View Poll Results: What hand do you use most?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Right-handed male

24 23.53%
  • Right-handed female

31 30.39%
  • Left-handed male

14 13.73%
  • Left-handed female

8 7.84%
  • Ambidextrous male

12 11.76%
  • Ambidextrous female

6 5.88%
  • Three-handed mysterious dancer...

7 6.86%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Handedness

An Eclectic Toaster

Handedness

What's the statistical breakdown amongst the Forum crowd, and as a general topic, does anyone think it makes a difference? As a lefty myself I'd definitely say it does - am I the only guy here who does (left arm) shoulder-rolls on a return?

Or is that nothing to do with handedness, and more about me trying to show off ? :sorry

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Interesting question...

As men can use both hands, I wonder if they favour right-handed moves etc...

What about women, they have to use their right hand! Does that make a difference if you are left handed? Do you find you use your spare hand to create style effects more often / easily?

I had never thought of that aspect before, so keep the statistical data coming, we might be breaking new grounds.

As for the shoulder roll, well, it is a hard move regardless of which hand you use... What about the right-handed archiespin? I know most men hate it... though I suspect it is a feet problem rather than a hand one.

Franck.

The Oracle
    Originally posted by Franck
    What about women, they have to use their right hand!
    I sometimes lead basic moves (eg yoyo) with the lady's right hand. I usually get a smile for a couple of moves, but then her left hand comes back out, and a look on her face implying "That was different, now go back to leading normally!".

Another fun one is leading a move in reverse ie from the end to the beginning. It looks and feels better if you do the move normally first.

Of course both of these variations shouldn't be tried with a beginner, or with someone you have never danced with before, or to fast music. They can get very confusing both to lead and follow, and quite often they lady will not be set up to go where you want her. And don't spend the whole song doing it - it loses the effect.

One thing I have never managed to do is lead a mirror image of a basic move eg a yoyo with my left hand, her right hand, going to my left side.

David

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by DavidB
    I sometimes lead basic moves (eg yoyo) with the lady's right hand. I usually get a smile for a couple of moves, but then her left hand comes back out, and a look on her face implying "That was different, now go back to leading normally!".
    Assuming you mean her left hand, then yes, that can be fun, for a change... Though I suspect more from our perspective than theirs...

Another fun one is leading a move in reverse ie from the end to the beginning. It looks and feels better if you do the move normally first.
    Yes, I like that, though the effort in thinking backwards is significant and takes away from your partner's enjoyment of the concept, especially if she ends up with a dislocated shoulder in the process

One thing I have never managed to do is lead a mirror image of a basic move eg a yoyo with my left hand, her right hand, going to my left side.

David
    For this, you would need to take your partners left hand in your left, and then lead 10 times more than usual :sorry
    It can be done, when the music slow and you are feeling bored (don't tell your partner that though :reallymad

Franck.

The Oracle
    Sorry Franck - I was getting her left and right hand mixed up. My wife usually says the right hand and the wrong hand.

David

Re: Handedness

Originally posted by Stuart M
    am I the only guy here who does (left arm) shoulder-rolls on a return?

Or is that nothing to do with handedness, and more about me trying to show off ? :sorry
    Could you describe this move please Stuart...especially if it good to show off!

An Eclectic Toaster

Re: Re: Handedness

Originally posted by jiveoholic

Could you describe this move please Stuart...especially if it good to show off!
    It's not really a move per se, just that as your partner comes out of a return, you bring your arm over hers (as if trying to trap her hand in your armpit) and roll your shoulder as you step back out to the usual position. It gets a good reaction if you've done it well but a bad one if her hand gets too close to the armpit . And be careful with that elbow!

I doubt if it can be done on a right handed return, never tried, but the lady being on her right hand too would make it awkward I guess. Of course, you could try it in a mirror position, right hand to her left - hold on, I'm getting confused now

Maybe I've got the wrong name for it?

Blog Entries

Re: Re: Re: Handedness

It's not really a move per se, just that as your partner comes out of a return, you bring your arm over hers (as if trying to trap her hand in your armpit) and roll your shoulder as you step back out to the usual position.
    Wow, now I'm confused... I'll admit, I have no idea what you mean there...
    I am teaching tonight in Glasgow, so maybe you can show me what you mean if you are going to be there!

Franck.

The Oracle

It's not really a move per se, just that as your partner comes out of a return, you bring your arm over hers (as if trying to trap her hand in your armpit) and roll your shoulder as you step back out to the usual position.
    At first I thought you meant a comb, but then had horrible visions of you combing the hair under your arms...

Then I realised what you mean (I think). I've heard it called an arm loop or shoulder loop.
    As the girl finishes the return, you don't allow her to step back immediately. As you lower your hand, you bend your arm, and lift your elbow above her arm. You place her hand on your shoulder, let go and finish like a comb.
    The whole thing should take 3 jive beats (vs 2 for a normal return).

It is a cute move, but very easy to break the lady's nose.

