Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crippling Dance Shoes!!!

Donna

Re: Crippling Dance Shoes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Anna
    Well I can't tell you how to make it better but I can assure you it's completely normal as I suffer from exactly the same thing when I wear 3 inch heels. Lately I have gone back to wearing my 2 and 1/2s and will only wear my 3 inch if I'm wearing a skirt (as they are flesh coloured and look better).. note: It may be summer but I admit I have been avoiding wearing a skirt..

See, that's the best thing about living down under though...you can wear skirts whenever you want to. Not in this damn country you can't though cos it's too blummin freezing! Oh yeah, and I love flesh coloured shoes too! They go with anything. I bought a really nice pair of white satin ones recently and I'm going to dye them red for the competition to match my outfit. They're only a two inch heel as well.

My feet probably are deformed by now but I still feel pain.. and yes the bunnions myth is true so WATCH OUT..

The only tips I can give you are.. don't wear them to and from the venue, in fact, wear them as little as possible other than when dancing.. sometimes it helps if you put strapping tape over your toes (lessens the pressure from the straps.

Well I was trying my new 3 inch heels to get used to them in time for the comp and I'm still suffering after (silly me) trying them just one more time. I've decided to have the heel taken down on them now. They're bronze and look fab.

You could try those heel/ball of the foot gel cushion things but I've found that they slide straight out of my shoes even when I try taping them to the insole of my shoe.. Other than that... lots of cool foot spray and sitting down whenever you aren't dancing?
    [/QUOTE]

Yeah I heard they're not so good so think I'll try the strapping tape. Are you coming to Blackpool?
    Last edited by Donna; 30th-January-2006 at 04:20 PM.

Donna

Well I tried those dance shoes on again and I have to say...a bit of pain still, but no where near as bad as last time. (wonder if I'm getting used to them after all then) I'm not getting to excited...I might get BUNNIONS soon!!

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Think your shoes are uncomfortable????

Take a look at these!

The latest craze from Japan!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So You think people are mad today???

Take a look at this Gasha girl's feet!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

I notice a big difference between my 2 and 2 1/2 inch heels - when I try on 3 inch they just seem massive, I don't think I'd stand a chance at dancing in them! Too likely to fall and break an ankle, not worth the risk for me!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Think your shoes are uncomfortable????

Take a look at these!

The latest craze from Japan!
    I don't think they're meant to be danced in, Lory...

I don't think it is normal to have crushed toes, I'd say that was a poor fit, the heel is balanced at a point that isn't right for you, probably too far back, or there's a problem with the fastenings. I think there is something wrong with that pair of shoes. I wonder if a wrong balance or poor fastenings could also explain why the Party Feet don't stick - I've had this problem with some street shoes, but never with dancing shoes. However, I do always put them in before wearing the shoes for the first time, so there's no oil or dust or dead skin to unstick them. I've also noticed they're a lot stickier than they used to be, so maybe lots of people had your problem, just not me.

I think tiredness in the balls of the feet is normal, but not crushed toes.

The lowest heels I normally dance in are 7.5cm and the highest are my new CiFs at 10cm - those last ones make the backs of my calves tired, and I definitely wouldn't recommend them to a recent beginner, but they don't crush my toes. I also have a 5cm pair which I sometimes use as a change if I'm doing a long workshop or something.

However, all my dancing shoes except my Werner Kerns (7.5cm, soft as butter) are made specifically for AT; the soles are built and the heels are balanced in a particular way, and some of them have extra padding at the ball of the foot. In AT you are always walking backwards and pivoting on the balls of your feet anyway, and the heels are basically there to give you a rest, so the job they're designed to do is a bit different from a street shoe or a shoe for most other dances.

The ones I can dance in for longest without the balls of my feet getting tired are my Taras, which have a 1cm thick cork sole. It gives me at least an extra hour. Some people don't like the platform - I love it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mshedgehog View Post
    The ones I can dance in for longest without the balls of my feet getting tired are my Taras, which have a 1cm thick cork sole. It gives me at least an extra hour. Some people don't like the platform - I love it.
    Ooooh!

Can you buy them anywhere in the UK?

I do think it's worth breaking in new dance shoes gently. For me, three hours in the first outing would be too much, regardless of heels.

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    So You think people are mad today???

Take a look at this Gasha girl's feet!
    uh... eeeewww?! (tries to swallow last bit of sandwich.. guuulp!)

That is awful.

Hey the last pic of those shoes lory posted.. I seen those on This Morning. They brought a model out on set... I'm surprised she made it on set! How the hell she could walk in those, I don't know! They had no heels! I was in hysterics thinking... imagine if you fell backwards! You'd have no heel to stop you you'd just topple straight back!

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Ooooh!

Can you buy them anywhere in the UK?
    Not that I know of, I bought mine from Diva Boutique after a series of emails about sizing. They ask you to try them on on carpet and you can send them back if they don't fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    Imagine if you fell backwards!
    Take a step back?

I think also everyone has a 'natural' heel height where they feel most comfortable. I did a fashion course a few years ago which included lectures on shoes and they said that if you cross one leg over the other and let you bare foot rest lightly on the floor, the distance between your heel and the floor will be your natural heel height. If you look at most men's feet when they have their legs crossed, their foot will usually be at right angles to their legs, indicating a very low heel whereas most women's feet will fall at an angle of about 45 degrees.

Having said that though, as Ms Hedgehog indicated, I think getting shoes designed for purpose is the most important aspect. If they are well designed and well made and have the proper support, they'll be comfortable for hours. It's really worth shelling out for good shoes if you're going to be on your feet for hours on end!

BTW Don't want to be pedantic but I think the oriental lady with the deformed feet is Chinese not Geisha (Japanese). This practice of foot binding was outlawed in China I think in about the 1930's but it prevailed in many areas much later. In the autobiography Wild Swans, author Jung Chang gives very graphic (and horrifying!) descriptions of her grandmother's bound feet. And we think our feet are painful!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mshedgehog View Post

I have two pairs from this company, purchased in San Francisco, I have them purely to look at these days but I do remember that the ankle straps are very short. I'm no whippet but I honestly do not have bouncy castle turrets for ankles and I had to put an extra hole right at the end of the strap - an INCH from the original last hole.

So, suggest checking er, the length of the holes, or something similar if you have an proper ankle rather than a pepperami at the end of your leg
    C

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Take a step back?
    Which foot? Left or right? Sorry!

Thread Information