Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blackpool Judging - I thought it was OK

The Forum Legend
    I'm not sure that I like the judges moving around either. For a few reasons.

Firstly, in a competition, I guess that you're performing mainly for the judges. So, if you don't know where they are, it makes that more difficult.

Secondly, it makes it harder for the judges to see what's going on all the time. Ideally, they should be able to see all the competitors all the time (although, obviously they will be watching one couple at any given time). Which is a lot harder if they are down at eye level on the other side of the dance floor.

Thirdly, it can be slightly more obtrusive for the competitiors - having other people wandering around the dance floor.

I think that it isn't a good idea though, having the judges on the other side of the floor from the audience. At Blackpool, for the showcase, all the judges sat at the second 'platform' in amongst the audience. Is there any reason why they couldn't judge everything from there??

Steve

Commercial Operator
    Hi Steve,
    Good points!
    The reason they cannot stay there is the comfort factor. Behind the stage there are toilets, drinks & food, with such a tight time schedule they require as many home comforts as possible & as close to hand as possible.
    With 8 hours of judging I think being perched on a mini stage in with the audience may become a little stifling.

Keith

Originally posted by Stuart M
    Downside of that though, is that it makes the judging intrusive for the spectators. At least with the judges being static, those of us who don't really have a clue about judging can simply enjoy watching the competitors, without being constantly "aware" that judging is going on.
    Whilst I agree with this, I think it is the lesser of the 2 evils. I'd rather have the judges walking around the edge of the floor (so they don't get in the way of the competitors) and only occasionally block your view of the dances (never if you are above ground level) and not have the competitors doing all there big moves with there backs to you.

I also think that as it's a freestyle competition it should be made to ressemble normal freestyle as much as possible. And as in freestyle you are constantly facing different directions, I think it's a little artificial and inhibitive to the dancers to keep having to face a certain direction when doing their moves.

After all, these judges are getting paid loads of cash as it is, I'm sure they can haul themselves around the dance floor now and then.

Originally posted by Will
    After all, these judges are getting paid loads of cash as it is,
    How else do you think I got to the final of the Lucky Dip?

Originally posted by Will
    How else do you think I got to the final of the Lucky Dip?
    Well actually, I thought you'd done it by promising to set them up with the Wongster...

Dave

Commercial Operator
    Whilst I agree with this, I think it is the lesser of the 2 evils. I'd rather have the judges walking around the edge of the floor (so they don't get in the way of the competitors) and only occasionally block your view of the dances (never if you are above ground level) and not have the competitors doing all there big moves with there backs to you.

Hi Will, this is my personal view & not a company stance.
    When I danced at Hammersmith where the judges were walking round I felt there were two problems.
    1. I was only ever performing to one or two judges at a time, as they circled the floor, which made placing more spectacular moves an almost impossible task. You could never create the situation where you had almost all of the judges attention at the same time, whether I had my back to them or not, would have mattered less, than trying to pull out move after move so each Judge could see a reasonable combination as they circled the floor.
    It got to the point that I had no Idea who had seen me & who hadn't?
    2. The above then upsets the flow of the dance & breaks the dancers concentration, making the dance more stunted.

This obviously led to my not winning a thing!
    Keith

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Gus
    [

Definitely off topic so no doubt we can re-run the old arguments in the 'DJ Den'? [/B]
    I am so proud of myself for figuring out how to quote.

Where is the DJ Den and do you let girlies in???????

The Forum Legend
    Nope.

No girlies.

DJing is for real men only.

Waits for the flames

Steve

Blog Entries
    not even to sit at your feet and swoon for the duration of the performance and thereafter to dust and put everything back into alphabetical order within sub-genres (except compilations have to be chronological I know, I know) while phoning for pizza and lager?

No flames, bellicosity does not become the fairer sex.

Originally posted by Gus

BUT ... tell me how having to dance with you more than once could be anything other than a pure delight????
    Oh Gus, it's so obvious you've never danced with me if you need to ask that question

But I promise I'll be gentle with you!

DVx

The Forum Legend
    I'm not even going to dare to respond to that one Chicklet. I have at least some idea of self-preservation left.

Do I know you??

Steve

Blog Entries
    FEARTIE.

No, you don't know me........ but I know you. We exchanged a jocular pleasantry on Saturday but mostly I was frightfully well behaved due to an overwhelming desire to cry with delight on finding that such an event and group of people existed. One just wishes one had had the foresight to carry a watermelon

Delight obviously tinged with aforememntioned dismay that for 16 hours they played neither Joe Turner nor the stunning uptempo Sam Cooke version of Tennessee Waltz (in car track of the week) that I was gagging for.

