Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ghostly experiences

Commercial Operator Swinging bee's Avatar

Ghostly experiences

Ah, the age old enigma, ghosts, the afterlife, spooks, the paranormal, hauntings,the unexplained. Any experiences of these things? Do you believe in any of it?

I didn't believe any of it .

Then about twelve years ago something happened to alter my view, Aylesham police station in Kent was my base for quite a number of years, some of the older Policeman said it was haunted , I didn't believe them for a minute.
    It seemed that some had heard noises down the corridor to the cells when it was empty . the sound of footsteps being heard by several people.

I should explain that the station at that time was not permanently manned except at certain times of the day, it was used by the crime squad every now and then and most of the rural section took their refreshments there and wrote up reports etc....get the picture ?
    One particular night I was on my own writing up some crime reports, it was about 1 am, there was no one else in, when I heard the back door open and close, plus the sound of footsteps going down the corridor. I said the usual "yo"! thinking it was the other crew coming in for grub , there was no reply and the footsteps continued, I repeated myself, no reply, I got up went to the back door which was closed and locked, looked down the corridor to the cells, no one there, went down the corridor ,all rooms empty!.

To this day I have not been able to rationalise what I experienced , discussions with colleagues who had been through the same thing failed to come up with an answer . If it makes any difference it was documented that a police officer during the last war commited suicide at the station by hanging himself.

Thre are no external walkways or alleys anywhere near the location whereby the sound could travel...

I just don't know..
    What about you ?

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Re: Ghostly experiences

thanks i am sitting in the office by myself now petrified of every noise, altho i know the noises above in the roof are mice.

TiggsTours

Well, I do believe in the paranormal, as in there being things that science is yet to explain, and the possibility that ghosts do exist, as science has yet to explain what really happens to our souls when we die, so there is every possibility that ghosts may truly exist.

I also have had moments in my past of psychic experiences, I have deja-vu far more often than the average person, I have whole conversations where I not only know exactly what will be said next, but by who, exactly how they will say it, what they are wearing, where we are when its said, who is there, who is about to walk into the room, as I had previously dreamt it. When I was younger I had 2 very vivid dreams of buildings that had not even been designed then, down to what colour the doors would be painted. When driving someone home to somewhere I've never been, its not been unheard of for me to start indicating, before being told to turn (strange then that I get lost so often!) The spookiest that happened to me, until last week, was when I was out shopping with a friend of mine, we got back to my car she climbed into the front with all her bags, while she was chatting away to me I thought to myself "When she stops chatting, I'll suggest she puts her bags in the back", then without me saying anything, she turned to me and said "What did you want me to put in the back?".

But, last week was the spookiest thing that has ever happened to me, and I didn't like it one bit! I was away skiing last week, and the lovely Asif was there with me. On the night we arrived I had a really vivid dream, over and over again, of Asif dislocating his shoulder. The next morning I got up and told my room-mate, then went running into Asif, leapt on him and said (jokingly) "Please don't dislocate your shoulder!". We all went out skiing together, and that afternoon, Asif did a flying leap in the air, landed awkwardly, and lo and behold, dislocated his shoulder!

Next time I'm going to try to dream of lottery numbers!

TiggsTours

Oh, and I completely forgot! My mum used to work in a pub that was haunted. I used to go there during the summer holidays, and play in the kitchen while she was working, you used to hear people walking around upstairs and opening and closing doors when there was nobody up there all the time. Also, my mum went into the cellar once, and heard a noise, she went round the corner and saw a lady walking away back up the stairs, she went back up and asked the landlady who'd been down there, and was told nobody had, it was one of the other ghosts.

Quote Originally Posted by Swinging bee
    To this day I have not been able to rationalise what I experienced , discussions with colleagues who had been through the same thing failed to come up with an answer . If it makes any difference it was documented that a police officer during the last war commited suicide at the station by hanging himself.
    Thre are no external walkways or alleys anywhere near the location whereby the sound could travel...
    I just don't know..
    What about you ?
    What's the most likely answer? That there are, despite failure after failure after failure over 200 years to establish any sort of explanation for how they might be possible, ghosts? Or that one of a handful of less 'unearthly' explanations is correct? A practical joke, misinterpretation on your part, daydreaming, and so forth? (There are people who are absolutely convinced that they have conversations with aliens from their living rooms and the High Street - what are the more likely explanations for that?)

