Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I know that naming names is not allowed on the forum due to leagal reasons but...

Glitter Queen

Re: I know that naming names is not allowed on the forum due to leagal reasons but...

A swift knee somewhere painful would have done the trick - if he's got your hands trapped what else can you do to get away? And in this case getting away would be top priority - straight to security to have him removed .
    It makes me so mad to see people being so disrespectful of their partners!

Re: I know that naming names is not allowed on the forum due to leagal reasons but...

Quote Originally Posted by ToeTrampler
    Sorry, I just can't see why anyone finds this faintly amusing.
    Because it's perfectly possible to both a) be appalled by seeing something like that and b) see the dark humour in it.

It's not the fact that he hit her that's intrinsically funny, nor that he tried to carry on dancing... it's the fact that it's a grotesque caricature (usually) of what we see in MJ. And with the music, it became even more ridiculous...

The point is, it reminds us that there are people out there that show off ridiculously on the dancefloor, at the expense of their partners and the surrounding dancers. There are people out there that basically take a "sh1t happens" attitude when they hurt someone, and are completely without remorse when they do.

The humour comes from the caricature, from the music, and that it's perhaps a little too close to home for comfort.

I thought it was very funny, as well as being appalled.

What ChrisA said

I laughed - but it was definitely graveyard humour. As I said, I can't believe that woman carried on dancing with him - I would have either given him a swift slap before he grabbed my free hand, or applied a hard kick in the shins.

Watching that video again last night on my home PC which has better resolution, there is something not quite right about that guy's social skills beyond arrogant lack of respect. Scary.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA
    The point is, it reminds us that there are people out there that show off ridiculously on the dancefloor, at the expense of their partners and the surrounding dancers. There are people out there that basically take a "sh1t happens" attitude when they hurt someone, and are completely without remorse when they do.

The humour comes from the caricature, from the music, and that it's perhaps a little too close to home for comfort.
    Well put, Chris. I think that's what i found scary about it, the fact that it could happen to any one of us. We dance with people we have never met before and others that we really don't know very well. Whose to say that there isn't someone as volatile as this in the MJ scene? I'd like to think that if it did occur then the guy would be forceably removed and the lady comforted, unlike in the video!

I was appalled watching the clip and didn't see any humour in it (even in a 'dark humour' sense) but I guess everyone's taste is different in this regard. I would hope that if I saw anything like this happening near to me I would intervene but until something actually happens how can you know for sure?

Someone was banned from one of my regular venues this week (according to a reliable source) though I don't know the exact details but this wasn't a great surprise following the teacher's request last week that if anyone is uncomfortable with anyone's behaviour at ceroc then they should let the venue management know. It looks like Phil Roberts takes his responsibilities in this area seriously.

Robert

Because it's perfectly possible to both a) be appalled by seeing something like that and b) see the dark humour in it.

It's not the fact that he hit her that's intrinsically funny, nor that he tried to carry on dancing... it's the fact that it's a grotesque caricature (usually) of what we see in MJ. And with the music, it became even more ridiculous...

I thought it was very funny, as well as being appalled.
    Thanks for that explanation, I now understand where some people are coming from with this so I'll change my view to: Sorry I just don't find this even faintly amusing.

Donna

Sometimes we find things that aren't supposed to be funny, funny!

I've watched that clip over and over and it looks a bit false to me. Ask yourself this question. Why is someone filming in a dance venue anyway when they shouldn't be and why didn't that woman walk away? Anybody else would have done OR give it him back!

Donna

Sometimes things that we know really aren't funny, we can't seem to help laugh at. I've watched this clip over and over...it looks a bit false to me.

Ask yourself this question. Why is the camera there in the first place when filiming in venues is supposed to be illegal? I think it was planned just to put it on the internet. Face it, no woman being slapped around like that would carry on dancing with someone after!

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella
    Whose to say that there isn't someone as volatile as this in the MJ scene?
    Are you thinking that he hit her deliberately? Because that's not my take on the video.

