Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spinning

spinning

could somebody please give me some tips how too spin on the spot as i have trouble in doing it without loosing my balance

Re: spinning

- Look straight ahead, as in don't look down.
    - Practice it SLOWLY. Even if you don't make it all the way around. Slow spins are IMHO the best way to figure out the mechanics of the exercise and where your weaknesses are, i.e. where and when you start tumbling

By the end of freestyle I always manage to feel sick! Especially if a guy is always spinning you. Any tips on how to stop feeling dizzy and sick??

Cheers from a very dizzy lady!!

You can also bend your knees to bring your centre of gravity down which should help the balance.

And lots and lots of practise.

During warm ups each night I normally practise till I can get a couple of double spins each way. Start with a single slowly then work up to a 1.5 spin then work up to a double each time making sure its on balance etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDee
    By the end of freestyle I always manage to feel sick! Especially if a guy is always spinning you. Any tips on how to stop feeling dizzy and sick??
    Partly you get used to spinning, so you might simply give it time, if you're just starting.
    If you're feeling a bit dizzy, and the guy sends you into yet another free spin, you can choose (yourself) to slow the spin down into more of a saunter.
    Don't spin looking at the floor or the ceiling (or your following hand if it's above your head). Though if you do look at the ceiling, and you have longer hair, it can look pretty cool. Swishy and stuff.
    Intermediates sometimes try "spotting", which I can't really explain, but I'm sure someone will.
    You could also tell your leaders to not spin you so much. Chaps do like to do what pleases.

There's a similar thread here, btw:

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=4611

Donna

Intermediates sometimes try "spotting", which I can't really explain, but I'm sure someone will.

Ok. Focus on your partners eyes or one area on the wall. Everytime you turn your head should come around a bit quicker trying not to take your eyes off this spot everytime you spin. Stops you getting dizzy, and so can spin and spin AAALLLL night! HAPPY SPINNING!

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    Ok. trying not to take your eyes off this spot everytime you spin.

Erm - I think you have to take your eyes off the spot at some point or you end up with a neck like a corkscrew.

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Saxylady
    Erm - I think you have to take your eyes off the spot at some point or you end up with a neck like a corkscrew.

I like that!!! You know what I mean!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Saxylady
    Well, either that or you can have a starring role in the next Exorcist movie.

This webpage has one of the better descriptions of spotting I've seen (including computer animations!). It says:

Quote Originally Posted by www.ballroomdancers.com
    When you spot, the goal is to keep the head fixed in space while the body turns underneath. This is best accomplished by maintaining visual focus on a particular object in the room.

Generally, the range of motion of the neck allows the head to turn slightly less than 180ยบ, from one shoulder to the other. When the body has turned to the point that the neck has reached its maximum range of motion (with the head looking almost over one shoulder), the head will quickly turn around to the opposite side (the other shoulder) to focus on the same spot. The action of quickly switching the head is known as Re-focusing the Spot, and should be done in a very swift motion in only an instant.

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin
    Well, either that or you can have a starring role in the next Exorcist movie.

This webpage has one of the better descriptions of spotting I've seen (including computer animations!). It says:
    This is very helpful! (Phew I'm doing it right then!)

Quote Originally Posted by dancing duggie
    could somebody please give me some tips how too spin on the spot as i have trouble in doing it without loosing my balance
    I was taught the best way of doing this is to step onto the ball of your right foot for clockwise spinning (left for anti), and make sure your knee is above your ankle (your knee should be bent). Have your hands out in front of your like your holding a beach ball (this helps your balance), turn very slightly with your body away from the direction your spinning in (don't wind yourself up too far or you'll overturn and lose balance), then move your top half in the direction you want to spin in (rather than your leg/knee, which twists it). If you step forward into this position, and then move, this gets the momentum going. The foot which your weight isn't on (eg your left if your spinning clockwise) should come in and hover right next to your other foot, so to a casual passer-by it might look as though you have both feet on the floor. Try to think about holding yourself upright like you have a string being pulled upwards through the top of your head.

Hope this makes sense, if you're ever in the Peterborough area I'm quite happy to show you what I mean, although no doubt you're in Scotland!

Hi,

don't know who you are. Trying to work it out.

I would suggest talking to either Lisa or myself next time you are at a class. I have some great exercises which help develop the correct muscles for spinning. But I'm afraid it's like everything else, you need to practice.

Hope to chat soon,

Lotsa love lorna x-x

Donna

I have some great exercises which help develop the correct muscles for spinning.
    Stomach muscles!

Dougie, Firstly put your pint down

and secondly dont have to many

You spinn loverly

Commercial Operator

I totally agree re. the spotting, and you can practice this by shuffling slowly around on the spot, while keeping your head still, then when you can go no further, move your head around to focus on the same spot, finishing with bringing your body around. The idea is that the head is the last part to move, and the first part to get round. Go as slowly as you like, to concentrate on the spotting technique, rather than the spin. After years of practice, I can happily do this with single spins, but still struggle with multiples.

Regarding staying on balance, it helps to have the body "centred" with stomach muscles pulled in, pelvis slightly tilted up from the neutral position, and with your head level, so that you are balanced over your centre of mass. Spin with "soft" knees, and if doing multiple spins, don't throw yourself into the spin which is liable to put you off balance, you can always use the spare foot to "paddle" the spin around. And don't lift that foot far from the ground, as this also disturbs your balance.
    If you have the willpower to practice every day, you'll get there much faster than most...

Greg

for a Breakdown, and exercises for spinning - Have a look at:
    http://www.afterfive.co.uk/guide/lat...and_turns.html

This will bake you noodles!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman
    Spin with "soft" knees, and if doing multiple spins, don't throw yourself into the spin which is liable to put you off balance, you can always use the spare foot to "paddle" the spin around. And don't lift that foot far from the ground, as this also disturbs your balance.

Greg
    I got told off for 'paddling' once (by Amir, so I have never 'paddled' since - except when it's too cold for swimming).

Spotting is the mechanism for preventing the fluid in the ears from building up too much momentum and swishing round long after we've stopped spinning. Staying straight and upright goes without saying if you think about it and remember when, as a child, how we kept that spinning top going for as long as we could.

Another one of those gems of info from Amir which helps, is to press the shoulder blades down - it works!

M

there is a pretty detailed explanation in the Cerocwiki

Staying on the balls of your feet helps a lot- as does holding your tummy in (don't ask me why). And keep your head up and shoulders down!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alice
    as does holding your tummy in (don't ask me why).
    this is because when you hold your tummy in you are activating your core muscles and hence create some core stability

Quote Originally Posted by Alice
    And keep your head up
    where your head goes the rest of your body will follow - and where your eyes look your head will go - so look up (this also helps with keeping stable, and helping to engage core muscles)

Thread Information