I don't understand why ghosts don't just walk (float?) up to us and say, "Hi, I used to be Patrick Swayze, fancy doing some pottery?" instead of all this roundabout making thumping sounds and then running away.

Just like mediums. Astonishing how much difficulty they have in 'tuning in' to dead people. Are they all the psychic-equivalent of 'hard of hearing'? "He's saying John - or Jeff - or Joe - or is it George? Jerry perhaps? Anybody know a John or a Jeff or a Joe or a George or a Jerry who has passed over?" (Entire audience puts up their hand.)

Donna

Oh no!!! Why did I look into this thread! Reason being, where I work sometimes I have to sort the files down in the basement and something doesn't feel right down there. Sometimes I feel tingly and then I get paranoid. Then I keep thinking to myself, 'It's nothing, it's just all in your head, forget it!'

I've got to go back down there in a sec! GULP!

I'm currently working for Steve's mate who is the Managing Director of an accountants firm...and this place used to be a house (a blummin big one! i have nearly 10 flights of stairs to climb everyday) and it is over 200 years old. Steve also used to work here and has been told of funny going ons and won't tell me anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    Steve also used to work here and has been told of funny going ons and won't tell me anything!
    Probably best if you are anything like me... ie very jumpy and easily scared!

Wow that's impressive Tiggs - I hope Asif's ok?

Dan and I have a similar (less extreme) 'connection' thing going on, but I consider it to be a form of empathy I suppose. A similar example to yours Tiggs would have been the other day when I looked over to him in the car and thought 'you must be uncomfortable, why don't you push the seat back?'. He promptly did, but that was no doubt because a) he was uncomfortable, and b) I tend to speak with facial expressions.

The ghost thing . . . who knows . When I've been working late in old prisons I have often been told by prison officers that the wing is haunted, and I have heard a similar (walking the corridoors and going into empty cells) story in more than one prison, which has made me cynical.

Science isn't really able to falsify these claims so we'll have to rely upon people's beliefs. Would it be so scary if it were true?

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel
    Oh yes I'm very jumpy. Next time I think it will be wise to bring a spare pair of Nik Naks eh?!

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    Oh yes I'm very jumpy. Next time I think it will be wise to bring a spare pair of Nik Naks eh?!
    You mean you dont already?

Donna

You mean you dont already?
    Nah! Silly aren't I? They keep sending me down there! Maybe I should make an excuse...like...I have a bad knee and can't make it down the stairs and if you want me to go...then you'll have to carry me down there!!!

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov
    What's the most likely answer? That there are, despite failure after failure after failure over 200 years to establish any sort of explanation for how they might be possible, ghosts? Or that one of a handful of less 'unearthly' explanations is correct? A practical joke, misinterpretation on your part, daydreaming, and so forth? (There are people who are absolutely convinced that they have conversations with aliens from their living rooms and the High Street - what are the more likely explanations for that?)

I don't understand why ghosts don't just walk (float?) up to us and say, "Hi, I used to be Patrick Swayze, fancy doing some pottery?" instead of all this roundabout making thumping sounds and then running away.

Just like mediums. Astonishing how much difficulty they have in 'tuning in' to dead people. Are they all the psychic-equivalent of 'hard of hearing'? "He's saying John - or Jeff - or Joe - or is it George? Jerry perhaps? Anybody know a John or a Jeff or a Joe or a George or a Jerry who has passed over?" (Entire audience puts up their hand.)
    All very true, but can I just offer this as an expalination, science, as well as not being able to prove that ghosts do exist, has also not been able to prove that they don't. It has not been able to prove the recorded hundreds of occasions where strange noises are heard, or that things have moved on their own, or people have been seen in deserted places, ghosts are just one theory for something that has not been proved by science. Having sat somewhere and heard noises in places where I know there is nobody, I can't explain it, neither can science, ghosts is just a theory.

As for them not just "floating up and saying hi", has it occurred to you that maybe, just maybe, they are actually completely oblivous to our existence? That they are just getting on with their daily goings on, totally oblivious to the fact that we are sharing their space too?