I think that it was accidental... he was turning her in one direction, then the other, then the first again, with very quick reversals. Then it looks like one of them fails to let go, and his arm gets wound round her head... but his free arm just keeps flailing, and catches her in the face, and then again (or nearly) with the other one.

There's no hint of anger on his face when he gets her with first swing, which is what I'd have expected if he did it deliberately.

I reckon he's just one of these idiots (of which there are loads in the MJ world, many of which are just as minging as that guy, strangely), who get completely carried away with what he's doing. If you look at everyone else on the dancefloor, he looks like he's on speed, compared with the other dancers.

A showoff, yes; uncontrolled, yes; an idiot, yes, but probably not malicious.

If I'm wrong, and he did hit her deliberately, then I wouldn't have found it quite so funny, I guess.

I too thought it was accidental, but what made me think that (literally and seriously) he has some form of mental health difficulty is that he carried on regardless - he didn't even appear to stop and show any concern

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    I too thought it was accidental, but what made me think that (literally and seriously) he has some form of mental health difficulty is that he carried on regardless - he didn't even appear to stop and show any concern
    Yeah, well there's plenty of that about... albeit not often in cases as serious as that.

Registered User Tazmanian Devil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris A
    Are you thinking that he hit her deliberately? Because that's not my take on the video.

I think that it was accidental... he was turning her in one direction, then the other, then the first again, with very quick reversals. Then it looks like one of them fails to let go, and his arm gets wound round her head... but his free arm just keeps flailing, and catches her in the face, and then again (or nearly) with the other one.

There's no hint of anger on his face when he gets her with first swing, which is what I'd have expected if he did it deliberately.

I reckon he's just one of these idiots (of which there are loads in the MJ world, many of which are just as minging as that guy, strangely), who get completely carried away with what he's doing. If you look at everyone else on the dancefloor, he looks like he's on speed, compared with the other dancers.

A showoff, yes; uncontrolled, yes; an idiot, yes, but probably not malicious.

If I'm wrong, and he did hit her deliberately, then I wouldn't have found it quite so funny, I guess.

Had to watch it a few times but I agree with Chris A.

Donna

I'VE CHANGED MY MIND!! I THINK THIS IS REAL! Look at the guy on the left. He's grabbing his arm and trying to pull him away. Would be interested to know what happened after!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox
    Well, it's one way of ensuring that your follower maintains the right tension.....
    I find telling your partner her ass looks big in what she's wearing ensures plenty of tension.

Glitter Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Ceroc Jock
    I find telling your partner her ass looks big in what she's wearing ensures plenty of tension.

Except when it's true

I think that it was accidental...
    Certainly, when I punched a girl in the eye the other night, it was a pure accident, and not just because she wasn't following me!

But I couldn't believe what I was seeing on this video. I had to watch it a few times, and I really think that this guy was deliberately hitting the woman for messing up – and who could blame her considering the way he was dancing.

Not funny. Shocking.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    Certainly, when I punched a girl in the eye the other night, it was a pure accident, and not just because she wasn't following me!

But I couldn't believe what I was seeing on this video. I had to watch it a few times, and I really think that this guy was deliberately hitting the woman for messing up – and who could blame her considering the way he was dancing.

Not funny. Shocking.
    And I agree Ducati. I mean Ducasi! Looking at him, he thinks he's brilliant but in fact, she is a million times better than him!

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    I don't see anything amusing about it either

I'm sure I would have steped infront of him and broken the dance rather than just put a hand on his wrist... unless of course it was staged... naaaa; who would do that?
    I thought it was staged at first as well, but then seeing the other guy try and step in made me think otherwise.

I was quite appalled actually and I hope that this person where ever he is has been banned for life.

The Forum Legend

I still think that it's staged.

And if it was staged, don't you think that they may have also staged the reactions of the people next to him too??

Quote Originally Posted by Lory

sorry but it the clip actually made me

Thread Information