Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital TV - help!

Digital TV - help!

I was thinking of getting one of those box thingys for digital TV but have a few queries if anyone can help...

- Do I just buy the box and plug it in or are there any other costs extra to the cost of the box itself?

- I have seen boxes from £25 upwards - is there is any extra features that the dearer ones have that I should be looking for? Any recommendations? Or is the cheapest just as good?

- I have an inside aerial - its fine for regular TV but will it be good enough for this or will I need to get another aerial?

Thanks!

Re: Digital TV - help!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    I was thinking of getting one of those box thingys for digital TV but have a few queries if anyone can help...

- Do I just buy the box and plug it in or are there any other costs extra to the cost of the box itself?

- I have seen boxes from £25 upwards - is there is any extra features that the dearer ones have that I should be looking for? Any recommendations? Or is the cheapest just as good?

- I have an inside aerial - its fine for regular TV but will it be good enough for this or will I need to get another aerial?

Thanks!

Yes you just plug them in. First though call the number and make sure that you have good enough reception in your area. I myself didnt so had to have Sky. You can find the number in the Argos book in the digital box section.

Quote Originally Posted by Missy D
    Yes you just plug them in. First though call the number and make sure that you have good enough reception in your area. I myself didnt so had to have Sky. You can find the number in the Argos book in the digital box section.
    Thanks - I did that last night and I have reception OK - but that's an important point!

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

I think if you get the add ons its a bit more expensive and i think its a pay monthly thing, but your standard package is a decent one so you dont really need to add on unless (like me) you are mad on sport.

When i looked into it (last year) the only difference between the dearer ones and the cheaper one was the "name". I always tend to go for the cheaper option and i have never had a problem in the passed (my video is now about14 years old and wasnt expensive and the dvd player was free wit summit 5 years ago and its still works. I think if you go for it and are not happy with the service it provides, you will be less dissapointed with the cheaper one cuz you only paid £30 quid for it.

this of course is all IMHO

Thanks!
    Any of the boxes available now will probably fulfill you needs. The key points (apart from checking your reception as already mention) are that the box lists "digitally interative" in it's features (this allows you to "press the Red button" and access interactive features available on digital) and wheather or not it receives DAB radio as well.

Some boxes also have a card slot for using with top-up tv ( http://www.topuptv.com/ ) if you want to subscribe to channels such as Discovery etc.

(Oops cross post with Drathzel, so what she says to )

Commercial Operator

Thanks - I did that last night and I have reception OK - but that's an important point!
    Then you are good to go!!

I did have an expensive box, but am about to use a £30 box in my new address. I think the main difference is quality of components but they should last a good while anyway

Enjoy!!

Meantime, does anyone know if you can add NASN or FilmFour to a normal set-top box??

Thanks!
    STOP

Can i suggesting spending a bit more (£170) and get the Fusion FVRT200 Freeview Twin Tuner 80GB Digital Video Recorder

I've got the 60gb 100model, showed it to my parents over Xmas and they bought the higher spec 200model, they love it

It is a twin freeview box, and can record up to 14 days in advance, so you can watch a channel and record a channel, or you can record 2 things at the same time (and even watch a previously recorded programme).

If you are a TV viewer rather than a DVD viewer, this is for you.

http://www.dixons.co.uk/product.php?sku=993036

or try John Lewis

Lee

PS....I've had a £30 box, and they allow you to watch tv but not record and also the cheaper the model the less functions you have, like sorting channels and selecting favourites.

I've done my research on this, i promise you won't be disappointed. This will replace all yours recording on VHS.
    Last edited by Lee; 27th-January-2006 at 01:23 PM.

Commercial Operator

Does it take extra channels?!?

Thanks, though Lee.

It looks cool, but it wont be this month!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ceroc Jock
    Does it take extra channels?!?

Thanks, though Lee.

It looks cool, but it wont be this month!!
    Not sure what you mean by 'take' extra channels, if the machine is left on standby it loads all of the channels each night to ensure it is up to date.

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    PS....I've had a £30 box, and they allow you to watch tv but not record and also the cheaper the model the less functions you have, like sorting channels and selecting favourites.
    I was wondering about recording things off it - it looked like it would take the place of my VHS recorder in terms of sockets and I wondered how I could get round that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    I've done my research on this, i promise you won't be disappointed. This will replace all yours recording on VHS.
    I do actually need a new video as well as mine is woeful - just to record programmes I can't get to see. So I could use that for recording then?

And could I still have a DVD player plugged in to watch dance and rental DVDs?

