Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blackpool Judging - I thought it was OK

B.T.C.
    Well................I have to agree with most of the comments that on the whole the judges did pretty well and that's a very long day for them to watch and mark so thanks to them.

As Gus said, I'm still not sure what they are looking for but only a few quibbles eg the couple in white in the Intermediate final should have been placed I think and it's quite clear that the warm up track is used for judging - and this makes sense but this should be made clear.

But........as Steve pointed out I only saw 1 judge pass me in the second round of DWAS and someone did comment that in my round they were almost all round the other side and I was dancing with the superb Rachel who is already absolutely fantastic and will undoubtedly be a real star in the near future ( so I can already say I danced with her !! ).

DWAS is the one comp ( like Lucky Dip in London ) that I never understand because I saw a few couples dancing really well together who didn't progress and were (IMHO) much better than a few of the couples in the final. I think about 6 couples went through from the round before mine but looked as if only about 2 or 3 went through from my round.

But.........no problems with the music.......some great tracks, great organisation, some wonderful dancers, great competition and how on earth can CTD team improve on that ??????? Congrats to Tony for a great job of hosting and to Keith and all the team for a wonderful day.

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Bill
    DWAS is the one comp (like Lucky Dip in London) that I never understand because I saw a few couples dancing really well together who didn't progress and were (IMHO) much better than a few of the couples in the final. I think about 6 couples went through from the round before mine but looked as if only about 2 or 3 went through from my round.
    Hi Guys,
    Sorry not been around for a couple of days, so I may have missed a lot.
    For me, no matter whose competition it is, the DT TAC DWaS, whatever you want to call it, is the only round where any dancer can get involved no matter how good. This I always take in the spirit it was set up in. The organisers, us included try to fit as many people in as possible, so they can be involved in the day, without having to worry too much about their performances.
    Unfortunately this always leaves the judges with an exceptionally difficult task.
    We only have a few options;
    Add another 1/2 hour to the competition, I think it was long enough anyway.
    Get another 5 or 6 judges, not cost effective.
    Cut the numbers down, defeats the objective re allowing lots of people to enter the competition & have fun.
    The other rounds are there for the serious dancers.
    I hope this makes sense.
    I should also have finished by tonight the answers to some of your other main points.
    Keep on dancing
    Keith

Originally posted by Keith
    N.B. Anybody making comments; please think them through to their conclusion, the impact they may have & consequences to other areas. ‘Didn’t like the music’ for example is purely personal & a request list with a 1000 plus requests on it, from every dancer in the room still wouldn’t work either. Only an example.
    Thanks again
    Keith
    Just on this point Keith, I think the comment that was made earlier was really just down to the fact that if you think of what 'Jive' music means to most people (especially non dancers) they do think of old fashioned Jive/Rock and Roll and really there was very little of it during the whole event.

DV x

Originally posted by Dancing Veela
    if you think of what 'Jive' music means to most people (especially non dancers) they do think of old fashioned Jive/Rock and Roll and really there was very little of it during the whole event.

DV x
    Sorry ... can't resist

....and that is why we do Modern Jive and don't have to wear DA's or winkle pickers ...... Ceroc music should be MODERN! RocknRoll is DEAD! Long Live Chart/Club music!!
    Last edited by Gus; 5th-March-2003 at 06:42 PM.

Originally posted by Gus
    [B]Sorry ... can't resist

....and that is why we do [b]Modern Jive and don't have to wear DA's or winkle pickers ...... Ceroc music should be MODERN! RocknRoll is DEAD! Long Live Chart/Club music!!
    Then let's change the title of the event to 'UK Open Modern Jive Championships'

P.S. you owe me two dances now Gus!!!!

Fair comment!

BUT ... tell me how having to dance with you more than once could be anything other than a pure delight????

The couple in white were outclassed in the first round by a couple in round 1 who didnt progress in silver (I'm biased) - I was delighted for the silver medalists in the intermediate category thu - they danced with a lot of passion & pleasure - thats why I dance - f-u-n...

Anyway it's all a great occassion....

G

who is gonna stop Sherif winning dwas..?

Originally posted by Graham W

Well ... not taking anything away from the guy ... in three comps I've seen him end up with three advanced or near advanced dance partners .... HOW DOES HE DO IT?????

Commercial Operator
    The couple in white were outclassed in the first round by a couple in round 1 who didnt progress in silver (I'm biased) - I was delighted for the silver medalists in the intermediate category thu - they danced with a lot of passion & pleasure - thats why I dance - f-u-n...