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours
    All very true, but can I just offer this as an expalination, science, as well as not being able to prove that ghosts do exist, has also not been able to prove that they don't. It has not been able to prove the recorded hundreds of occasions where strange noises are heard, or that things have moved on their own, or people have been seen in deserted places, ghosts are just one theory for something that has not been proved by science. Having sat somewhere and heard noises in places where I know there is nobody, I can't explain it, neither can science, ghosts is just a theory.

As for them not just "floating up and saying hi", has it occurred to you that maybe, just maybe, they are actually completely oblivous to our existence? That they are just getting on with their daily goings on, totally oblivious to the fact that we are sharing their space too?
    If not ghosts....I have been told there is some scientific proof of other dimensions.

Commercial Operator Swinging bee's Avatar

failure after failure over 200 years to establish any sort of explanation for how they might be possible, ghosts? Or that one of a handful of less 'unearthly' explanations is correct? A practical joke, misinterpretation on your part, daydreaming, and so forth? (

There was no practical joke...
    No daydreaming.
    No misinterptetation...

I have tried to rationalise it, so have my old workmates.. We are all rational people. I know, what I heard was what I heard.... The location of the station is on the edge of fields with the old miners housing estate to the front accross a wide road, the nearest house was adjoining the police house of which I was the sole occupant, nearest other building 60 yards away...footpaths are tarmac. what I heard were footsteps on a very hard and slightly echoey surface..
    Have researched the posibility of tunnels ,bearing in mind the village is built on the Kent coalfield, but according to the miners there are none..the mineshaft goes down many hundreds of feet , some one and a half miles away..

Just because there is no *apparent* explanation for something doesn't mean that something paranormal is going on.

http://www.csicop.org/si/2000-01/ghost.html - long, but I found it interesting.

Where are you DJ? - I thought you'd love this thread, stop being nice and come and play

All very true, but can I just offer this as an explanation, science, as well as not being able to prove that ghosts do exist, has also not been able to prove that they don't. It has not been able to prove the recorded hundreds of occasions where strange noises are heard, or that things have moved on their own, or people have been seen in deserted places, ghosts are just one theory for something that has not been proved by science. Having sat somewhere and heard noises in places where I know there is nobody, I can't explain it, neither can science, ghosts is just a theory.
    Science isn't 'there' to disprove the existence of ghosts. We live in a universe of natural phenomena, and science does a first-rate job of examining those phenomena and fitting them all into a jigsaw puzzle to help us make sense of everything. At one time, there was no accepted theory as to how 'light' propogates. It was accepted that it was a wave, but as was then understood, a wave requires a medium in which to propogate. Scientists postulated 'ether', a largely undetected medium which pervades all things and through which light waves could propogate. Two men calle Michelsen and Morley devised a really neat experiment that proved that there cannot be any ether (long winded explanation). At that time it was not understood that electricity and magnetism were two aspects of the same thing, and that light was 'electro-magnetic radiation' at specific wavelengths. There was so much we didn't know that belief in what we now call 'the supernatural' was a fairly logical response to the universe.

No one understood about conversion of mass to energy or vice versa, about how air is made of molecules of solid matter which are so small that you don't notice the billions you displace every time you take a step, about the weak and strong nuclear forces, about quarks and gluons.

The problem with ghosts is that for them to exist - in the commonly accepted sense of 'spirits of dead people that may or may not be tied to a specific locus' - requires that almost everything physicists and chemists have carefully worked out, piece by piece over the last 200 years, to be ripped up and thrown away. For a ghost to exist there has to be information - information about what the ghost is, where it is, how it moves. How does it create the percussion in air which we recognise as sound? How do photons of light bounce off something which is not solid, but which at the same time holds its shape and doesn't disaggregate?

There is no known, nor any postulated mechanism by which such information can be retained. Human beings rely on DNA to store the information necessary to repair the body, reproduce and so forth. DNA is unbelievably complex; even decades of supercomputer investigation are only just beginning to scratch beyond the surface. And yet put DNA in an unprotected environment and it will degrade within seconds, especially in light. Richard Dawkins' book The Selfish Gene sort of suggests that the whole of animal bodies are just the means by which DNA protects itself from an otherwise fatal environment. How do ghosts achieve this - remaining viable entities for, sometimes and allegedly, centuries?

