

4 12.12%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Now you can judge Blackpool

Lightbulb Now you can judge Blackpool

Everyone has an opinion, but many are shy to share. Were the judges right? Do you agree with the results?

Well I have the solution - A simple poll allowing everyone to vote anonymously for who should have won the advanced. It will be interesting to see if our 1,2,3 matches the judges 1,2,3.

Apologies for not including all the finalists in the poll but I can't remember them all. Please feel free to tell me to add others if you know them.

Well it's early doors, but at the moment the green duck has taken an early lead.

The Original Scooby Dave Hancock's Avatar
    Should there not be an option for others, it seems to me that you only show the finalists, but it may be the opinion of some (myself included) that some who didn't qualify for the final possibly were as good if not better than those who won, I would certainly take this option and as such haven't voted. Perhaps you could update the options??

Commercial Operator
    Quite hard to vote on this one coz I can't put faces to the names. However there was a couple who didn't make it to the final that impressed me. Don't know their names or where they are from, but the girl had shortish blonde hair and wore a short white dress in the heat, and the guy had short black hair. I saw them at the tea Dance on Sunday and they were having a great time dancing ballroom stuff.Thought they danced very well together without being too flash.

The girl was Donna Van-Roose, not sure who her partner was though.

Thought this thread could do with a 'bump' as quite a few votes have been cast now, but no-one has been posting to identify their votes - which is fair enough.

The interesting thing at the moment is that 2 of the joint-leaders didn't even place.

1. Jennie & Simon - I think this could make an interesting discussion point as dancing was clearly quite different to everyone else in the final. Did this help them or hinder them?Comments???
    (N.B. they finished last in the final according to the scores on the official website)

2. Other non-finalists. I understand if people wish to remain anonymous, but it would be great if we could somehow find out which particular couples the voters had in mind here - then we could discuss them too.

Hmmm, I worry about this thread (and I know Peter L is the Chief Worrier, but sometimes I help him out!!)

Fair enough for people to identify themselves and post their views on what they saw and how they saw it, but to have a poll where people (who may not even have seen the event) can anonymously post votes does bring into question the validity of the results and the motivation of those who posted them (and I'm not drawing any conclusions about anyone who has posted - just that there has to be a question if the vote is unattributable!)

As has been said lots of times elsewhere, judging is so difficult and thankless a task that it's quite a surprise that Ceroc, C2D etc get people willing to do it, and I don't think this poll helps.

So mark me down as "Abstained"!!!!!

Originally posted by Will
    1. Jennie & Simon - I think this could make an interesting discussion point as dancing was clearly quite different to everyone else in the final. Did this help them or hinder them?Comments???
    (N.B. they finished last in the final according to the scores on the official website)
    A very quick reply for now, cos work's still frantic - but I thought both Lily/James and Jennie/Simon were absolutely amazing, inspiring, different, innovative, fun ... No other couples came close to either of them, in my opinion, and I'd placed them first and second. I have absolutely no argument with Lily coming first, but can't understand why Jennie and Simon weren't placed at all. The only conclusion I reached on the day was that they'd been disqualified for some reason. Very confused... ?????
    Don't know their names or where they are from, but the girl had shortish blonde hair and wore a short white dress in the heat, and the guy had short black hair. I saw them at the tea Dance on Sunday and they were having a great time dancing ballroom stuff.Thought they danced very well together without being too flash.
    Yes, that was Donna, with her Australian boyfriend Pete, or Paul, or something. Personally I think Donna could have done a lot better than she did there - yes, they were dancing very nicely, but it was hardly anything spectacular to make them stand out, which I've no doubt she is capable of.

Oh, and I know I shouldn't really post this on the wrong thread, but I just have to agree that Blackpool was amazing, and it was fantastic to meet so many of the Scottish crowd. I was even lucky enough to have some wonderful dances with Bill (who I had to run across the floor to get hold of - very undignified, but worth it!), and with Sherwin, Dreadful Scathe, Steven, oh God, sorry, I forget the name, who was it who had their hand strapped up? (And John S - where did you disappear to? I was hoping for a dance with you as well.)

And the Scottish girls looked amazing in the competitions (have to say Mel and Heather in the double trouble certainly got my boyfriend's heart racing)! And It was lovely to finally meet Emma, too. A wonderful weekend all round. And I didn't even panic in the TAC. Ok, I didn't get past the first round but, yes, you were all right, it really WAS fun.
    Rachel

Without doing what I promised I wouldn't do (and start questioning decsions) this is one of the main results which convinced me I know nothing about judging. Myself and a couple of other teachers were convinced that the real battle for 1st place was between C&J and J&S ... just shows how much we know

YES ... I know Lilli was awesome .... (before I get flamed .... again)

Originally posted by John S
    Hmmm, I worry about this thread (and I know Peter L is the Chief Worrier, but sometimes I help him out!!)

Fair enough for people to identify themselves and post their views on what they saw and how they saw it, but to have a poll where people (who may not even have seen the event) can anonymously post votes does bring into question the validity of the results and the motivation of those who posted them
    Validity?

