Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Life on Mars

Life on Mars

...is turning out to be pretty much the most intelligent series on the box at the moment.

Little Miss Jazz Shoes Jazz_Shoes (Ash)'s Avatar

Re: LIfe on Mars

Whats that about?

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
    Whats that about?
    Life on Mars maybe? But in which sense.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
    Whats that about?
    DCI (or something) from 2005 Manchester is searching for serial killer who appears to have nabbed DCI's girlfriend; he's so distraught he walks into the path of a speeding vehicle and when he wakes up he's in 1973 Manchester. He's not sure if he's really back in 1973 or whether he's in a coma and everything that's going on is just the wheels spinning in his mind.
    It's clever and thought provoking.
    Title is a result of the fact that David Bowie's song is on his car radio when he's hit by the other vehicle.
    Anybody else like it?

I saw the first 5mins or so and got bored with it, thought the acting was a bit poor ..... so turned it off and updated my list instead

Wish now, I gave it some more time ....

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Survived two whole episodes but then got bored im afraid

TiggsTours

I think its great! I'm really enjoying it.

I think I can see what Minnie M means about the acting, but I think you my have missed the point, my little mouse. The acting is, in fact, superb! All of the characters, except the main central one, appear to be acting badly, this is because they are acting in the style of a 1970s cop show, where the acting was apalling, and are doing it briliantly! Whereas, the main central character, who is the one who shouldn't be there, his acting style is totally different, in order to mark the contrast even more to highlight the fact he really shouldn't be there.

I think the bit with the girl from the TV picture is very spooky, and I can't wait to find out what the inevitable twist is going to be.

Commercial Operator Swinging bee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov
    ...is turning out to be pretty much the most intelligent series on the box at the moment.
    It's brilliant, takes me back to when I first joined the "Old Bill", aaahhhh the pure pleasure in telling some little scrote.. "Y're nicked, Asshole." Those were the days......

Yup, I like it too and I agree with Tigg's comments about the acting. Apparently their biggest fear making it, was driving around like The Sweeney, but without damaging the car!

An Eclectic Toaster

It's a slight shame, given tonight's episode's football slant, that it was set in 1973. Two years later and they could have had all sorts of fun with some crazy 'what-if' storyline about Manchester United getting relegated

Think the show's great - it's my one 'must-see' on the box at the moment. A soundtrack CD would be great...

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M
    It's a slight shame, given tonight's episode's football slant, that it was set in 1973. Two years later and they could have had all sorts of fun with some crazy 'what-if' storyline about Manchester United getting relegated

Think the show's great - it's my one 'must-see' on the box at the moment. A soundtrack CD would be great...
    Ooh yes! Soundtrack CD, that would be great! Maybe, if enough of us contacted the BBC, they'd do one.

Did anybody notice the beer pumps in the pub in last night's episode? I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't have been able to buy Greene King in Manchester in the 1970's.

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart
    Did anybody notice the beer pumps in the pub in last night's episode? I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't have been able to buy Greene King in Manchester in the 1970's.
    A very quick google search would have told you that Greene King has been brewing beer and operating pubs since 1799, and that by the early 1960s the company owned over 900 pubs, so yes, I guess it would have been possible to by it in Manchester in the 1970s.

You will usually find, on this sort of programme, that the research that is done into historical accuracy is mind-blowing!

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours
    A very quick google search would have told you that Greene King has been brewing beer and operating pubs since 1799, and that by the early 1960s the company owned over 900 pubs, so yes, I guess it would have been possible to by it in Manchester in the 1970s.

You will usually find, on this sort of programme, that the research that is done into historical accuracy is mind-blowing!
    Speaking as a beer drinker though and one who spent his formative years in East Anglia, I know that you couldn't buy the stuff outside East Anglia until relatively recently.

Speaking as a beer drinker though and one who spent his formative years in East Anglia, I know that you couldn't buy the stuff outside East Anglia until relatively recently.
    I can tell you that it was available in Devon in 1976. Manchester in 1973 doesn't seem like such a long stretch.

I stand corrected

TiggsTours

So you honestly think they owned over 900 pubs in East Anglia in the 1960s? I doubt they own that many in one concentrated area of the country now!

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours
    So you honestly think they owned over 900 pubs in East Anglia in the 1960s? I doubt they own that many in one concentrated area of the country now!
    We drinks a lot in there fens, bor!

An Eclectic Toaster

In preparation for the second series this year, I've been wandering round the internet looking at "Life on Mars" stuff. Was looking for when it's coming back, might be February). I was intrigued to find out that a spin-off called Ashes to Ashes is in development. I also found a fan forum called The Railway Arms, which is full of spoilers so I'm not going to visit it again. Ever.

Well, maybe occasionally.

I didn't see this the first time around so will be sitting down tonight at 10.30pm to watch the repeats on BBC4

Thread Information