View Poll Results: Should teachers demo routines at the start of the class?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Demo weekly beginners classes at the start

51 73.91%
  • Don't demo weekly beginners classes at the start

9 13.04%
  • Demo weekly intermediate/advanced classes at the start

53 76.81%
  • Don't demo weekly intermediate/advanced classes at the start

8 11.59%
  • Demo classes at Weekenders at the start

45 65.22%
  • Don't demo classes at Weekenders at the start

4 5.80%
  • I like clicking on polls

15 21.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should teachers demo the routine before a class?

Donna

Re: Should teachers demo the routine before a class?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    I was thinking of Lily when I read that too. She would still look great and would probably make the lead look better than he is too.

That's because Lily is a very strong dancer. You might see a good dancer who is good with their partner, but if they happen to not look so good when dancing with someone else, then they're not.

I know a couple who are just fab, but when watching them dance with someone else, it's not the same.

I've seen even the wonderful fabulous Lily stumble and dance off-beat when being thrown around by a naughty lead - hope it didn't hurt too much! Even so, her style was still obvious - when she's with a good lead, I could watch her all night!

Donna

I've seen even the wonderful fabulous Lily stumble and dance off-beat when being thrown around by a naughty lead - hope it didn't hurt too much!
    Oh yeah of course you can still see when someone is a good dancer. Poor woman must have trying not to get her shoulders pulled out of place!

Even so, her style was still obvious - when she's with a good lead, I could watch her all night!
    Me too! I was watching her dance with someone up here in Northwich. (Think his name is Dave) I've danced with this guy before and he's just such an amazing lead. Lily danced with him a lot but they looked great together.

By the way Lily, do you want to swap wardrobes?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard
    What about their partners ?? Have they been completely subjucated and demeaned or have they been encouraged to rise to the challenge ??
    I think it's a combination of a few things:

"Terror" - OMG - this girl can dance... I don't know if I can do her justice...

"Elation" - I'm dancing with one of the best dancers, and she said yes; she wanted to dance with me

"Confusion" - Wow, that was reeeealy cool... I wonder how I led that?

"Panic" - What the hell are they doing? What the hell am I going to do after this move; I've used up all the ones I know?

"Bliss" - wooo - look how she moves when I do this; I bareley have to lead anything!

... does that add up to being subjucated or demeaned?

Quote Originally Posted by littleemc-central
    ...i can see the reasons people do want the class to be shown, but we dont, an thats the way it is, but with us you pretty much know what you are going to get every week.... a bit of everything!!!

(no body is to shout at me.....
    Not shouting, honest, but I don't really agree with the 'with us you pretty much know what you are going to get'.

Just take you and Marc for a start - both Ceroc Central teachers, both using the structure you mentioned, but you couldn't get intermediate routines that are more different.

Rachel x

PS hope you're feeling better now?

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    Not shouting, honest, but I don't really agree with the 'with us you pretty much know what you are going to get'.

Just take you and Marc for a start - both Ceroc Central teachers, both using the structure you mentioned, but you couldn't get intermediate routines that are more different.

Rachel x

PS hope you're feeling better now?

yes thats true when it comes to style, we are very different.
    BUT..... in terms of how hard the moves are.... we are giving the same....
    i.e we will both teach a beg variation, a classic.. and so on... so there is something there for everyone??? the moves are different, but there will be something in the routine for each level of dancer.

does tha make sense im not very good at putting thoughts into words sometimes!

im much better thank you... im riding the road to recovery quite smoothly now, and will deffo b at storm!

Donna

BUT..... in terms of how hard the moves are.... we are giving the same....
    i.e we will both teach a beg variation, a classic.. and so on... so there is something there for everyone??? the moves are different, but there will be something in the routine for each level of dancer.
    I agree. I've only ever done two advance classes up here (your lucky if you can get one) and I think everybody coped really well. Simply because there is something in it that everybody will be able to do plus it's all taught in the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    I've seen even the wonderful fabulous Lily stumble and dance off-beat when being thrown around by a naughty lead - hope it didn't hurt too much! Even so, her style was still obvious - when she's with a good lead, I could watch her all night!
    Of course if a lead is literally pulling the follow off balance then its impossible to look good even if you are a fabulous dancer. (And a good follow will probably adopt 'defensive' following to try and minimise any potential injury, over 'style' anyway. The really good followers can probably do both!)

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    Of course if a lead is literally pulling the follow off balance then its impossible to look good even if you are a fabulous dancer. (And a good follow will probably adopt 'defensive' following to try and minimise any potential injury, over 'style' anyway. The really good followers can probably do both!)

I don't think some guys know their own strength sometimes.

At my class last night, I asked if they preferred me to demo the routine before teaching it, and the majority said yes. Majority rules.

Here are my observations.

Some people in the class got exited about the routine and some looked disillusioned.

During the class, some people got impatient with others who couldn’t get the class quickly enough because they were holding them back from progressing and doing that fourth move they wanted to jump too.

Missed out one move because of time, so made an announced saying, as per demo, we are going to miss out one move but don’t worry because we’ll do it next week, three couples came over in freestyle asking to learn the move I missed out in the demo.

So, form your our conclusions. Is it really worth the trouble?

I’m sure if you look at individual cases, there could be compelling reason for it, but generally. Is it worth the trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Teeth
    At my class last night, I asked if they preferred me to demo the routine before teaching it, and the majority said yes. Majority rules.

Here are my observations....
    ~
    And what are your observations from a "normal" night? Hard to draw conclusions with nothing to compare against.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    And what are your observations from a "normal" night? Hard to draw conclusions with nothing to compare against.
    This was a "normal" weekly night... I teach there every thursday...

