Thread: London to Blackpool - any ideas?

London to Blackpool - any ideas?

There are 3 of us travelling up from the from the SE london/Kent area of which 1 of us cant leave till 3pm on the friday- as the drive is around 6 hours on a clear run i was looking for alternative ways of getting there ie flying or train - has anyone found any bargains out there?

Any ideas that could get me out of driving would be fab!

Thanks guys and gals

Re: London to Blackpool - any ideas?

There are flights from Stanstead, and Blackpool airport is very close to the Big Blue Hotel - almost walking distance!! The expensive bit is getting to Stanstead!!

M

Quote Originally Posted by DD+ View Post
    There are 3 of us travelling up from the from the SE london/Kent area of which 1 of us cant leave till 3pm on the friday- as the drive is around 6 hours on a clear run i was looking for alternative ways of getting there ie flying or train - has anyone found any bargains out there?

Any ideas that could get me out of driving would be fab!

Thanks guys and gals
    last time we went to blackpool we flew with ryanair which would have been ok if the plane hadnt developed an oil leak just before loading on the way back
    the flight was supposed to have been at 8pm sunday eve we sat in the lounge till about 23.45 then boarded the plane only to be told that there were no firemen left on duty and the plane couldnt take off that night we had to go to the lounge again
    when we got there they said they were closing the airport and we all had to leave it was a freezing snowy november night
    The airport staff didnt want to help at all until the police turned up and made them
    Although dont let that put you off i would think an oil leak is a rare occasion and i am sure flying would be ok

Depending on how long it is before you have to travel, it can be worth trying the train.

When we went to the weekender in Blackpool last year, we managed to get a return for about £40. We could have got it cheaper but we wanted to come back on Monday morning. You usually have to book those about three months in advance and you have to change at Preston.

Last year I caught the train from Reading - cost me about £50 - but only booked a week before - as Stuart mentioned the earlier you book the train the cheaper you can get it

other option might be a coach...

Be careful with flying - the getting to the airport, the hanging around for security checks, the flight itself and the getting there at the other end can take longer than you think. Although the flight to and from Aberdeen for Beo and I is only just over an hour (scheduled for an hour and a half), the total travelling time was more like 5-6 hours by the time you'd factored everything else in (that's getting to the airport about 90 mins before the flight is due to depart - you might be happy to cut it finer). So although it's a 6 hour drive, if you're spending 4 - 5 hours on the flight/in the airport, is it worth it?

Hmm, moot point anyway - just curious about the flight time so looked up Blackpool airport. No flights to there from SE England at all, so that's out for you.

Train might well be easier, although be careful if you have connections. First time I went up to meet Beo's parents, the train was delayed and I missed my connection at Carlisle to Dumfries as the train was running slowly (no explanation). I was only going to miss it by 5 minutes, but they wouldn't hold it for me. Luckily, there were some other passengers going too, so Virgin stuck us all in a cab from Carlisle to Dumfries which was fabulous. If you have to change at Prestion, bear this in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Yliander View Post

other option might be a coach...
    We looked at National Express as an option. Although it was cheaper, it took something like 8 hours for the journey.

Thread Information