Anyway it's all a great occassion....

G

When you have that much luck on your side nobody ever will!
    His partner was fantastic & worked very well with the master of lead & follow.
    Keith

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Gus
    RocknRoll is DEAD!

WANNA BET!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Dance Demon
    WANNA BET!!!!!!!
    Yo Demon ... my man! .....thought that line might provoke some response

Definitely off topic so no doubt we can re-run the old arguments in the 'DJ Den'?

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Gus
    Yo Demon ... my man! .....thought that line might provoke some response

Definitely off topic so no doubt we can re-run the old arguments in the 'DJ Den'?
    Sounds good to me

I did not win TAC on Saturday

( I am plugging Sheriff for some tips...the man is brilliant on the Dance with a Stanger )

...boo hoo but apart from my trophy winning kebab exploits with Elliot and Della on Saturday night, there is one prize I would like to win namely that i guessed correctly the outcome of the Advanced competition...Will can verify this.

I think I deserve a £5 WH SMiths token or something. Or a decent kebab.........Grrrr I spent so much time on the bog in Blackpool Tower and I didn't even get up to the top!!!!Or partake in the tea!

Scouse Mouse

PS well done Mr Geary and Lilly ...you were truly amazing and have taken the dance on to a different level..and congrats to my mates Elliott and Della! You blew me away ( I don't mean the kebab) and I thought your first round was breathtaking...brilliant.

Hard luck Janine and Clayton, you were brilliant.

And as for my mate Debstar...........baby, you shone!!! And those shoes....!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elliot, let's hit Crigglestone...it's obviously a great training place... again....hehehehe

By the way Lampert...you were so funny it was unfair!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    The couple in white were outclassed in the first round by a couple in round 1 who didnt progress in silver (I'm biased)
    Thought we were the only ones in silver

The Forum Legend
    By the way Lampert...you were so funny it was unfair!
    Thank you. But it's MR. Lampert to you

Steve

An Eclectic Toaster
    I'm surprised no-one has yet mentioned what was clearly the most outrageous decision of the competition...the failure of the "St. Trinian's" Double Trouble team to get to the final. Instead we got two rugby players and a drag act

OK, so maybe there were better dancers, but where I was sitting, half the audience really didn't care...

Seriously though, the decisions seemed OK. My only quibble was, the judges were viewing most of the competitions from a different angle from the rest of us. Maybe this explains some of the mysteries?

Originally posted by Stuart M
    My only quibble was, the judges were viewing most of the competitions from a different angle from the rest of us. Maybe this explains some of the mysteries?
    A good point. The aim of the competitors is to 'show' their dancing to the judges. In all other competitions, the judges are in the same vicinity as the audience so the dancers are also dancing to them aswell. At C2D you are in the unusual situation of having to keep your back to the audience of you want to try to project to the judges panel ...... don't think thats such a good thing.

Blog Entries
    I agree with much of what is being said about the judging. I think it was fair, with a few decisions I didn't wholly agree with (although all in the right 'ball-park').

I think the problem with judging criteria lies in the very nature of modern jive. IMHO one of the strengths of modern jive is that there are almost as many acceptable styles as there are dancers - from the bouncier 'jivier' dancers, to 'ballroom/latin' style dancers, to funkier 'hip-hop' style dancers. You can more or less borrow/import moves from every style of dance ever created. And you can modern jive to almost any kind of music.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm not sure it can be possible to be more 'scientific' about judging - there is always going to be a big subjective element in deciding between dancers who are otherwise matched. I certainly wouldn't fancy the job!

Yeah, what Gus and Divissima said.

I think it's better when the judges are constantly moving around the dance floor like at Hammersmith. Gives them a chance to see more of the competitors close up.

An Eclectic Toaster
    Originally posted by Will
    Yeah, what Gus and Divissima said.

I think it's better when the judges are constantly moving around the dance floor like at Hammersmith. Gives them a chance to see more of the competitors close up.
    Downside of that though, is that it makes the judging intrusive for the spectators. At least with the judges being static, those of us who don't really have a clue about judging can simply enjoy watching the competitors, without being constantly "aware" that judging is going on.

Personally my preference would be for static judges, but in a position more related to the audience. And if there's an issue with, say, loud cheering near the judging podium influencing the result , split the judges into 2 or even 3 groups.

Thread Information