Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aylesbury Beginners only

Measuring up patio to see if neighbour will fit under it

Re: Aylesbury Beginners only

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly
    I'm sure thats not what Coralie meant.

Surely shes just saying that for the first few weeks there will only be beginners lessons?

Yeah i can't wait at last i get to dance in my own town and i don't even need to take the car it's so close. Coralie is doing the first two weeks for beginners she will be having two beginners classes for the first two weeks. They will be doing a demo this saturday from 2 til 4 in the Frairs Square shopping centre so if anyone is around come along it will be fun

We had Ceroc Chilterns here a few years ago but it didn't last long which was very dissapointing. So fingers crossed it will be a big hit this time around in this boring ol town of mine. Well done Coralie hope to see some of you on Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38

Ok I can take 3 people in my new car up the A41, must be 35 forumties that live with 25 miles of Aylesbury. who is game PM me

Just imagine Stew, if you came on your own you could come round for a coffee at mine after

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    As far as I can tell what a new venue needs is a small group of experienced dancers who are prepared to go along week after week because they actually like the place and they're happy to dance with people who are quite new and people they don't know, without making a big fuss about it. As far as I can tell, what a new venue doesn't need is a massive influx of top dancers who come just for one week, from 200 miles around, who are all friends with each other, all dance with each other (just because they want to dance with friends, not for any bad motive) and who intimidate the hell out of local people, making the contrast with the weeks following, when they're back at their usual haunts, all too apparent.

You know what I had 152PMs . Im going to have to tell they cant come

Looks like its just me and Dee with 9 in the car ?

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

You know what I had 152PMs
    Must be the way you tell'em...

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As far as I can tell what a new venue needs is a small group of experienced dancers who are prepared to go along week after week because they actually like the place and they're happy to dance with people who are quite new and people they don't know, without making a big fuss about it. As far as I can tell, what a new venue doesn't need is a massive influx of top dancers who come just for one week, from 200 miles around, who are all friends with each other, all dance with each other (just because they want to dance with friends, not for any bad motive) and who intimidate the hell out of local people, making the contrast with the weeks following, when they're back at their usual haunts, all too apparent.
    Now that's what I call a detailed hypothetical example...

But, yes

If its marketed for begineers thats fine and good.

A 'new venue' could be aimed at intermediate and advanced , maybe with no classes . If someone knows one let us know ,i know they exist ?

Hemel a 'new venue' had a beginners and intermediate class thats what it was aimed at.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

If its marketed for begineers thats fine and good.

A 'new venue' could be aimed at intermediate and advanced , maybe with no classes . If someone knows one let us know ,i know they exist ?
    There's Monday Lush, and the Advanced night at the Jive Bar on Thursdays, as far as I know that's it around London/South East

I had 1 1/2 years of keeping a small group of 'improvers' 'ticking over' - we couldn't improve any more with no classes and couldn't get beginners along. Now there are weekly classes and we have loads of beginners.

From that experience I would say that a new venue initially works with beginners and several slightly more experienced dancers to encourage and help the beginners. The key is encouraging them and getting them dancing on the beat.

The need for even more experienced dancers IMO comes when there are enough dancers reaching intermediate level. Then more experienced dancers coming to a venue can help those intermediates begin to understand style, musicality etc. And this is not just achieved by dancing with the new intermediates but also the new intermediates getting to observe more experienced dancers dancing together.

Just had a fab afternoon busking in Friars Square for Coralie Lots of people seemed interested in coming along to the new venue so lets hope Thursday will be a real success, hope to see some of you there plus i will be having a go at taxiing Coralie and her team did a really great dance routine well done you guys of all the busking i have done i have never seen that done before Lets hope some fun is brought to this little town of mine

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dee
    Coralie and her team did a really great dance routine well done you guys of all the busking i have done i have never seen that done before
    Pah, that's nothing, I bet you didn't do the special "Drop the DJ on her backside in front of everyone" move, did you? Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    Pah, that's nothing, I bet you didn't do the special "Drop the DJ on her backside in front of everyone" move, did you? Huh?

DJ, if you were there i may of been tempted

Firstly good luck to the venue, i wont go if its aimed at beginners
    your loss

Ive never know any new venue that has ever open that is aimed at just beginners
    CMJ has a couple of beginner focused venues which are a grand sucess

Ive never know any 'new venue' where the majority of people who turn up are beginners
    intermediate dancers do not spring fully formed from one lesson

Went to the opening night last night, was really great think it will be a huge success. I was on the door the first half of the night and counted in 80 people which was a good turn out for a first night here. Nice to see my lovely sis and Mikeyr and a huge supprise to see Mr Darcy never knew he worked in my town. Most people that turned up were beginners but some already had some moves put together very well. Great music great company and great to have dancing in my town, well done Coralie

Went to Aylesbury last night with Mikeyr where as kids we grew up. brought back many dodgy memories to us both.

Arrived at Corolies opening night thinking it would be empty but was suprised that there were over a hundred people there. I am glad it went well for her

Good to see Dee and Mr Darcy there too!

Music was ok but alot of really old stuff was played from the 60s which i used to dance with dad when i was a nipper.

Its also quite tricky to find as no banner is visible.

Had a nice time but as its so far away i wont be going again unless in the area visiting sis!

I wish Corolie and her team all the best in making this venue work

Just to report on the progress of Aylesbury jive.

It's still very much a beginners venue, but very enjoyable. They had their first improvers class tonight but most still felt they needed to stay in the beginners class which was a shame. They also had the first lindy hop class run by Andy Flemming, i joined in and it was really great fun he will be doing the Lindy class every Thursday if anyone was interested? hope to see some of you there, i will be the one on the door

Quote Originally Posted by dee
    Just to report on the progress of Aylesbury jive.

It's still very much a beginners venue, but very enjoyable. They had their first improvers class tonight but most still felt they needed to stay in the beginners class which was a shame. They also had the first lindy hop class run by Andy Flemming, i joined in and it was really great fun he will be doing the Lindy class every Thursday if anyone was interested? hope to see some of you there, i will be the one on the door
    Ahhhhhhh........dont believe it... If I had known you were there I would have come and said Hello...

popped in around 9.15 to see Andy, but didnt stay as I had someone with me.... (going to Torquay in June for Rockbottoms weekender)...

sorry I missed you.

Luv Jan

Oh no i didn't see you, i was in the main hall trying the improvers class as a man and failed big time ha ha.

See you soon

Dee xx

Thread Information