I was wondering about recording things off it - it looked like it would take the place of my VHS recorder in terms of sockets and I wondered how I could get round that.
    I do actually need a new video as well as mine is woeful - just to record programmes I can't get to see. So I could use that for recording then?

And could I still have a DVD player plugged in to watch dance and rental DVDs?

Yep, tv cable goes to Freeview box, then out into video and from that into TV. If you have TV with 2 scarts (at the back) then yes you can plus the freeview box & DVD player to it, else you get a scart splitter.

Lee

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Personally I wouldnt go for Lees suggestion as it only records to Hard Drive, much better to have a DVD recorder as well.

Something like an LG product here for about £199 with an 160gb hard drive and dvd writer to keep permanent backups - you need the £25 freeview box as well but its well worth it especially as they play DIVx files which there are plenty of on the net.

You can get dvd recorders with freeview built in but they seem to be more expensive, better off with the extra box.

I think the cheapest and best option for people (like me) who cant afford all singing all dancing is to buy a cheap freeview box @£30+ a cheap video recorder £50 =£80, plenty of change and you can plug in dvd too!

For full functioning, you need TV, video (or recordable DVD) and Digibox all to have two scart sockets, the three scart leads. (Available from Asda for about £3 and from Dixons for about £30 )
    If you have a DVD player and a video recorder, I don't know what you do...

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel
    I think the cheapest and best option for people (like me) who cant afford all singing all dancing is to buy a cheap freeview box @£30+ a cheap video recorder £50 =£80, plenty of change and you can plug in dvd too!

Do you have a PC ? because a freeview card is about £35 and you can then record direct to the hard drive at hi quality (almost dvd and much better than vhs but depends on what is broadcast) . You can watch on the pc or if you have video out plug that into your tv. oh and with a little bit of effort you can eliminate the adverts from the recording !

\geek mode on\
    If you want to go mad you can link this to a Hauppauge mediamvp (another £40) and play your recordings over a network on a standard tv(or one in each room etc). (it will also play mp3s) but it can't yet stream live tv direct you have to set it to record and watch the recording (while its being made as it were) .

anyone using Mythtv ?
    \geek mode off

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov
    For full functioning, you need TV, video (or recordable DVD) and Digibox all to have two scart sockets, the three scart leads. (Available from Asda for about £3 and from Dixons for about £30 )
    If you have a DVD player and a video recorder, I don't know what you do...
    Well I have both. All together now:

The antenna cable goes into the digibox
    The digibox is connected to the VCR antenna socket
    The VCR is connected to the antenna socket of the tv
    The DVD player is connected to the scart socket of the tv
    The foot bone's connected to the anklebone
    The anklebone's connected to the kneebone
    The kneebone's connected to the thigh bone
    ~snip~
    The neckbone's connected to the headbone and the headbone watches the tv, video, or DVD.

See, quite simple really...

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    snip<<
    Something like an LG product here for about £199 with an 160gb hard drive and dvd writer to keep permanent backups - you need the £25 freeview box as well but its well worth it especially as they play DIVx files which there are plenty of on the net. snip>>

Would just add to this: Don't be tempted to go for a model that is only a DVD Recorder (£80+ ), these may seem good value but are a waste of money imo. They are a pain to use and end up costing more the the HDD versions when you take into account all the DVDR(W)s that it'll b*gger up using it.

Don't listen to me then

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm King
    Well I have both. All together now:

The antenna cable goes into the digibox
    The digibox is connected to the VCR antenna socket
    The VCR is connected to the antenna socket of the tv
    The DVD player is connected to the scart socket of the tv
    The foot bone's connected to the anklebone
    The anklebone's connected to the kneebone
    The kneebone's connected to the thigh bone
    ~snip~
    The neckbone's connected to the headbone and the headbone watches the tv, video, or DVD.

See, quite simple really...
    that sounds pretty much how mine is linked up although i could have never explained it, being as i fluked it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    Personally I wouldnt go for Lees suggestion as it only records to Hard Drive, much better to have a DVD recorder as well.

Something like an LG product here for about £199 with an 160gb hard drive and dvd writer to keep permanent backups - you need the £25 freeview box as well but its well worth it especially as they play DIVx files which there are plenty of on the net.

You can get dvd recorders with freeview built in but they seem to be more expensive, better off with the extra box.
    But it's a twin freeview box, and can record up to 14 days in advance, so you can watch a channel and record a channel, or you can record 2 things at the same time (and even watch a previously recorded programme). Can this dvd thingy do that.

Girls, how many time do you want to watch/record two things that are on a tthe same time?

Do you ever really lend people your recordings?

Lee

Thread Information