Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Bristol Dance....?

Does Bristol Dance....?

Hi thought this might be the easiest thing to do rather than trawl the world wide web. (Is that lazy?)

Anyway to the Point!!! (Errm do I have one? )

I'm gonna be in Bristol for a few days towards the end of April visiting a friend who recently has expressed an interest in learning to dance!!! But like most of us is a bit nervy about going on her own the first time!

Was ondering if anyone knew of any Classes or events going on and if they are actually any good? (Sorry if i offend anybody its not intentional! )

Hope someone can help (I Might suffer from extream withdrawl symptoms if I don't get at least a weekly fix )

Freya xXx

(Have I posted this in the right bit? If not I'm Sorry!!! Please no-one shout at me)

Re: Does Bristol Dance....?

PM Philsmove he lives around that area and tends to be very helpful when it comes to venues etc

Ta Wittybird.

Freya xXx

Oh yes, Bristol dances to be sure. But, although Ceroc may be circling around the perimeters, it's various varieties of Leroc that hold sway in that fair port. Pretty much the same sort of Modern Jive, although 'signals' seem to be the flavour in some quarters. It appears that there's plenty of choice, and there are some fantastic dancers, so quality is there to be sampled and enjoyed. I'm sure those more intimately involved will point in the directions right.

Le-roc eh?

My first ever experience of this kinda dance was Le-roc! IF I remember it was all about emphasising the signals!

Think I enjoy ceroc more everyone's so friendly and helpful!

Ta for the info!

Freya xXx

Bristol does indeed dance -- for example, see http://www.afterfive.co.uk/maps/Modern_Jive-links.html and zoom in.

Or you could ask on the Bristol forum http://www.leroc-in-bristol.co.uk/forum or just have a look at the site http://www.leroc-in-bristol.co.uk.

Cheers,
    SpinDr (Bristolian by birth )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WittyBird
    PM Philsmove he lives around that area and tends to be very helpful when it comes to venues etc
    Whereas the rest of we Bristolians are completely evil & totally unhelpful...
    Quote Originally Posted by Freya
    Think I enjoy ceroc more everyone's so friendly and helpful!
    You've never been to Ceroc™ Cheltenh.... Oh, shut up Lou!

There's a choice of venues every night in Bristol.

Mondays - John Eastman (eastmanjohn on the forum) teaches at The Folk House on Park Street, and Sherif teaches at St Bon's. (On the last Monday of the month it's Simon & ElaineB from the forum teaching). Both of the classes are lovely & you'll have a fine time.

Tuesday - You've got a choice of Elmgrove in the city, and either BAWA and Yate on the outskirts. I'd recommend BAWA, although their beginners class is more of an improvers class these days. If you want to venture a little bit southwards, there's Portishead. Lovely people. Give Maurice the teacher a hug from me. (If you really can't bear to try LeRoc, there is now a Ceroc™ class in the neighbouring city of Bath). Lots of people go to Jongleurs in town for a dance instead.

Wednesday - You have Elmgrove again. The least said about that, the better. You also have Kingswood, but I'm not sure how busy it is these days. Bath has a Ginger Jive class.

Thursday - Nailsea. They're a lovely friendly bunch of people. But I'm not really that impressed by the quality of teaching. Lots of thumbs & badly executed drops. And this weird way of counting. Still - lots of folks like it. There's also a Ceroc™ class in Thornbury. If you're lucky DJ John Baker will have brought along his nice records. Oooh... and there's a class at the University, but I've never ever been, so I can't tell you what it's like.

There's normally at least one freestyle on locally on either Friday or Saturday - or if you're lucky, both. Although I don't think there's anything this weekend.

Anyway - these are only my subjective opinions, formed from many years of dancing in this fair city. They are definitely biased!

Quote Originally Posted by Lou
    Whereas the rest of we Bristolians are completely evil & totally unhelpful...

You've never been to Ceroc™ Cheltenh.... Oh, shut up Lou!

There's a choice of venues every night in Bristol.

Mondays - John Eastman (eastmanjohn on the forum) teaches at The Folk House on Park Street, and Sherif teaches at St Bon's. (On the last Monday of the month it's Simon & ElaineB from the forum teaching). Both of the classes are lovely & you'll have a fine time.

Tuesday - You've got a choice of Elmgrove in the city, and either BAWA and Yate on the outskirts. I'd recommend BAWA, although their beginners class is more of an improvers class these days. If you want to venture a little bit southwards, there's Portishead. Lovely people. Give Maurice the teacher a hug from me. (If you really can't bear to try LeRoc, there is now a Ceroc™ class in the neighbouring city of Bath). Lots of people go to Jongleurs in town for a dance instead.

Wednesday - You have Elmgrove again. The least said about that, the better. You also have Kingswood, but I'm not sure how busy it is these days. Bath has a Ginger Jive class.

