Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Blackpool Judging - I thought it was OK

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Graham W
    ....re music - thought Jon Brett's set at the end was awesome...
    I'll second that ...by the way does anyone know what the last dance track was that he played before he played Perfect Day?
    He did tell me but I forgot:sorry (having one of those senior moments ) It sounded a bit like Sam Cooke, and had some nice brass sections in it.

Unfortunately I could not make Blackpool. I have done DWAS at the Le Jive comp twice. The first time I spent the warm-up showing my partner my hot moves, and so got eliminated in 30 sec, the time taken for the judge to get around the dance floor to me, looking where she was going, not at us. So I sympathise with
    "If you are going to have a warm-up dance, then it should be just that. It shouldn't be judged"
    The next year my partner said "I wish I had not entered this, get us out of it as soon as possible." We lasted 50 seconds that time.
    " A friend of mine was 'tapped through' in the first round of the TAC after he'd done one move." Last year at the Ceroc champs I picked two of the top three before the music started, so I can understand the judges saving time.
    If my memory serves me right I was one of those that suggested the format of TAC be changed from "Tap out" to "Tap through". I would be interested to hear opinions on this format.

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by bigdjiver
    If my memory serves me right I was one of those that suggested the format of TAC be changed from "Tap out" to "Tap through". I would be interested to hear opinions on this format.
    A much better idea as it means everyone gets a whole song even if they don't make the second round.

My only 'problem' is that it's clear by the time it took some judges to tap a few couples that they had been judging the 'warm up' round as I heard that some folk went through after only a couple of moves. The other issue I always feel is that it is easier to recognise dancers the judges know or know are good so it might be easier to look for those 'well known' faces and even if they don't dance as well as they can they might still go through.

I'm not suggesting that this happened but with the time the judges have it might be possible to allow a dancer through knowing he or she is very good even though they might have had a mediocre round.

However, I've already said that I agree with most of the decisions this year although having just discussed some judging decisions with a freind there are still some questions I'd gave regrading the judging criteria eg can couples lose marks and if so how ?? Would a couple be disqualified if the woman has both feet off the floor or just lose marks ? If a couple are apart for more than 8 beats are they automatically disqualified ??

In any of the events would couples lose marks for clearly choreographed moves ?? The criteria certainly helps but I'm still not sure whether costumes are really important or where you can gain the 'extra' marks to do really well.

However, as I've said .it was a great day and the judges must have been exhausted at the end of the comps.....

The Oracle
    Originally posted by bigdjiver
    Last year at the Ceroc champs I picked two of the top three before the music started, so I can understand the judges saving time.
    I can understand this - I was dancing next to Sherif at Blackpool, and my first thought was 'Ok, who is going to come second?' But the judges should be very conscious of ensuring it is a dance competition, not a reputation competition. (From what I saw, I think they managed to do this very well.)

You might very well come to exactly the same conclusion at the end of the song as you had at the start. It just makes everyone feel they have a fair chance if the judges delay their taps to the end of the song. And it means the audience get to see the best dancers for longer.

David

Thread Information