Some people in the class got exited about the routine and some looked disillusioned.
    Well, I guess the excited ones hadn't seen the routine/moves before -- the disillusioned ones might have been trepidatious about the complexity, or just wanted to learn some new stuff

During the class, some people got impatient with others who couldn’t get the class quickly enough because they were holding them back from progressing and doing that fourth move they wanted to jump too.
    Great you have some keen students? Also, sounds like some people were in a class that was too high a level.

Missed out one move because of time
    Well, from a punters perspective much better than finishing early -- or suddenly moving every one round lots just to fill in the time

so made an announced saying, as per demo, we are going to miss out one move but don’t worry because we’ll do it next week, three couples came over in freestyle asking to learn the move I missed out in the demo.
    This is always annoying as a punter when the missing move is the "interesting" one

Maybe easier to demo a shorter routine and then add the extra move that you *suddenly* have time for

I’m sure if you look at individual cases, there could be compelling reason for it, but generally. Is it worth the trouble?
    Yes, if you are teaching something that requires special skills --- drops / close moves, etc.

SpinDr.

This was a "normal" weekly night... I teach there every thursday...
    I meant how do the 'punters' normally react as you progress the routine? At the end of each move demmoed, are there some that are dissapointed? some excited?...etc.
    (I assume that you demo each move before teaching it - it's just the whole you normally don't.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    I meant how do the 'punters' normally react as you progress the routine? At the end of each move demmoed, are there some that are dissapointed? some excited?...etc.
    (I assume that you demo each move before teaching it - it's just the whole you normally don't.)

I Demo each move before I teach it yes, but not the whole routine. There is usually a quite smiley acceptance to the moves..

They said yes to the whole routine and that's what they got.

I think, generally most people just like to see a little show on stage. They like to see their teacher showing off and stuff because when I do a demo of the routine, it includes all the bells and whistles.

People usually help each other in the class. I haven't seen them be short with each other. I Think it down to the me as the teacher to make an executive decision as to which path I take on this.

I have to say, no surprise there then!

Yes.

If you've got people in your class who are finding it's at to low a level then you either have to increase the complexity of the class to cater for them or stick at the level you are at for the others. That depends on how many are finding that, I guess, and on the type/level of dancer you, as the teacher, wish to cater for.

Unless it's a beginners class, in which case you should be suggetsing some of them move up to intermediates.

But that has absolutely nothing to do with why you demo the moves and isn't a good reason for not demoing.

Andy

I think, generally most people just like to see a little show on stage. They like to see their teacher showing off and stuff because when I do a demo of the routine, it includes all the bells and whistles.
    Perhaps.
    Another question: assuming that the demo is done at the start of the class, should it be demmoed as it could be danced? Or should it be demmoed as it will (probably) be taught?
    (Is there a difference?)

I think that if the people want to see an exhibition, then give them one... the only problem may then be "you are going to teach me that?? I have no chance "

I think {that} it {is} down to the me as the teacher to make an executive decision as to which path I take on this.
    Personally, I think that one class is a bit narrow to make the descision on, especially if you see a strong argument against it.

At my class last night, I asked if they preferred me to demo the routine before teaching it, and the majority said yes. .........

Missed out one move because of time, so made an announced saying, as per demo, we are going to miss out one move but don’t worry because we’ll do it next week, three couples came over in freestyle asking to learn the move I missed out in the demo.

However, whilst I agree entirely with Viktor because that has been my personal experience, I also accept that other teachers' experience differ from ours and hence they prefer to demo their routine at the start of the class. to them too.

What I do not accept is other people suggesting that the reasons put forward by some teachers "isn't a good reason for not demoing". Perhaps these people may wish to vote with their feet and boycott those teachers whose style of teaching they so disapprove of. I have yet to see droves of people leaving classes where the teacher did not demo the routine at the start, and I have personally never encountered an organiser or franchisee who has ordered his/her teachers to demo their routine at the start of the class. If I am asked to demo the routine at the start of the class, I have no objections to doing it. If I am not, then I don't. My decision, based on my experience and judgement, simple as that.

Commercial Operator

Like Lily says, whether you demo or not I think depends on the kind of class you are teaching, and who is in it. I know some great teachers who will demo a routine beautifully and then teach every step. Whenever I demo what I plan to teach, I always regret it.

You can plan a speech but not a conversation.

I try to make my classes like a conversation - when I am teaching well my material is constantly modified in response to the class.

Since the aim of a modern jive class is to teach leaders to improvise moves in freestyle, and for followers to follow even unfamiliar movements, then shouldn't we have more classes that have less emphasis on doing routines?

On the whole, if a teacher demos the routine, they probably have a good reason for it. If they don't, they probably have good reason for that too.

If I have an experienced teacher, I just trust their judgement. If I don't trust them, then I find another teacher!
    Last edited by Amir; 25th-February-2006 at 03:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amir
    Like Lily says, whether you demo or not I think depends on the kind of class you are teaching, and who is in it. I know some great teachers who will demo a routine beautifully and then teach every step. Whenever I demo what I plan to teach, I always regret it.

You can plan a speech but not a conversation.

I try to make my classes like a conversation - when I am teaching well my material is constantly modified in response to the class.

Since the aim of a modern jive class is to teach leaders to improvise moves in freestyle, and for followers to follow even unfamiliar movements, then shouldn't we have more classes that have less emphasis on doing routines?

On the whole, if a teacher demos the routine, they probably have a good reason for it. If they don't, they probably have good reason for that too.

If I have an experienced teacher, I just trust their judgement. If I don't trust them, then I find another teacher!
    Why do I always change my mind when you lay down such pearls of wisdom? Am I a swine? LOL!

Thread Information