Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question - dancing when pregnant??

Re: Question - dancing when pregnant??

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours
    I think its perfectly OK, so long as your sensible about it (I think aerials is probably a little less sensible!) you need to protect your baby, and dancing really isn't generally that dangerous, you're just as likely to fall walking down the stairs, and I don't think anyone would suggest pregnant women stop doing that! Also, its good for you, and the baby, to get as much physical excercise as possible during pregnancy, it helps to keep fit for the birth, and is good for the pelvic floor. That said, my friend had dangerously low blood pressure during her pregnancy (very unusual), and was told not to excercise unless lying down (yoga etc.), so I think you do need to listen to doctors advice first.

I think TiggsTours has given out sound advice

I've not had any children so can't really comment, but i do have a friend that rode her horse til she was 8 1/2 months pregnant, she did always worry me but i could never say anything as she was very, well hormonal i would say as long as you were careful carry on enjoying your dancing. Congratulations to you

I believe they came third in this competition - Rebecca must be at least 7 months here :-

Classic Balboa/Bal-Swing Contest : (the first video)

http://www.stevedandrebecca.com/performances.asp

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Hi,

I wouldn't worry too much about about it. The best piece of advice I can give you would be to listen to your body. It will soon let you know if and when you need to stop. I uaed to find that I would get very faint cramps and so that was my sign to sit out for the rest of the night. Every person is different and every pregnancy is different.

As Trampy said I was dancing 2 days before Sarah popped out. Never found spinning a problem and thankfully I never lost my balance.

And much to my surprise I was back up on stage teaching a few weeks later.

Enjoy your pregnancy!!

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

The faint cramps that Lorna mentions I experienced, only worse. In my case, if I exercised, contractions started. Obviously I didn't dance, but it got to the stage that even when I went for a fifteen minute slow walk, they'd start off. I was told not to exercise at all and for the last three months of pregnancy, if I wanted to go anywhere, I had to go in a wheelchair

Let me tell you, I was so sick of it that the day after he was born, I was back walking round the block with his pram! Not exercising at all is horrible, especially for that long.

On the exercise note though, I was told that if I did exercise I would go into labour and they thought at one point he would come at about 28 weeks. Having that hanging over your head is terrible. We were constantly worried. Luckily that didn't happen.

I guess it depends on your body. Most people seem to have gotten away with exercising, but as in my case, it can go wrong. If I was to have another baby (obviously, just three weeks after the event I still say "IF"), I would definitely not dance whilst pregnant just because knowing what can go wrong, it would be something I know I wouldn't get over if something did happen and it's not a risk I'd be willing to take.

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Lorna
    Hi,

I wouldn't worry too much about about it. The best piece of advice I can give you would be to listen to your body. It will soon let you know if and when you need to stop. I uaed to find that I would get very faint cramps and so that was my sign to sit out for the rest of the night. Every person is different and every pregnancy is different.

As Trampy said I was dancing 2 days before Sarah popped out. Never found spinning a problem and thankfully I never lost my balance.

And much to my surprise I was back up on stage teaching a few weeks later.

Enjoy your pregnancy!!

Lotsa love Lorna x-x
    Well I hope when the times comes for me, I'll have just as much luck as you did Lorna!

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    Well I hope when the times comes for me, I'll have just as much luck as you did Lorna!
    Luck? Ahh, just being a mum makes you feel lucky.

I know this has nothing to do with the thread, so shoot me now for hi-jacking slightly, but I just wanted to share a few more piccies of my precious boy. Call it insanity or just being a very proud mum!

Who couldn't fall for a man wearing slippers like those, I ask you!!??

Pamster
    x
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pammy
    .........I know this has nothing to do with the thread, so shoot me now for hi-jacking slightly, but I just wanted to share a few more piccies of my precious boy. Call it insanity or just being a very proud mum!
    And so you should be Pammy - he is absolutely gooooooooooorjus. My baby is 38 now, but I still remember that lovely warm proud feeling, knowing that this little precious being was of your making (with a little help of course)

Enjoy your pregnancy Donna, and listen to your body (and unborn baby) they will tell you what NOT to do.

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Pammy
    Luck? Ahh, just being a mum makes you feel lucky.

I know this has nothing to do with the thread, so shoot me now for hi-jacking slightly, but I just wanted to share a few more piccies of my precious boy. Call it insanity or just being a very proud mum!

Who couldn't fall for a man wearing slippers like those, I ask you!!??

Pamster
    x
    Awwwww he's soooo cute! (No. I said no! I'm not get broody! I'm not getting broody!

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    Enjoy your pregnancy Donna........
    big big woops......... sorry Donna
    I meant jivegirl100

--ooOoo--

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    big big woops......... sorry Donna
    I meant jivegirl100

That's er ok!

Enjoy your pregnancy Donna, and listen to your body (and unborn baby) they will tell you what NOT to do.

Well my body is saying to me...'hey have you ever thought of gluing your legs together!'

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jivegirl100
    Have a hypothetical question for you... do you think it's ok to dance when you're pregnant? (The person in question has been dancing modern jive for 7 years)
    My wife, Fi that is, was at the southport weekend last year when 8 months pregnant and, despite getting tired a bit quicker, felt ok dancing with people she knew and was up to 5am each night

As others have said, listen to your body as im sure its different for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    My wife, Fi that is, was at the southport weekend last year when 8 months pregnant and, despite getting tired a bit quicker, felt ok dancing with people she knew and was up to 5am each night

As others have said, listen to your body as im sure its different for everyone.
    I'm sure you took her back to the chalet at 3.30 each night

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks
    I'm sure you took her back to the chalet at 3.30 each night
    er....well...we've not been married long

My friend went paint balling when she was 3 months pregant

She miss carried a week later and they dont THINK the two were related

I know sod all about it by why take any risk ?

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    My friend went paint balling when she was 3 months pregant

She miss carried a week later and they dont THINK the two were related

I know sod all about it by why take any risk ?
    I went on the 'big one' rollercoaster at Blackpool when I was pregnant Didn't do Little Witty any harm at all. Although I will point out I wasn't aware I was expecting.

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by WittyBird
    I went on the 'big one' rollercoaster at Blackpool when I was pregnant Didn't do Little Witty any harm at all. Although I will point out I wasn't aware I was expecting.

Would you have gone on it if you knew you were pregnant?

Thread Information