Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Headed Beginners!

Donna

Big Headed Beginners!

I'd be interested to know how many people have come across beginners who think that after just a few weeks of trying MJ, they are much better than anyone else and are trying to tell those who ARE experienced 'HOW TO DANCE!'

There is this one guy (very strange though) who, after dancing for just 5 weeks, thinks he is ABSOLUTELY the best MJ in the UK! He has never danced before in his life. I watch him dancing with some of the experienced ones, and he stops in the middle of a track trying to tell them that they did wrong and how it should be done. I find this extremely annoying and even worse, nobody seems to be complaining to the guy who runs the venue about him!

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Re: Big Headed Beginners!

Yep come across this bloke (or his many clones ) before. I think it's best to just grin at him and let him say his piece, it can be quite entertaining.

"I was just following your lead"

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella
    Yep come across this bloke (or his many clones ) before.

I think it's best to just grin at him and let him say his piece, it can be quite entertaining.
    It can be entertaining sometimes but when they are constantly doing it and start irritating a lot of people in the class they start to become extremely annoying and then people try to avoid dancing with them.

I'm wondering if it might be a slight mental problem too. He gives women very strange looks....like he is undressing you with his eyes. Very very creepy and I have a lot of my mates coming up to me saying exactly the same thing. He also passed a comment on to one woman there (just out of the blue) he said, 'Do you know that most men prefer oral to real sex!! )

When I asked if she had put a complaint in, she said she'd rather leave it for now...but if it's left for too long, somebody like that can do something very serious if allowed to get away with it.

He sounds quite an oddball, but getting back to his 'teaching' of moves...

In 3 years of taxi-ing I've noticed this quite often - the lead expecting the follow to dance exactly as the move was taught in the class and becoming exasperated when it's not like that.

Maybe you could ask whoever taxis that night to mention that 'dancing' is different to 'class' and to expect deviation by followers (some of us are more deviant than others too )?

Sounds to me like he has got problems with his social skills.

If he has, then he needs to learn what is and isn't appropriate. Unfortunately, this won't be possible if no-one ever says anything - either by speaking to the venue managers or to him directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    It can be entertaining sometimes but when they are constantly doing it and start irritating a lot of people in the class they start to become extremely annoying and then people try to avoid dancing with them.
    I know what you mean, but eventually he'll annoy so many ladies that he'll have no one to dance with. So then he'll probably give up MJ.
    I'm wondering if it might be a slight mental problem too. He gives women very strange looks....like he is undressing you with his eyes. Very very creepy and I have a lot of my mates coming up to me saying exactly the same thing. He also passed a comment on to one woman there (just out of the blue) he said, 'Do you know that most men prefer oral to real sex!! )
    Blimey he does sound rather creepy,
    When I asked if she had put a complaint in, she said she'd rather leave it for now...but if it's left for too long, somebody like that can do something very serious if allowed to get away with it.
    You can't really put a complaint in about his strange looks but i don't think a comment like the one above is appropriate and i think i would make the Venue Manager aware of how he's making the ladies feel. Even if it's just so that the staff can keep an eye on him.

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella
    I know what you mean, but eventually he'll annoy so many ladies that he'll have no one to dance with. So then he'll probably give up MJ.

I hope so! Coming to think of it, it might be my fault! After I had one dance with him, for a beginner, he was doing quite well and so I told him that....oops! Big mistake!

Blimey he does sound rather creepy

He is a complete odd ball! We had a freestyle night on Fri at Wrexham and his eye's (or his eye shall I say...em, one turns in) followed me from one side of the hall to the other. OOooeerrrr shiver shiver!

You can't really put a complaint in about his strange looks but i don't think a comment like the one above is appropriate and i think i would make the Venue Manager aware of how he's making the ladies feel. Even if it's just so that the staff can keep an eye on him.
    [/QUOTE]

Ya right there. I think I'll be the first to put a complaint in about him as I'm afraid he will do something very disturbing to a member of the class.