Keith Harris and Orville the Duck have over 11% of the vote, and you are worried about validity???

I don't think the judges are going to lose too much sleep over this somehow.

Will

P.S. It's a good job that Orville can't fly or he might have been disqualified for doing Airsteps.
    P.P.S. Are travelling triple steps considered airsteps?

Originally posted by Rachel
    (And John S - where did you disappear to? I was hoping for a dance with you as well.)
    So sorry, Rachel - last time I saw you was when you were dancing with Steven, and I reckoned that my age just couldn't compete with his youthful vigour! Next time, for sure - great to meet you.

And the Scottish girls looked amazing in the competitions (have to say Mel and Heather in the double trouble certainly got my boyfriend's heart racing)! And It was lovely to finally meet Emma, too. A wonderful weekend all round. And I didn't even panic in the TAC. Ok, I didn't get past the first round but, yes, you were all right, it really WAS fun.
    Rachel
    Hiya Rachel, I didn't get a chance to meet you at the weekend but did finally manage to get a dance with your B/f. Had seen him dancing last year in London...thought he looked fantastic....and i wasn't dissapointed, he WAS fantastic. I told him where we all were so you could come over, and i think i saw you over our way on the Saturday...unfortunately missed the chance to say hi.
    Hopefully see you both up for the Scottish comp

filthycute x x

Originally posted by John S
    So sorry, Rachel - last time I saw you was when you were dancing with Steven, and I reckoned that my age just couldn't compete with his youthful vigour! Next time, for sure - great to meet you.
    Oh but John, I'm sure you could! Yes, - next time!!

Originally posted by filthycute
    Hiya Rachel, I didn't get a chance to meet you at the weekend but did finally manage to get a dance with your B/f. Had seen him dancing last year in London...thought he looked fantastic....and i wasn't dissapointed, he WAS fantastic. I told him where we all were so you could come over, and i think i saw you over our way on the Saturday...unfortunately missed the chance to say hi.
    Hopefully see you both up for the Scottish comp

filthycute x x
    Thank you for those lovely things you were saying about Marc - I'll pass on the compliments! Your dancing looked great, too - many congratulations on your results!!!

I'm beginning to realise now just how many people I didn't manage to catch up with at the weekend. Will was someone else who was pointed out to me but I never got to meet. Still, there will definitely be other occasions. Are you coming to London in May - Marc and I will definitely be there. Oh, and Janet can't wait to see you there as well.
    Rachel

Will was someone else who was pointed out to me but I never got to meet. Still, there will definitely be other occasions.
    Indeed there will. Gutted that I didn't meet you on the day. What were you wearing?

Anyway, see you at Hammersmith

Will

Indeed there will. Gutted that I didn't meet you on the day. What were you wearing?

Anyway, see you at Hammersmith

Will
    I was wearing a, um, very 'picnic down the park on a Sunday' type floral dress (greenish colour) during the day and a knee-length black halterneck dress in the evening. I'll look out for you in May - R x.

The Oracle
    Originally posted by Gus
    Myself and a couple of other teachers were convinced that the real battle for 1st place was between C&J and J&S ... just shows how much we know
    I spoke to a few people who were surprised that Jennie & Simon didn't place. I also spoke to several others who were surprised they made it into the final.

I only saw a bit of them in the first round, and thought as soon as I heard the music (ie latin) that they would get through.

I can't really say anything else until I see the video - I was only watching one couple after that.

David

Originally posted by Gus
    Without doing what I promised I wouldn't do (and start questioning decsions) this is one of the main results which convinced me I know nothing about judging. Myself and a couple of other teachers were convinced that the real battle for 1st place was between C&J and J&S ... just shows how much we know

YES ... I know Lilli was awesome .... (before I get flamed .... again)
    In my calculations C&J have placed 1st or 2nd in BPool/Ceroc in the last 3 years. In my opinion they were the best again this year but were beaten by new/deferent rather than better. & Yes Lily was Brill

Originally posted by DavidB
    I spoke to a few people who were surprised that Jennie & Simon didn't place. I also spoke to several others who were surprised they made it into the final.
    Funny you should say that David. I've also come across very polarized views on this couple.

I certainly think that they were very eye catching. I've got a couple of possible theories which I have no idea if they are true.

One was that they might have actually been Penalized / Disqualified for alot of choreographed moves that weren't 'lead' in the strictest sense of the word. (i.e. seemed to me that there were alot of moves that were in there spotlight routine that also appeared in their freestyle.) Perhaps that was interpretted as not enough modern jive??? who knows?

The other theory is that they might have been Penalized / Disqualified for some form of Airstep that I missed.

Whatever, I'm no expert and I could be completely wrong about both of these ideas. Please don't flame me. :sorry

Lightbulb Jennie and Simon

I like the theory about choreographed moves! The first eight beats were thought about but the rest of the dance I beleive was freestyle (as you see from the mistakes and laughter) .

DavidB how do you Know so much about Jennie Slade and Simon Bowker?

xxx

Thread Information