Thread: Peter Osgood

Peter Osgood

For those who dont know him he was a rather good Chelsea player in the early 70s who then went on to play for Southampton

He died yesterday at the age of 59

I saw him a lot as a kid with my dad down at Chelsea,when i heard about his death I was going to phone my dad but after a second remember he died 4 years ago and that was a odd expereince

I spoke to Peter Osgood at Waterstones last year when he was signing a book he seemed a nice chap

The point to this is

A) So many people talk about the 'Average' age people die 70/72 for men or 76ish for women and I forget sometimes thats a 'average' and people do of course die younger

But it was still a shock that he died at 59 !

b) Has anyone had an expereince where something happened and for a second or so they were going to phone or contact someone who they 'forgot' was no longer on this dear Earth

Ive decided not to get stressed over the KL thread lifes too short

Re: Peter Osgood

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    I saw him a lot as a kid with my dad down at Chelsea,when i heard about his death I was going to phone my dad but after a second remember he died 4 years ago and that was a odd expereince
    Wow. Sympathy. That must have been very odd.
    Quite right. Wooden spoon award to me.

Yeah, I remember seeing him play the first time, was it at Man City?, against Leeds in the mud. Headed a goal. My Dad dragged me along and started me off as a Chelski supporter. When I saw the news, couldn't believe he'd only played four times for England, my memories going as I was sure it was more than that. Very sad he was so relatively young.

I saw Peter Osgood at Stamford Bridge in the early 70s - Chelsea Vs Man Utd. Chelsea won. My dad took me along and I remember that he wouldn't let me wear a Man U rosette for fear of us getting in a fight. (No cheap jokes, I was born in Manchester and my dad's whole family was from Manchester).

It must have been weird to have been on the brink of picking up the phone to your father only to realise that he's gone. That must have been a very strange feeling - closeness and loss combined in one moment. My dad died two years ago. Almost every day I think "I wish I could ask Mike about this" or "Mike would know the answer to that" but I've not actually gone to telephone him.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    People are getting stressed over the KL thread?

I regularly have this phenomenon with my Grandad. He died about 10 years ago and was very proud of everything I did. So I always told him about my greatest moments. Nowadays, on those rare occasions I do something clever or, as is more often the case, my children do something clever, I still have this urge to call my grandad and tell him. And that thought is a nice warm one as I think of my grandad and remember what a great person he was

Thread Information