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    Sounds to me like he has got problems with his social skills.

If he has, then he needs to learn what is and isn't appropriate. Unfortunately, this won't be possible if no-one ever says anything - either by speaking to the venue managers or to him directly.

Well, I'd rather not approach him directly but I am going to say something on Wednesday.

I'd be interested to know how many people have come across beginners who think that after just a few weeks of trying MJ, they are much better than anyone else and are trying to tell those who ARE experienced 'HOW TO DANCE!'

There is this one guy (very strange though) who, after dancing for just 5 weeks, thinks he is ABSOLUTELY the best MJ in the UK! He has never danced before in his life. I watch him dancing with some of the experienced ones, and he stops in the middle of a track trying to tell them that they did wrong and how it should be done. I find this extremely annoying and even worse, nobody seems to be complaining to the guy who runs the venue about him!

If he is telling people what they did 'wrong' good luck to him

Om a serious note i would 'suggest' a beginner is someone who has been dancing less then a year

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

I remember dancing with a female who had only been dancing a few weeks anyway, i said to her as we were dancing "do you remember last weeks moves" (pretty much standard patter for me when i am dancing with beginners) to which she replied "I know all the moves"...hmmm! Me thinks maybe not! I just smiled and carried on!

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel
    I remember dancing with a female who had only been dancing a few weeks anyway, i said to her as we were dancing "do you remember last weeks moves" (pretty much standard patter for me when i am dancing with beginners) to which she replied "I know all the moves"...hmmm! Me thinks maybe not! I just smiled and carried on!

Oh dear! There is not a lot you can say though is there? If you were to tell her that she doesn't know all the moves at all, they would get offended and then you would lose one. Did the right thing just carrying on.

Little Miss Jazz Shoes Jazz_Shoes (Ash)'s Avatar

This too is one of my pet hates! Seen a few of them in my time, luckily there haven't been that many.

Yup, I've come across many dancers like this over the years! Particularly when taxiing And I've been told by beginners (after they've failed to lead me into whatever move it was they tried to lead) "You're meant to do........", and of course stopping in the middle of the dance floor to tell me how I didn't do the first move or catapult or whatever beginners move wrong!

Sometimes I just smile. If I feel like a wee , I will make sure to grab an experienced dancer for the next track, and proceed to dance in a spot on the dancefloor where the beginnner in question can't fail to see me...

Or I'll tell the poor man how you're actually meant to lead the move, and explain to him why I couldn't follow his lead.

oooooo Donna, do I know him

I love blokes like him let me at him

point him out if we are all in the same venue together, i'll scare him to death.

perhaps we should try double trouble that will stop him

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel

possible reply : 'wow you know all 600* moves... your good.

*just a figure peeps, just a figure!!!

or.... you could smile n carry on..

Quote Originally Posted by fletch

point him out if we are all in the same venue together, i'll scare him to death.

A woman after my own heart..

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by littleemc-central
    possible reply : 'wow you know all 600* moves... your good.

*just a figure peeps, just a figure!!!

or.... you could smile n carry on..
    It was soooo tempting!

I had a few ladies trying to pull that one on me in NZ at some point. The sad thing about it is not so much that they think they are great dancers, it is more that they think they are right. Sometimes they are (from a beginners perspective) and sometimes they are not. Essentially they are just parrotting (?) what the teacher told them. If they are generally wrong then it could mean that either the teacher taught them the wrong thing or they just didn't understand it. In other cases a more advanced dancer may just have the liberty to change certain things and deviate from the book (not that we would EVER do that ). It'd naturally confuse the living day out of them and they are right trying to correct such bad manners. But either way, they can be quite obnoxious, can't they?

Quote Originally Posted by fletch

How fantastic! You could undress him with YOUR eyes ... or become his own personal stalker Or howsabout you offer to take him to the next available blues workshop as your fixed partner

Thread Information