View Poll Results: What hand do you use most?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Right-handed male

24 23.53%
  • Right-handed female

31 30.39%
  • Left-handed male

14 13.73%
  • Left-handed female

8 7.84%
  • Ambidextrous male

12 11.76%
  • Ambidextrous female

6 5.88%
  • Three-handed mysterious dancer...

7 6.86%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Handedness

Ok, thanks for showing me what you meant last Monday. I have to say, that while I remember seeing a few guys doing it in London, I had never tried it myself
    Sounds like Viktors variation. I think its a derivation of a salsa move (no doubt Lydia can correct me). Viktor taught it to us last year, leading with the elbow, but then extending it to a full arm/shoulder roll. As with all really stylish moves its a deadly waepon ... it can look super cool or bl**dy awefull.

Originally posted by Franck
    Interesting question...

What about the right-handed archiespin? I know most men hate it... though I suspect it is a feet problem rather than a hand one.

Franck.
    I know I can't stand this one

I bet this was choreographed by a left handed left footed person.

Originally posted by under par
    I know I can't stand this one
    Neither could I... until I learned how to do it

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by ChrisA
    Neither could I... until I learned how to do it
    That's the thing isn't it?

The Right-handed Archie is a great move, and done well is very fluid, smooth, and can create that 'Wow' factor... But more often than not, it ends up looking like a pachyderm attempting a triple salto!

Doing the move well requires good balance / body awareness, spinning / turning technique and a good lead so that the timing can be perfect!

Generally, all the above is considered far too much effort for a move your partner is not supposed to even notice!
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

But more often than not, it ends up looking like a pachyderm attempting a triple salto!
    Yep, in fact I'm amazed that anyone can learn it, other than by practising it with someone one's not afraid to look foolish in front of (thanks Jayne )

The reason it took me so long to learn was because I'd never attempt it cos I'd look (and consequently feel) like a right muppet if I tried it in freestyle and lost my balance. And I'd dread it when Viktor would put it into one of his classes, making it look dead cool and saying "I really love this move".

Whereas now on the rare occasions it's taught in an intermediate class, I seem no longer to have that "oh god, please no" feeling.

It is, however, a move that's very vulnerable to being pulled off balance by a lady who's determined to lower her own hand or one that travels in unpredictable directions during a return.

Chris

Interesting question...

What about women, they have to use their right hand! Does that make a difference if you are left handed? Do you find you use your spare hand to create style effects more often / easily?

Franck.
    I'm left handed and find it completely natural to offer my right hand most of the time in Ceroc - probably because, from the first lesson, a lady is taught always to offer her right hand. Given the choice at the start, I would probably insisted on left offerings. Now, I'll offer anything.

However I've noticed that my spare left arm can flail around gracefully of its own accord but the right arm is completely wooden and doesn't have a clue how to behave when it finds itself spare. Purely lack of practice I feel.

Being left handed, I've often wondered how you right handed drivers manage to change gear. Not sure I could find reverse with the other hand.

Also, I can't steer a spoon into my gob with my right hand but use a knife and fork like normal people...

Cackhanded Daisy

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Daisy Chain

Being left handed, I've often wondered how you right handed drivers manage to change gear. Not sure I could find reverse with the other hand.
    Having driven in europe a lot i can say that gears dont bother me either side but being right handed i find my left-hand has a weaker grip so its scarier changing gear at speed until you get used to it. If you see what i mean

Someone will need to show me a right handed archie spin

Re: Handedness

Quote Originally Posted by jiveoholic
    Could you describe this move please Stuart...especially if it good to show off!

I have been on the receiving end of a sTuart shoulder roll and can confirm it is fun, original and he does it well! I also don't think anyone else has ever done it when I have been dancing with them...It's a Stuart thing in my mind...

At the moment over 10% of us are three-handed mysterious dancers

Are they male or female

I only have two arms. Is this why I cannot get to grips with double/triple trouble

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove

Are they male or female

I only have two arms. Is this why I cannot get to grips with double/triple trouble
    Another problem with this poll is that it contains an element of response bias - left handers are more likely to respond because they tend to notice handedness issues more. So even the apparently scientific angle to this poll should be ignored...

As to those three-handed mysterious dancers, how on earth are they able to remain mysterious?

Quote Originally Posted by Forte
    I have been on the receiving end of a sTuart shoulder roll and can confirm it is fun, original and he does it well! I also don't think anyone else has ever done it when I have been dancing with them...It's a Stuart thing in my mind...
    Hmmm....nope!!

Chris D, Edinburgh dancer does it with both left and right arm, sometimes at the same time. And I personally witnessed this move first with William another Edinburgh (taxi) dancer.......so for me he was way down the list on who had done this move with me.