Do you think you know me?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Keith

Hi Will, this is my personal view & not a company stance.
    When I danced at Hammersmith where the judges were walking round I felt there were two problems.
    1. I was only ever performing to one or two judges at a time, as they circled the floor, which made placing more spectacular moves an almost impossible task. You could never create the situation where you had almost all of the judges attention at the same time, whether I had my back to them or not, would have mattered less, than trying to pull out move after move so each Judge could see a reasonable combination as they circled the floor.
    It got to the point that I had no Idea who had seen me & who hadn't?
    2. The above then upsets the flow of the dance & breaks the dancers concentration, making the dance more stunted. [/B]
    It was only after the competition that someone told me that the judges expect you to dance at them, smile at them, do moves towards them etc.. What you say confirms this is the norm, but I certainly had no idea this was the case. I wish someone had told me as Ive never danced 'for' anyone before and Im generally unaware of whats going on around me (up to a point, i know when other dancers are in my 'space' obviously). Can I use this as an excuse for not getting through the 1st round .

The Forum Legend
    FEARTIE.
    Who??
    No, you don't know me........ but I know you.
    Ooooh. This sounds scary!!
    One just wishes one had had the foresight to carry a watermelon
    Ummm. Is this some bizarre Scottish ritual that I don't know about?!?
    Delight obviously tinged with aforememntioned dismay that for 16 hours they played neither Joe Turner nor the stunning uptempo Sam Cooke version of Tennessee Waltz (in car track of the week) that I was gagging for.
    Did you go and ask anyone to play it??
    Do you think you know me?
    Ummm. Nope. Don't think so. There were quite a few Scottish people there that I didn't know. You'll have to say hello next time I'm in Glasgow...

Steve

The Original Scooby Dave Hancock's Avatar
    Steve,

Are you trying to say people down south don't carry watermelon's - like hello, how crazy are you and what do you carry instead?

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Chicklet

Where is the DJ Den and do you let girlies in???????
    Hi Chicklet and welcome to the forum....
    The DJ booth is found near the bottom of the main menu......and since you are a lover of Big Joe Turner, and that genre of music, you are indeed welcome to join in....I need as much help as I can get converting Gus into a real jive fan just be careful you don't get infected by his club music bug
    DD

The Oracle

Dancing to the judges

It was only after the competition that someone told me that the judges expect you to dance at them
    Sorry - don't think you should have to do this.

In showcase, you should dance to the audience, and the judges should be part of the audience. We have done competitions where there were 4 judges on the stage, and about 500 people surrounding the other 3 sides of the floor. We danced to the audience. Fortunately this seems to be changing - the judges seem to be placed at the front of the audience now.

In freestyle I think you should dance to the music, and present it to the audience. The judges should be irrelevant - you shouldn't base when to do a 'flash' move on who might be watching. Personally I'm not going to change a fundamental part of my dancing (ie trying to dance to the music) for the benefit of someone who is getting paid to watch me. But then again I couldn't care less how far I get in a freestyle comp - I do it for fun.

I understand about the judges getting tired - all of them looked worn out by the end of the day. Do they all judge every single round? I would have thought you could have a rota for the rounds, and get them all to judge the final.

David

Blog Entries

Re: Dancing to the judges

Originally posted by DavidB
    Sorry - don't think you should have to do this.

In freestyle I think you should dance to the music, and present it to the audience. The judges should be irrelevant - you shouldn't base when to do a 'flash' move on who might be watching.
    David
    I take your point, but they aren't mutually exclusive!

I guess it's human nature to look back at the people who are looking at you. And if the judges are in one direction, the audience in the other, when you pull off a big move your back will always be to one or the other category. (Hence much of the above discussion.)

I would say that it can be effective - I managed to get some of the judges to smile back at me during some of the rounds. I think the difference it can make is in projecting your performance energy outwards (if that makes sense). As you say, it depends how seriously you want to take the competition - and working the crowd can be brilliant too

....re music - thought Jon Brett's set at the end was awesome..

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by TheTramp
    [B
    Ummm. Is this some bizarre Scottish ritual that I don't know about?!?

It's perhaps the ultimate naff throwaway chick flick reference that I'm sure most of the girls at least will recognise???

Did you go and ask anyone to play it??

I was far too much in awe of all the fantastic dancers to move very much from my seat let alone ask for music!! Maybe next year if I practice every night between now and then I will be brave enough to ask for something and actually be able to do it justice on the floor!!

[/B]

Thread Information