Any time you bring your elbows up for moves like these, you should try rotating your body away, or stepping away from her. That will keep her arm straight. and give you enough room. The worst thing you can do is step into her, or pull her into you.

Definitely a move that should be taught, and not just tried because you see someone else doing it.

David

An Eclectic Toaster

Re: Re: Re: Re: Handedness

Then I realised what you mean (I think). I've heard it called an arm loop or shoulder loop.

Definitely a move that should be taught, and not just tried because you see someone else doing it.
    Yup, that's the thing I meant David. Your description's a heck of a lot better, thanks.

And the remark about having to be taught it in a class is spot on - I dragged Mairi off the dance floor one night to run through it several times. Without some direct coaching I'd never have worked it out (I'll leave it to those wonderful Glasgow ladies on the Forum to judge whether I have! )

But to get back to the thread, it's a move I'd imagine righties find pretty tough.

As to shoulder rolls, Franck, you'll have to teach them sometime, then I might know what I'm talking about (assuming such a move exists - sounds like it should!). But not tonight - the world's biggest club football match is taking place a stone's throw from my house. Trying to get out of/back into the Hampden area will be a bit too awkward tonight!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Handedness

I'll leave it to those wonderful Glasgow ladies on the Forum to judge whether I have! )

I admit that it was slightly confusing on the first couple of encounters but I'm used to it now and you score a 10/10!

Jayne

Stuart,

just noticed that your poll lacks an option for the "secret third hand". someone (nameless so far...) threatened to use his last night.... The mind boggled.

Jayne

(PS how many more posts do I need??? )

Blog Entries

The third hand!

Originally posted by Jayne
    just noticed that your poll lacks an option for the "secret third hand". someone (nameless so far...) threatened to use his last night.... The mind boggled.
    Wow, you do seem to get some interesting dances and offers, I wonder what you answered !?
    Maybe he was talking about the ankle spin?

(PS how many more posts do I need??? )
    How many more for What?
    Unless you mean to get to be admitted to the Secret Order of the Third Hand (SOTH), the initiation ceremony is not for the faint-hearted, so is the secret hand-shake

Franck.

Re: The third hand!

How many more for What?
    Unless you mean to get to be admitted to the Secret Order of the Third Hand (SOTH), the initiation ceremony is not for the faint-hearted, so is the secret hand-shake

Franck.
    To regain fourth position in the top ten ahead of Stuart....

It's my first day back (have I mentioned I've been on holiday) and posting on the forum is more interesting than work...

Jayne

Blog Entries

Re: Re: The third hand!

To regain fourth position in the top ten ahead of Stuart....

It's my first day back (have I mentioned I've been on holiday) and posting on the forum is more interesting than work...

Jayne
    You are doing pretty well so far, but you are still 1 post behind Stuart... It serves you right for taking a holiday and coming back with such an ostentatious tan!
    The least you could have done was find an internet cafŽ at your resort and keep up with the Ceroc Forum!
    After all, that's what I did on my last holiday!

I don't know, some people have no sense of commitment

Franck.

Re: Re: Re: The third hand!

You are doing pretty well so far, but you are still 1 post behind Stuart... It serves you right for taking a holiday and coming back with such an ostentatious tan!
    The least you could have done was find an internet cafŽ at your resort and keep up with the Ceroc Forum!
    After all, that's what I did on my last holiday!

I don't know, some people have no sense of commitment

Franck.
    How could I? That would mean going inside a building and I had a tan to work on!!!

Promise next time I'll show greater commitment!

Jayne

An Eclectic Toaster

re: Jayne's holiday

Hey, can you two take it elsewhere? I was hoping this thread would be about hands, not tans Not that I'm jealous of the holiday or anything.

Too many spurious posts on my thread - go pollute someone elses

Anyway, this additional spurious post (don't worry, not payed for by the taxpayer, Heather!) was just the excuse to show off my new avatar. Hope it raises a smile...

Sorry Stuart!

Handedness....

A couple of weeks ago I was brave enough to do the beginner's class as a man. I'm right handed and (obviously) I'm used to dancing with my right hand. Now I don't know if it was having to remember to "catch" with a specific hand or whether it was having to use my left hand that was the problem but I did find it harder leading with a left hand than a right. (Of course the tan might make a difference if I tried being a man again... )

Does this answer your question??

Jayne

Re: re: Jayne's holiday

Anyway, this additional spurious post (don't worry, not payed for by the taxpayer, Heather!) was just the excuse to show off my new avatar. Hope it raises a smile...

Jayne

Blog Entries

Ok, thanks for showing me what you meant last Monday. I have to say, that while I remember seeing a few guys doing it in London, I had never tried it myself. In fact trying it a couple of times last Monday, proved I was pretty unable to do it. I guess I'll have to practice a bit more. :sorry
    I think it is a pretty cool style addition, like a shoulder comb?
    Not great with sweaty armpits I suspect though (saying that the Comb is not great with a sweaty neck either).

Franck.

Thread Information