To say 'science has not disproved the existence of ghosts' is the same thing as saying that it hasn't disproved that there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Well now! What on earth do you imagine makes up ghosts' "daily goings on"?

TiggsTours

Science isn't 'there' to disprove the existence of ghosts.
    How right you are, but I think you miss my point. I haven't said that I do categorically believe in ghosts, they have never been proved, you are right, but science has also never offered a full explaination for so many activities that occur, some of which people offer ghosts as a possible theory to. All I have said is that I am open to the idea that ghosts are the answer to this, and until science can offer an alternative explaination, I will continue to be open to that idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Scnikov
    Probably the same as us, but they don't have to go to work to pay the mortgage! I guess you could call them the "ladies/gentleman that lunch", doesn't sound too bad to me!

Now that is one ghost I wouldn't be running away from.

I imagine the ghost of Patrick Swayze has a very successful pottery business....oh and he probably spends a fair bit of time at the gym.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    Where are you DJ? - I thought you'd love this thread, stop being nice and come and play
    Heard of the phrase "give them enough rope..."?

Well, I do believe in the paranormal
    Interesting phrasing - note that this is a belief. In other words, it's one of those faith-based opinion things again, so rational debate on the issue is fairly useless. Not that we ever do rational debate anyway, of course.

I have deja-vu far more often than the average person,
    Nope, you've just been reading Andy McGregor's posts too much, everyone gets that with him, perfectly normal reaction.

All very true, but can I just offer this as an expalination, science, as well as not being able to prove that ghosts do exist, has also not been able to prove that they don't.
    It's difficult to prove a negative - especially when dealing with a faith-based opinion. Similarly, science can't disprove the existence of God / Buddha / Allah / The FSM.

I haven't said that I do categorically believe in ghosts
    Well, you said just now that you believe in the paranormal, so it's not unreasonable to assume you believe in ghosts (I know, I'm an awkward b&gger...).

science has also never offered a full explaination for so many activities that occur, some of which people offer ghosts as a possible theory to.
    I don't agree - there are explanations (theories, if you will), but you choose not to accept them. That's your right of course, but

I'm also not keen on using the term "science" as if it were a person, like it's a malevolent entity or something. "Science" is the name for a body of knowledge, accumulated by people. I'm not even comfortable with the term "scientists", it's a bit too broad and generic - and usually employed in a derogatory way - for my taste.

Oh and:
    Wait for it
    Wait
    Wait

BOO!

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    Interesting phrasing - note that this is a belief. In other words, it's one of those faith-based opinion things again, so rational debate on the issue is fairly useless. Not that we ever do rational debate anyway, of course.
    There is far more to the paranormal than just ghosts, you know, I think I made it quite clear that the bit I believe in is psychic ability. I believe in the telephone sitting on my desk, that is because I can see it, I can touch it and I can use it, I do not worship it like a god, which is what you are suggesting my belief in the paranormal is.
    It's difficult to prove a negative - especially when dealing with a faith-based opinion. Similarly, science can't disprove the existence of God / Buddha / Allah / The FSM.
    I'm not saying that I would like science to prove that ghosts don't exist, I'm just saying that until it proves something to explain the unexplained, I will continue to be open to the idea that one of the many, and stronger, theories may be the answer, not that it definately is.
    Well, you said just now that you believe in the paranormal, so it's not unreasonable to assume you believe in ghosts (I know, I'm an awkward b&gger...).
    Not unreasonable at all, as I said, I don't necessarily believe in ghosts, but I am open to the idea.
    I don't agree - there are explanations (theories, if you will), but you choose not to accept them. That's your right of course, but
    Theories, exactly, and ghosts are one of the other theories. Until science proves the theory, I will choose to be open to as many, or as few of them, as I like. Ghosts are not the only one I am open to, third dimensions, retained memories, imagination, coincidence, practical jokes, all theories I am open too as well, but sometimes coincidence, practical jokes & imagination can be discounted very quickly, leaving the more obscure theories still open.
    I'm also not keen on using the term "science" as if it were a person, like it's a malevolent entity or something. "Science" is the name for a body of knowledge, accumulated by people. I'm not even comfortable with the term "scientists", it's a bit too broad and generic - and usually employed in a derogatory way - for my taste.
    I don't think I have

Thread Information