But Stuart does manage to pull it off in rather a sleek manner

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove

I
    Personally, I'd be more interested in 3-legged men

Daisy

Quote Originally Posted by Flash
    Hmmm....nope!!

Chris D, Edinburgh dancer does it with both left and right arm, sometimes at the same time. And I personally witnessed this move first with William another Edinburgh (taxi) dancer.......so for me he was way down the list on who had done this move with me.

But Stuart does manage to pull it off in rather a sleek manner

Is that Chris very tall? I think I might have been shouder rolled by him too, now you come to mention it...

Quote Originally Posted by Franck
    What about the right-handed archiespin? I know most men hate it... though I suspect it is a feet problem rather than a hand one.
    Thread from the dead!

I love this move, assuming I am thinking of the same thing - R to R, travelling return for the lady and a 1.5 CW spin for the man so you end up facing the lady still in a R to R hold? However it has taken a long time for me to get to a stage where I am vaguely happy with my execution of it. First attempts saw me ending up miles from my partner and having to let go mid turn so I didn't break our wrists Having sorted that I could then only manage 1 spin in time which left me facing away from my partner (which can actually work as a variation). I think the thing that has helped me (IMHO) improve most is realising that I don't need to step forward and can pretty much turn on the spot leaving the ladies momentum to create the necessary distance and tension between us at the move's end to go into the next move smoothly (though I still feel I lack control at this point, my handhold is often higher than I feel it should be and I often feel there is a bit too much tension between myself and partner but it's lots better than it was)

The Right-handed Archie is a great move, and done well is very fluid, smooth, and can create that 'Wow' factor... But more often than not, it ends up looking like a pachyderm attempting a triple salto!

Doing the move well requires good balance / body awareness, spinning / turning technique and a good lead so that the timing can be perfect!

Generally, all the above is considered far too much effort for a move your partner is not supposed to even notice!
    I think the phrase 'pachyderm attempting a triple salto' has a certain 'Wow' factor even if I don't understand it.

And it is quite amusing how some partners regard you quite warily after you do this move. It's as if they know you've done something but aren't quite sure what it is.

Robert

Commercial Operator

In preparing with my partner for Blackpool, I found out that use of both hands was equally as important as either hand on it's own.

Last edited by CJ; 4th-April-2006 at 05:05 PM.

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

You are right, this move if led well with the correct timing is fab, but the times i have danced this move and it not been done right far outweigh the good!

i can follow with either hand, i dont know why but if a guy gets me on the wrong hand i just go with it. Thinking about it i remember dancing with franck in glasgow and we were dancing L-L and it actually took me a minute to think "mmm, something is different here"

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel
    You are right, this move if led well with the correct timing is fab, but the times i have danced this move and it not been done right far outweigh the good!
    Not just the right timing but the correct distance between you and your partner too.

i can follow with either hand, i dont know why but if a guy gets me on the wrong hand i just go with it. Thinking about it i remember dancing with franck in glasgow and we were dancing L-L and it actually took me a minute to think "mmm, something is different here"
    Funny... I've been listing all the basic moves and new moves we have for our routine today taking bits out and discovered that we have no L-L moves! Weird. Can't think of any though.

I am a right handed female. Dancing as a follower I find it natural and easy to offer my right hand, and am completely happy doing 'creative' things with my left - I am also happy if my left hand is taken, but find it much harder (or should I say impossible!) to do creative stuff with my right!

Dancing as a lead I don't have a problem with either handed moves (although I can only do beginner moves).

On our last lesson in Maidstone before Xmas last year we had a competition. We weren't told beforehand what it was to be, or that it would follow on from what we learnt in the lesson ... consequently I decided to do the lesson as a man ... the lesson was 4 beginner moves as usual (can't remember what they were, I know one was a yo-yo, think there was a comb, perhaps a side to side ... ) all done with the opposite hand - and the competition was to do the routine once through like that, then once through changing to normal handed then back to wrong handed and so on for a whole song without making a single mistake! I actually found it reasonably easy, considering I'm not a very practiced lead anyway. The women seemed to find it really difficult to offer their left hands or work out which way they were supposed to be turning - trying to go against my lead most of the time! Fun, but I wouldn't want to do it often!

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    Funny... I've been listing all the basic moves and new moves we have for our routine today taking bits out and discovered that we have no L-L moves! Weird. Can't think of any though.
    Try a L-L catapult, that usually causes a few raised eyebrows

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm King
    Try a L-L catapult, that usually causes a few raised eyebrows
    Oh yeah, something I've done before actually when demoing....really have to think about that one. Tried a left to left handed comb? Or maybe start a L-L pretzel?

Thread Information