Thursday - Nailsea. They're a lovely friendly bunch of people. But I'm not really that impressed by the quality of teaching. Lots of thumbs & badly executed drops. And this weird way of counting. Still - lots of folks like it. There's also a Ceroc™ class in Thornbury. If you're lucky DJ John Baker will have brought along his nice records. Oooh... and there's a class at the University, but I've never ever been, so I can't tell you what it's like.

There's normally at least one freestyle on locally on either Friday or Saturday - or if you're lucky, both. Although I don't think there's anything this weekend.

Anyway - these are only my subjective opinions, formed from many years of dancing in this fair city. They are definitely biased!
    Oh yes, Le Roc'ers are renowned...........any strangers that enter a class in Bristol beware. The music stops, (even though the DJ is nowhere to be seen ) the locals all go silent, their trigger hands twitch and tumbleweed appears from nowhere and in a ghostly fashion, moves across the floor....... Sorry, couldn't resist!

Anyway, the only other comment to add is that Elmgrove no longer hold a class on a Tuesday night and Kingswood is still quiet.

If you can let us know the exact dates, we'll look out for you.

Elaine

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard
    Oh yes, Bristol dances to be sure. But, although Ceroc may be circling around the perimeters, it's various varieties of Leroc that hold sway in that fair port. .
    don’t worry the main different between leroc and ceroc is the way they are spelt

there is also a very informal get together on Tuesday evening at Jonglers

if you are into TANGO a visit to Eduardo on Thursday is a must

another highlightis Friday 28th at BAWA

Commercial Operator

We also have a small but beatifully formed Lindy Hop community in Bristol & Bath which is becoming quite hip with a number of youngters (i.e. < 25 year olds) www.hoppinmad.co.uk

There's also thriving Salsa & Ballroom scenes - plenty to do

Quote Originally Posted by clevedonboy
    We also have a small but beatifully formed Lindy Hop community in Bristol & Bath which is becoming quite hip with a number of youngters (i.e. < 25 year olds) www.hoppinmad.co.uk

There's also thriving Salsa & Ballroom scenes - plenty to do

Lindy hop?

That sounds a laugh! I might give that a go

Wow

Thanx guys for all your replies! Who thought there would be so many folk from bristol on! And so lovely and friendly!

Looks like we're gonna be down Round about the weekend of the 22/23 but not sure of exact day's etc. (Will depend on Flights - it cost so damn much to fly from Aberdeen)

There seems to be a great choice of classes to keep me happy!

Freya xXx

...Looks like we're gonna be down Round about the weekend of the 22/23 but not sure of exact day's etc. (Will depend on Flights - it cost so damn much to fly from Aberdeen)...
    Amazing coincidence - that's the same weekend as JiveAddiction's Big Bang at Weston Super Mare, which is only a tiny hop away from Bristol:
    http://jiveaddiction.com/mambo/content/view/52/54/

Should be an amazing event (& we'll be there!). Could be a bit scary for your friend, however, if she's not yet been to a class.

Rachel x

Commercial Operator

Wow

Thanx guys for all your replies! Who thought there would be so many folk from bristol on! And so lovely and friendly!

Looks like we're gonna be down Round about the weekend of the 22/23 but not sure of exact day's etc. (Will depend on Flights - it cost so damn much to fly from Aberdeen)

There seems to be a great choice of classes to keep me happy!

Freya xXx
    Check out www.cliftonleroc.co.uk to listen to the going's on in Bristol. The local radio station have been following the progress of a new couple in our beginners class. They're loving it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    Should be an amazing event (& we'll be there!). Could be a bit scary for your friend, however, if she's not yet been to a class.
    Ahhh... but you remind me that by a lucky quirk of fate, I will actually be teaching a beginners workshop with Sherif that afternoon at St Bon's!

I hear you guys will be down to St Bon's on the 25 March - and I gather Marc's DJing?

Quote Originally Posted by Lou
    Ahhh... but you remind me that by a lucky quirk of fate, I will actually be teaching a beginners workshop with Sherif that afternoon at St Bon's!
    Even more amazing! Don't things work out so beautifully sometimes...

I hear you guys will be down to St Bon's on the 25 March - and I gather Marc's DJing?
    Yes, that's true. Will you be around? Would love to see you again! We're also down in June doing workshops for Sherif. My parents have never had so many visits - that will be twice in one year!

R. x

Donna

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    Amazing coincidence - that's the same weekend as JiveAddiction's Big Bang at Weston Super Mare, which is only a tiny hop away from Bristol:
    This is one I'm hoping to go to!!!

Well all I can say is that "Sherif teaches at St Bon's"

Nuff said.

Biased, yes, but known him for Soooooooooo many years

Top dancer who in the early years travelled extensively to London to improve and soak up the love.

If I went to Bristol I would seek out Sherif.

Martin

Donna

If I went to Bristol I would seek out Sherif.
    And his sexy body rolls!!!

Hey Guys.

Just thought I would say I'll definately be down in bristol from Wed 19th april - sun 23rd! I won't make the weekend stuff but hoping to make a class since i'll miss my regular haunts this week <Wed & Thurs>

Think thursday will prob be the best night - so wheres best!!!

XXX

Thread Information